Should the Kill-feed be colour-coded?

duffman51

Colour-code the Kill-feed?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Kill-feed in Halo 4 be colour-coded?

• Yes, the Kill-feed should be colour-coded, with the gamertag of each player presented in the colour of their respective team.
    • No, the Kill-feed should remain entirely blue, as it always has been.

I think that colour-coding the Kill-feed so that the Gamertag of each player is presented in the colour of their respective team. It would make the Kill-feed easier to process at a glance. What do you guys and girls think? 343 could probably add this feature to the game before its release.

• Like 2

This is a great idea! A lot of players just go into matchmaking alone and don't know their teammates and foes by name, and this would make it much easier for them to work out what's happening. This really can't be that difficult to implement, I'd love to see it as part of the finished game!

• Like 1

i can't see any problems with it but they should not have the kill-feed in every player colour if it is FFA that could be too messy

i mean

player 1 killed player 2

player 4 killed player 6

player 5 killed player 1

player 4 killed player 2

player 4 killed player 5

and it will be hard if many players have the same color

• Like 2

Well, the colour coding would only be for team based games, for team mates to differentiate the teams. In a FFA or something similar everyone is you enemy so colour coding the names is useless because you do not need to know who is on your team in those game modes.

• Like 4

I don't really pay attention to the kill-feed all that much. I watch my teammates waypoints to determine who's shooting who.

How it works for me:

I pay constant attention to two things, what's in front of me and what my teammates waypoints are doing. If I see one go red, I glance at the killfeed to see how they were killed and to strategize accordingly (if they were pummeled/assassinated then the enemy is nearby their X, if sniped then the enemy has a sniper, stuff like that). If I see one go yellow, I COULD glance at the killfeed to see who they killed, but that would waste time. I don't even have to look at the killfeed to see text pop up confirming my teammates kill.

If I can't (for whatever reason) see my team's waypoints, then I can tell by a glance if the killfeed says "____was killed by___" or "___killed ___ with". The first appears when your teammates die, the second when they get a kill. It takes a bit of practice to be able to determine who killed who, but things taking a bit of practice is a running theme with Halo. What I'm getting at is, while I wouldn't mind your idea being implemented (I take any advantage I can get), it isn't strictly necessary.

Also, about the weapon symbols... I don't see it being a loved feature of Halo. Especially combined with the teammate waypoint feature. To be completely honest, if I saw my teammate's waypoint go X and saw a shotgun/sword symbol next to the killfeed, then I would spam the crap out of that area with grenades out of instinct. Since I don't normally use grenades, I would more than likely have 2-4 to throw as well. Not to mention the rest of my teammates who saw the same thing and had the same instincts. This would result in shotgun guy getting nade spammed, and subsequently raging. Now, put yourself in shotgun guy's shoes. You just got the shotgun and got a kill with it, only to be auto-nade spammed because the killfeed called you out.

Not to mention the difficulty of creating a tiny sub-avatar for each one of Halo's different weapons. Halo is a game with a rather large arsenal, and creating an avatar that wouldn't push the killfeed into the entirety of the left side would be quite difficult, in my opinion.

• Like 3

All valid points. :) But perhaps a concise colour-coded feed, with symbols could prove to be even less intrusive. Instead of "___ killed by ___". We could have "___ * ___".

The * would represent a symbol of the gun. It would save space, be easier to recognise at a glance, and overall, help the experience.

Why not let people toggle it on/off, or toggle the colours?

Even if creating a specific symbol for each weapon is far-fetched, a colour-coding system would be quite feasible, at the very least. Please 343i? Hope you're listening! It's only a minor tweak that I'm sure we'd all appreciate!

in halo 3, the kill feed already is color coded... lol, with a ranking system, players who know they have to learn the game to make their accounts better, notice this stuff

when an enemy kills a team mate, the feed initially appears red before fading into the neutral color

when a team mate kills an enemy, the feed initially appears green before fading

its just the right amount of color code to make you subconsciously aware.

@one, how would you feel about a picture of the weapon used on your team mate, above their dead body, instead of an "X"?

This is a simple, but good idea. I'd too say that this would work well in team based gametypes, but i'll go even further and say that it'd only be good in gametypes where there are only 2 teams, red and blue. Because maybe there will be something like Multi Team again, with 4 teams, and even that would be too messy in my opinion.

I think that it should just be white. Get to know your teammates guys :)

While it's good to know your teammates, a lot of people go into matchmaking by themselves. It's very, very difficult to learn who's on your team and who isn't when you have a whole new set of players every single game. I do start picking it up sort of halfway through a game, but it's far better to know from the start - especially if you have something as devastating as a Rocket Launcher on the map, when knowing whether it's controlled by your team or the opponents can be incredibly important.

are you guys sure its not already color coded in reach? because it already is in halo 3...

when your team gets a kill the feed appears green as it just pops up, and then changes to white as it drops down to regular size

when the enemy team kills a team mate, the feed appears red just before it changes

its nice to have it work like that, neat, subtle