Halo 4 CTF

Spectral Jester

From the gameplay I've seen of ctf, most map variants have a banshee and either scorpion/mantis. 343 really does not need 2 powerful vehicles in ctf modes whether its 5 on 5 or larger. There really only needs to be 1 major vehicle and like a warthog. By adding too many vehicles its gonna turn ctf into teams owning both main vehicles and farming kills. I hope they limit ctf games to a warthog and MAYBE 1 powerful vehicle it that.

To start off, I think the best multiplayer in the series was Halo 2. This whole mechanic of not being able to drop the flag and you are able to move at the same speed does not promote team play at all. Objectives games in Halo 2 were always tense, if you had the flag you were very vulnerable and had to depend on your teammates or if they were not around you would drop the flag and try to fight off the attacker. I remember in Halo 2 it was a one hit kill when you had to jump melee with the flag or bomb, but I feel they have just dumbed down objectives game types. I will never ever forgive them for changing assault to where the bomb is already armed and it has a countdown instead of arming it on the spot. I just wish objective game types would go back to the Halo 2 settings.

• 2 weeks later...

They should at least give the option to turn this off in custom games or something

In custom games I'm sure they will. And honestly the only MAIN reason why people don't like is the ability that others abuse to drop and pick up the flag it allows them to get it from point A to point B faster.

I hope CTF isn't solely based on how well a team utilizes vehicles and I also hope that a simple pickup of the flag carrier with a warthog doesn't heavily affect the outcome of the game. This may be caused by all the big maps tailor made for vehicle use. This may be fun for Big Team but wouldn't be nearly as fun for 4v4. Guarding the flag carrier on foot is a great challenge in itself and I would personally like to see smaller maps for that intense on-foot CTF gameplay.

I don't like how i can't drop the flag anymore...

Kinda kills off about every good strategy ever devised!

not really it just opens up new strategies.

No..

Not really, infact I see no benefit from it.

A good strategist acknowledges that adaptation is often the difference between a successful strategy and a failed strategy. So get creative or get left behind.

• Like 1

Considering CTF, to my mind at least, is the gametype which made Halo... or certainly the one we used to play 90% of the time I am pretty damn disappointed with the CTF we've been given in Halo 4.

The game just seems to be crying out for an 8vs8, flag at home to score, CTF on Ragnarok... because frankly the map currently feels a bit useless on any of the existing gametypes. It's either a DMR camp fest on slayer and KOTH or largely underutilised on the poor assimilation of CTF that currently exists...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CTF is my favourite game mode in previous titles and my first response when I saw the change was concern that they'd ruin it. Having said that I can't really fault the new style. Not allowing the flag to be dropped makes protecting the carrier more important as they can't just drop it to pull out a power weapon whenever threatened. Scoring when the flag was home could be great but I saw too many matches that became hide the flag fests; the current system still forces you to prioritise scoring against defending. The flagnum is fine. To be honest the only thing I think I would have liked to see remain was a slight speed decrease for the carrier but it's not a big issue.