The Future of Gaming

Cooliest

Next Generation Consoles

IGN has released a video of all the information they have gathered on the

next generation of gaming platforms.

Nintendo has its Wii U, Sony has the PS4, and Microsoft has the Xbox 720 or "Next-box"

The video also goes over some pretty impressive technology that has to do with hands on capabilities.

In the video skip to 1:04 to hear about Nintendo's Wii U.

Skip to 2:50 to hear about the Sony's PS4.

Skip to 5:00 to hear about Microsoft's Next-Box.

Video by:

IGN

In the video there is some hard bashes at Sony for how they presented the PS3.

I have to agree, the PS3 had a terrible release and still hasn't made up for it.

Xbox 360 is releasing a "trial run" of Xbox Smart Glass on a series of different games come this holiday season.

Then lastly the ground breaking hardware of Obscura Digital.

We've been given a chance to dive not only into the world of Next Gen Xbox but all of it's competitors as well.

If you'd like to watch the other episode you can find them here.

• Like 3

I skipped straight to Xbox and i can't say i like what i heard about the 720. I'm a gamer, i want to play games, not have more features for movies and all those extras.

Ya I had somewhat of the same thought... But I'm sure there is much more to come that we are not seeing yet. :fingerscrossed:

Right now it looks like the future of gaming lies in the hands of the PC and mobile devises with consoles caught in a strange middle ground.

From the looks of things all of the consoles are looking to go toward casual gaming currently to address the new threat posed by Apple and Google with their phones and tablets. This will most likely be the cause of their downfall since why would a casual gamer play on an xbox when they could just play on their phone, it's simply a matter of convenience. Would you rather go out to your local gamestop and pay $60 for the latest Madden game to then go home, put in the disk, turn on the xbox, turn on the TV, get to the right channel, navigate the poorly designed menu, and then play for an hour. Or, would you rather take your phone out of your pocket, click on the app store, pay a dollar for angry birds, and then play that for however long you want to.

Consoles might have lasted a bit longer if they had tried to appeal to more of the hardcore gaming community by increasing the price and the power. This would have appealed to people in the same way that playing games on phones and tablets are appealing, convenience. It would have been a simple matter of people not wanting to pay the money or put in the time to make their own computer and instead go for the cheaper and already built game console that is still pretty powerful.

But they didn't do that. Instead they decided to try to fit into an already perfected market which will cause their downfall.

• Like 1

Right now it looks like the future of gaming lies in the hands of the PC and mobile devises with consoles caught in a strange middle ground.

From the looks of things all of the consoles are looking to go toward casual gaming currently to address the new threat posed by Apple and Google with their phones and tablets. This will most likely be the cause of their downfall since why would a casual gamer play on an xbox when they could just play on their phone, it's simply a matter of convenience. Would you rather go out to your local gamestop and pay $60 for the latest Madden game to then go home, put in the disk, turn on the xbox, turn on the TV, get to the right channel, navigate the poorly designed menu, and then play for an hour. Or, would you rather take your phone out of your pocket, click on the app store, pay a dollar for angry birds, and then play that for however long you want to.

Consoles might have lasted a bit longer if they had tried to appeal to more of the hardcore gaming community by increasing the price and the power. This would have appealed to people in the same way that playing games on phones and tablets are appealing, convenience. It would have been a simple matter of people not wanting to pay the money or put in the time to make their own computer and instead go for the cheaper and already built game console that is still pretty powerful.

But they didn't do that. Instead they decided to try to fit into an already perfected market which will cause their downfall.

Hrrmmm... I see your point but I on the other hand will always be a die hard Console man. Portable devices don't enthrall me, but I do see this trend starting to take over. It's kind of crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

I skipped straight to Xbox and i can't say i like what i heard about the 720. I'm a gamer, i want to play games, not have more features for movies and all those extras.

Yeah.... we'll have to see. The finished product has yet to be announced, so I hope they still add a few more game-related changes.

Yeah.... we'll have to see. The finished product has yet to be announced, so I hope they still ass a few more game-related changes.

Lol. *add* haha.

Anyways. Makes me wonder what kind of cool features people would want out of a new system as far as gaming goes. (beside Graphics and lag yada yada) I feel like there is not much they can add.

Lol. *add* haha.

Anyways. Makes me wonder what kind of cool features people would want out of a new system as far as gaming goes. (beside Graphics and lag yada yada) I feel like there is not much they can add.

