LOTR: Minas Tirith

Robius5991

Intro:

Hey 343industries.org users, I'm here once again to post another of my maps. Keep in mind that this is a cooperatively-built map made by myself (Robius5991) and my friend (Xx10chickensXx). This was originally thought up by Xx10chickensXx, who started the project and then I ended up joining him in its construction, so the finished version will be found on his Fileshare. I would like to mention that TheHaloForgeEpidemic did inspire a few aspects for the map (especially the gametype). Once again, like in my Skyrim map, I will be using some LOTR "lingo" to describe certain aspects of the map.

Gamertags: Robius5991 and Xx10chickensXx

Map: LOTR: Minas Tirith

Gametype: LOTR: Assault on Gondor

The map (LOTR: Minas Tirith):

To begin, I would like to say that we tried to keep the feel of the great city while making this map, but for gameplay and aesthetics-sake, we had to cut it down to a 5-level structure instead of its original 7-level design. I would also like to point out that thanks to the specific gametype, weapons will not be found on the map. So, the game will start on the first floor. The Elites (or Orcs) have broken through the main gate of the city, but its upper terrace has collapsed and barred the door-way. Retreated into the left corner of the city, the Orcs will spawn in three close-grouped areas near their bomb. The goal of this phase is to charge past the houses and debris and plant a bomb at the barred gate of the second floor. The Spartans (or Gondorian army) spawn in-front of the gate to the second floor (and at one location on the second floor) and must protect their position. Once the gate is breached, the next objective for the Orcs is to take either a small temple or a market building on the second floor. The third floor is accessible, but a gate blocks access to the fourth floor until the next phase. The Orcs will spawn closer to these objectives and the Gondorians are forced higher into their city. The Orcs will also receive their hero-unit (Custom Powerup - 45 seconds) and a man-cannon to give them a second point of entry. Once one of the posts is captured, the final phase begins. Both armies have varied spawn areas and the Gondorians now receive their hero-unit. Running up the city, past the barricades and trebuchets, the Orcs must now reach the top of the city, capture the core (or crown of Gondor) and bring it to the peak of the mountain. The white tree of Gondor is easily seen once at the top and on the throne of the castle, the crown may be located. The Orcs will receive a teleporter on the first floor to get access to the tope, but they may also use a neutral man-cannon on the fourth floor or the main tunnel-cannon to reach their objective. I can only hope that my pictures serve better than my words to portray the map we have made!

The gametype (LOTR: Assault on Gondor):

To begin, as I mentioned in the introduction, we did use TheHaloForgeEpidemic's gametype as our basis, because to be honest it was absolutely brilliant and I want to make sure they get full credit for its creation. However, we did change the phase layout to better suit our map. I will now describe its changes:

Phase #1: Assault - 3 minutes long (10 second arm / 5 second disarm)

Phase #2: Territories - 5 minutes long (30 second capture / 7 second defence)

Phase #3: CTF - 4 minutes long (30 second sudden death / 45 second core return)

For the classes, although they are the same as THFE's version, for those who do not know them, here they are:

Phase #1:

Spartans:

Warrior - Energy Sword - Sprint

Elites:

Scout - Energy Sword - Evade

Phase #2:

Spartans:

Sharpshooter - Needler Rifle - Sprint

Elites:

Berserker - Gravity Hammer / Spiker - Sprint

Warrior - Energy Sword / Spiker - Hologram

Phase #3:

Spartans:

Sharpshooter - Needler Rifle - Sprint

Champion - Energy Sword - Armor Lock

Elites:

Berserker - Gravity Hammer / Spiker - Sprint

Warrior - Energy Sword / Spiker - Hologram

Champion - Gravity Hammer / Energy Sword - None

Heroes:

Can jump higher (a bit) run fast and kill quicker (but only for 45 seconds).

Once again, full class design and game settings credit (besides phases) goes to TheHaloForgeEpidemic. on the same note, I will mention that player speed is at 110% and jump height is at 75%. The damage tables are also turned. It will take 2-3 sword hits to kill a player and a full Needler rifle clip to down an adversary. We would also like to mention that because players may survive large falls (because of a gametype flaw that we could not resolve) kill boundaries were placed around the mountain, so beware where you jump. Also, it may seem easy to escape the map... but i do not suggest attempting it. Our kill boundaries are unforgiving! So, once again, for the reasons listed above, we will please ask you download our gametype to play with this map (not because we want to steal any of THFE's downloads, but because the phases are differently set up.)

Screenshots:

In this section, I will be posting pictures, along with a small description of each image, to give players a good idea of how the map looks.

