Busy Line of Death!!!

Charles Stoot

Dear 343 Industries,

Hi my name is Charles J. Stoot and I have a suggestion regarding map loading in custom game. So I will begin. In Halo 3 Bungie put a limited file download of 100 maps, pictures, videos, games types, etc. This was not a problem except you had to pick and chose which maps where your Favorited over others and you could only pick 50 maps and 50 game types to go along with them. The system they had worked for only your own work but not for others. Bungie soon realized that they needed to not limit the download content.

So in halo Reach Bungie decided to put no limit on the amount of download. This was find until you hit about 300 downloads of maps, pictures, videos etc. I had to go through and split my account between hard drives so that I could sort out the awesome from the I like it but I don't want to play with it with my friends, and the junk. Before I did this it took me about 15 minuets before I could view my list of maps. This was also the case for viewing pictures except when you viewed videos it took twice as long because you had to go to what you wanted (pictures, videos, etc) then go to what map it was on, then you had to pick what it was. Now if you picked the wrong video you had to repeat the process.

I have a solution. Like a computer for instance, witch an Xbox basically is, it only views the files that are needed at that view of screen, and keeps all else out of the way. This is so that the computer can run smoothly without being overloaded with data. Lets say your on your desktop of your computer and you click on the Start menu. Well when you click on your start menu files pop up but whats this your computer didn't slow down. The Reason for it is that the computer only posts the names. Then lets say you click on all programs. Well did you see your computer lag? It did the same thing as when you clicked the start menu, loading only the names of the material. Then when you click on o lets say Microsoft office it will open what is needed to run that software. This can be applied to maps in the custom game lobby and to loading other files.

For instance when you click on your maps in the custom game lobby in reach, you see a list of Bungie made maps, and when you click on one of these maps you see a list of other maps that where made by Bungie but wait whats this you see the busy symbol for all the halo universe maps that you downloaded. So lets say you click on Forge World and you click one of Bungies' maps you play that for a while then you decide lets go play on the spire. So you switch maps to the spire, now spire starts to load. The data for the spire loads when you click the spire after moving from Bungie map to Bungie map. Now what if the same thing where to happen to the Halo community maps for Halo 4. You see the list before it loads the complete content. This is so that you don't have to wait for ever for the map and game types, all your maps and game types, to load all at once, you just see a list of the maps or game types and you get to pick. Then it loads the content for that one Item after you picked it.

I know that was long and tiresome and mabee not a big deal but you really should take this into consideration for Halo 4. It may not be a big deal but I always hear my friends say I have way to many maps so it takes for ever to load the content.

Thanks For Listening

​Your Typical Halo Gamer,

Charles J. Stoot

"It Is Luck That You Failed"

Actually, that is false and there is no sure fire way to fix or redo it to not slow down the 360 load times. The 360 is "like" a computer, but it does not operate like one. For this particular instance, you are referring to a computer using RAM, to store recently viewed or used items in operating memory, which take low priority and do not get stored as dedicated memory areas. The xbox 360 dumps all memory and temporary data every so often, especially after matches or when switching maps. The 360 does not have enough available RAM to keep buffered data locked so it can be accessed quickly. This is why even when you play a map like Powerhouse (125mb), then play a smaller one like Swordbase (115mb, then switch back to Powerhouse, it still takes the same amount of time to load it. Even though only 125mb was used to load Powerhouse, this was in it's compiled, compressed form. In reality, a single multiplayer map takes up to as much 1 gig of ram or more to load it uncompressed. Remember, not all the tag data the game needs is inside that one single map, it must also uncompress and load resources from the mainmenu.map file as well as the shared.map file.

That being said, you stated that 50-100 maps was not enough, but now you wanna complain that after having 300 you need a better way to sort it out? Heres an idea genius, WATCH WHAT YOU DOWNLOAD AND MANAGE YOUR MAP SPACE BETTER! No amount of organized UI's will help you, if you keep downloading maps, forget what you have, or have maps that you dont need. Sure it would be nice to browse large collections of maps, but how many of those maps that you had did you "actually" use often? I'm guessing maybe around 20-30 maybe different ones a week. Anything above that, and you would either have to be not working, not going to school, etc... to get that much play time.

The point I am trying to make with wall of text and rambling is this: Due to hardware restrictions there is no likely way to slow down the constant lag your system will expereince once it reaches a certain amount of maps in the list. Map lists are not just simple text that can be loaded. each map is quickly scanned and the system gathers it's name, date, etc.. from the actual map save file.

• Like 2