Lol dude... I had no idea I failed so much lolz. I pressed the "s" key instead of "d", but its corrected now, so we're all good. Lol!

• Like 1

Agreed, though you have to take into account that Microsoft wants the Xbox--as well as Nintendo and Sony wants their console--to be in every household, and for that to be possible they'll need to improve other aspects in the console, not just the 'gaming' one.

As a gamer, they expect you to simply buy the new gen-console to be able to play the new games on it, but for people who rarely (or not at all) play games on the console, there must be features that gives the consumer a reason to buy it.

• Like 3

Is it just me, or does the new Xbox look very... boring?

I just don't think enough info has been released but I does look boring at this point. But if I know Microsoft they will beef up and bump up all aspects of this next gen console to be the best. (like no one eve was, to sell them all is their real test , to play them is our cause. Pokemon)

To be honest, as far as gaming goes, I don't see Microsoft ever really having a NEED for a brand new console. We had the original Xbox 360, which was all fine and dandy, and they then began releasing the Elite, and the Slim, which were the exact same console with a few cosmetic and some technological advancements. Video games are developing - graphics, online experiences, what have you. But the need for an all-new console just isn't there, in my opinion. I could see the need for perhaps a faster processor and maybe even Blu-Ray capability..but other than that, I don't know really what else Microsoft is going to do in order to persuade anybody to buy a new $300 console. Another 'updated' version of the 360 would do just fine, perhaps with some new software - but I guess they'll have to slap a new name on it in order to keep up with Sony and Nintendo as the next generation of consoles comes out.

I'm a PC gamer, and I feel that the gaming industry is dying. The future of gaming doesn't look promising to me, especially since a "good" game today is a milked, generic FPS shooter with lacking story and lots of Michael Bay moments... In addition to that, everyone is focusing on consoles. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but consoles have limited potential and they are halting the PC evolution and experience.

• Like 1

I'm a PC gamer, and I feel that the gaming industry is dying. The future of gaming doesn't look promising to me, especially since a "good" game today is a milked, generic FPS shooter with lacking story and lots of Michael Bay moments... In addition to that, everyone is focusing on consoles. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but consoles have limited potential and they are halting the PC evolution and experience.

Ya more or less. I feel that this is partially true. I still think there are some that rise to the top. But yes there is a huge eye on how to improve systems rather than the games that come with them.

To be honest, as far as gaming goes, I don't see Microsoft ever really having a NEED for a brand new console. We had the original Xbox 360, which was all fine and dandy, and they then began releasing the Elite, and the Slim, which were the exact same console with a few cosmetic and some technological advancements. Video games are developing - graphics, online experiences, what have you. But the need for an all-new console just isn't there, in my opinion. I could see the need for perhaps a faster processor and maybe even Blu-Ray capability..but other than that, I don't know really what else Microsoft is going to do in order to persuade anybody to buy a new $300 console. Another 'updated' version of the 360 would do just fine, perhaps with some new software - but I guess they'll have to slap a new name on it in order to keep up with Sony and Nintendo as the next generation of consoles comes out.

Wrong. The XBOX is actually ancient tech-wise, and that's the reason why exclusives for the PS3 has slightly better graphics, engines, etc, because they don't have to cater to the 360. The 360 is using dinosaur tech, to get perspective, gaming PC's, the high end stuff, are obsolete within a few months. The 360 has been out for over five years, and that makes it a dinosaur. With a new, updated console, we'll see far better games, the kind of stuff the super gaming computers currently run. There will be better graphics, better engines, better framerates, better loading times, etc. The reason why most games these days look similar is because the maximum has been reached. 343 made Halo 4 better by tweaks. They can't do an overhaul and make a huge engine, because the 360 is maxed out. Unless you want to be stuck in the doldrums, a new console is needed.

Unless they come up with some way you don't need a stand alone console to play games like COD and Halo on your tv and have a dedicated controller, then consoles will never die. These people that are playing games on mobile devices are parents and kids (not hardcore gamers). I for one can not get the same experience on a four inch screen using only my thumbs, yeah it passes the time when i'm waiting in line somewhere, but it's a gimmick. I know i'm not the only one who feels the gaming industry is getting stale and unoriginal and i think that in the past, new consoles gave the industry the boost it needed and inspired developers to create new games, engines, and original ideas.