Lotr1.jpg

The initial loadout camera.

Lotr2.jpg

The Orc spawn areas for the first phase.

Lotr3.jpg

The Gondorian Army's spawn areas at the opposing end of the first floor.

Lotr7.jpg

A battle taking place in front of the destroyed main gate, in the center of the main floor.

Lotr12.jpg

The objective for the first round (the barricaded second floor gate) - (The bars will disapear once the bomb has been placed).

Lotr9.jpg

A man-cannon is added near the Orcs' hero-room (The shield-door room in the background) to give them a second point of entry to their second phase objectives.

Lotr8.jpg

The market building (one of the second phase objectives).

Lotr5.jpg

The small temple building (the other second phase objective) - the man-cannon drops off near where the blue Elite is in the picture.

Lotr10.jpg

From the third floor (and second floor) the Gondorians can use the ramparts to jump over the wall and onto the lower levels. That barrier in the background disapeers after the second objective is captured, thus opening up the next floors.

Lotr4.jpg

At the end of the second phase, another man-cannon spawns for the Orcs, bringing them to tunnel which leads to the top floor.

Lotr13.jpg

A trebuchet that has already launched its stone and has been abandoned. (A slight alteration from THFE's awesome design).

Lotr15.jpg

A second trebuchet on the ramp to the fourth floor. On the right we see the Gondorian hero-room on the mountain side. Then, in the center on the fourth floor we see another man-cannon which gives an alternative route to the top. Keep in mind, this entire area only becomes available in the last phase.

Lotr18.jpg

This ramp is the tunnel-way which will lead to the top of the city. Where you see the far-left Elite is the drop-off point of the second floor man-cannon (only during third phase).

Lotr24.jpg

Also, during the third phase, another point-of-entry appears as a teleporter on the main floor (which leads to the top). [We weren't happy putting these man-cannons and teleporters in the man, but to keep the gameplay fair and flowing, we needed to make sure the Orcs had 3 different points of entry to the core area.]

Lotr22.jpg

The White Tree of Gondor. (Don't worry you can't walk through it.. we've seen to that).

Lotr25.jpg

Another angle of the courtyard, highlighting the receiver node's position.

lotr20.jpg

Working their way through the castle (all built by Xx10chickensXx), the Orcs will soon re-enter the courtyard and deliver the core to the tip of the mountain.

Lotr27.jpg

It's always in the Orcs' advantage to have soldier clear the way for the crown-carrier.

Lotr28.jpg

The end of a successful Orc Assault.

Lotr29.jpg

An overview of the main city. (Sadly we couldn't show the castle because this was the top height I could reach in Forge World.)

Conclusion:

Well, it seems that I am finally done with describing this map. I would like to say that I loved making this map with Xx10chickensXx and I know that we both hope everyone likes our first cooperatively-made map! Please leave me your feedback on our work, be it positive or simply constructive criticism, and we will both take it into account for our future maps.

post-30271-0-89024500-1347816678_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Why is there only like 2 invasion maps. :( I want more invasion on here people. Maybe I'll have to whip out the forge. But nonetheless coming in here to be disappointed was masked by seeing this map again. I still have yet to play it. Not sure why but regardless I will. I know it ;)

Why is there only like 2 invasion maps. :( I want more invasion on here people. Maybe I'll have to whip out the forge. But nonetheless coming in here to be disappointed was masked by seeing this map again. I still have yet to play it. Not sure why but regardless I will. I know it ;)

I totally agree, it's too bad that there haven't been more maps shared in this part of the forum. I'm so happy you really like the map CooliestRap! Feel free to come back here once you've finished your testing and tell me what you thought of the gameplay experience!

wow awsome

Lol, thanks dude. I'm glad you like it. And, as to eveyone else (including spartan4104) I will share all your kind comments with Xx10chickensXx so he can also see all the awesome things you guys have said about our map. Thanks again for your support!

phase 1 I believe where you assault the gate (3 small railings) I never thought of such design.

Lol! Thats so cool dude. To be honest, that was a last second improvisation. Many parts of the map were planned out, but that one was completely random inspiration. I don't even know how it came to mind, but I think it's cool that you like it. Thanks for the comment!

• Like 1

Lol! Thats so cool dude. To be honest, that was a last second improvisation. Many parts of the map were planned out, but that one was completely random inspiration. I don't even know how it came to mind, but I think it's cool that you like it. Thanks for the comment!

You're welcome, I found it inspiring because I never thought of that. I've used rocks, building blocks and even buildings. But I never gave railings a thought.

• 2 weeks later...