Tips and Tricks Suggestions

Guest Psychoduck

So I know one way shield doors do the trick for preventing a player from going through a certain area and still see through the barrier. That may be all that you want or need. But what if you want that "doorway" to be a timed event, something that can become a pathway? I do not yet know of a despawn option for the one way shield doors, so what you can do is put a two way shield door in front of a dominion shield door, then have a time explosion deactivate it. Best as I can tell, it will not respawn unless you give it a respawn time. Just set it to spawn at start: true and spawn time: never, and you'll have a easily manuverable pathway! :)

If using coordinates, make sure that the two doors are two or three points away from each other (24.5 and 24.8, for example) to ensure that it can only be destroyed by the timed event.

Who knows, you probably already thought of this, but I figured I'd take credit if you hadn't. :)

P.S. If you want, I have an example in one on my experiment map. I'll put it in my fileshare for a little while, until I see you guys do a spotlight on something like this or use it in your maps. The map is called Forge Experiments.

• Like 1

THFE!!! I posted this idea on several videos but I haven't received a reply (from you--a dozen other people thought it was a great idea).

Here it is: Since we can't use water in Halo 4, you can make a canal or other moving waterway by a blue trait zone that lowers gravity and gives you invisibility (invisibility dampens the sound around you, which makes it seem as though you are underwater), and place gravity volumes (again, visible--and blue if it's possible) that push you in the direction the river is "flowing." You can also add blue shield-doors on top and maybe have floating wreckage (crates and vehicles that bob up and down) for players to stand on. You could implement this idea in a shark-themed flood map with a shipwreck. Cheers, and reply back as I have many more ideas.

I found this trick that you can do with the scorpion tank,

if you take a wall colloseum and put it almost straight up (5-15 degree tilt)

and then place two gravity volumes going up and one that goes in against the wall just sticking out so the base of

the scorpion will fit under. Then you make a ramp at the bottom and drive scorpions up the side.

I think it could be used as sort of a dramatic entrance for the tanks in a story driven map or maybe a dominion map where one base is on a big hill and base A and C contain scorpions to climb it. If you are confused by the description, i could upload a video on youtube, it just wont be HD because i dont own recording equipment...

I found this trick that you can do with the scorpion tank,

if you take a wall colloseum and put it almost straight up (5-15 degree tilt)

and then place two gravity volumes going up and one that goes in against the wall just sticking out so the base of

the scorpion will fit under. Then you make a ramp at the bottom and drive scorpions up the side.

I think it could be used as sort of a dramatic entrance for the tanks in a story driven map or maybe a dominion map where one base is on a big hill and base A and C contain scorpions to climb it. If you are confused by the description, i could upload a video on youtube, it just wont be HD because i dont own recording equipment...

you're saying you can drive a scorpion up a wall? sounds legit.

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like a lot of people are looking for specific answers to the creative aspects to map creation. I don't think that's what Psychoduck or any serious Forger considers "Tips and Tricks". The above comment was right about cover. Be original, and if you can't, find a map that used a cool idea and try to impliment it yourself. Solid Forging comes from a combination of trial and error to see what fits or matches your theme, along with studying the success of other maps in particular areas. Once you have a grasp on those or find some piece that just rocks your socks for a particular use, it will become a successful part of your Forging arsenal. If you are having trouble getting started, consider the general idea of what you are trying to achieve. Once you've narrowed down the size and intent of your map, then consider a memorable feature from another map that you've played to base your idea around. For instance: I set out to create a small 2-8 player map that had particualr areas of interest like "Lockout" had. Accordingly, the first feature I put in was an upper open platform that contributed to several lead-in areas for teams to meet in battle. From there, the rest develops organically more often than not.

"Tips and Tricks" are more along the lines of:

- I need to make the height of two objects match, but their magnets don't line up. What's the best way to manipulate height so that everything lines up perfectly?

- or -

- I've merged two like pieces together, but I can't get them to both show their visual lines without one taking over the other. Is there a way to show both while intersecting evenly?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you aren't working on already turret designs, like in Reach. And also like a house builder like myself, you could do like some kind of structure design for objective housing buildings. Maybe for example a shed, or a space base, something small but simple but aesthetically pleaseing.

• 2 weeks later...

A good idea might be just to showcase other good maps, provide DL links, and also in the video 'pick apart' the map piece by piece, showing what was built, how, and provide good ideas - Instead of just circling an aesthetic map, or a really good looking infection room, remove all the parts and show it being assembled/disassembled.

• 1 month later...

Maybe you could give us advice on designing replications/remakes of old Halo maps, or other maps from other games. I'm not asking that you specifically tell us what to do, rather, make a universal topic, with pointers on how to replicate any map, from any game. Hopefully you got what I am saying. :D

• 3 months later...

Could you make a video describing how to set up Invasion in Halo 4? I know the Online Knights covered it, but I think you guys would do a better job and help people understand it better.

*Is greatly resisting the urge to announce something*

...I've already said too much!

• Like 1