"When the Ashes Settle" By SykoWolf

SykoWolf

WARNING THIS STORY CONTAINS GRAPHIC CONTENT AND CENSORED COARSE LANGUAGE IN LINE WITH SITE RULES

------------------------------------------------

I lay on the ground for what seemed like an eternity, but was closer to about three minutes. I could feel the blood trickling down my head and i had a splitting headache. "Probably a concussion" i thought to myself. I didn't know whether i should move or not, but what i did know, was that elites were tougher then humans, so they wouldn't be knocked down for long.

So i slowly climbed to my feet and grabbed my rifle from the ground, raising it to my chest.

I stumbled over to the emergency exit, checking the vitals on my squad along the way.

Dead,all of them were dead, i was the last man standing.

This filled me with dread, but i knew i couldn't slow down, the Elites would be back up in a second and they would be looking for me.

I gripped the emergency exit's handle and tugged it down. The door opened with the sound of gears kicking in and metal clashing on metal.

I slowly walked down the emergency stairs to the ground level, and subsequently to the streets.

As i walked into the abandoned street i noticed the devastation the slip space jump had made to the city. Vehicles and people, flung all over the place, some lucky enough to walk away with a few cuts and bruises, some others..........well, they just got killed.

I scanned my surrounding for a warthog, and found my prize slid up against a civilian bus.

I walked over and sat down in the drivers seat, turning the radio on and searching for any radio chatter.

White noise, thats all i heard, until i was just about to give up, then i heard a voice come on the radio.......

​"This is lieutenant Kallen, my men are pinned down in Baygreen plaza at the north west of the city, we need assistance, any UNSC personnel in the area we need assistance"

I picked up my voice and responded.....

"This is Corporal Thomson, im on my way sir"

With that i turned the ignition on and slammed my foot down on the peddle, not even thinking about what i would do when i got there. Oh well i guess i'll soon find out........

I sped off down the empty street's, just nearly slamming into the s**t that littered the streets. I must have driven for atleast 5 minutes at top speed when i heard a voice shouting. I scanned the area in front of me and just noticed the marine crossing the road in a hurry. I slammed my foot on the break pedal, bringing the vehicle to a halt just in front of the panicked soldier. He ran over and jumped in the passenger seat.

"Get this vehicle F***ing moving now!!!"

Without thinking i slammed my foot on the pedal once more and sped off,just in time to dodge the plasma grenade thrown by the group of angry elites who had been chasing this poor guy for 15 minutes, or so he told me.

"Names Private Matt, whats yours?" , "Corporal Thomson" i stated, and shook his hand.

That was the extent of our conversation as we began to hear the sound of a far of battle raging on.

"****, sounds like trouble" said Matt.

I just nodded and pushed the vehicle to its limit to reach the Lt's position in time.....

We turned the corner and the site before us was of a massive firefight between dozens of elites and a few marines, taking cover in the middle of the plaza behind barricades and stone columns. The first thing i noticed was that we were on the enemies side of the plaza. I knew there was only one way to the marines position, so i rammed the vehicle through the enemy.

I struck three grunts,crushing them under the wheels before i aimed the warthog straight for the Zealot in charge.

The vehicle hit the Elite,causing him to go spread over the hood of the warthog. Everything went in slow motion as i watched him roar and aim his plasma rifle at me. Lucky for me we struck the stone column when we did, crushing the Elite up against the column in a pool of its own blood.

What i didn't think of was that i wasn't wearing a seat belt. My head went forward and struck the steering wheel, then.......nothing.....................i blacked out, only to wake up a few minutes later, a medic tending to my wounds.........

He wiped the blood off my forehead before bandaging it up,then he proceeded to stitch up the cut on my arm, and all this while under fire.

He finished off and was about to stand up when he got hit in the face by a Plasma Bolt. He fell to the ground, hard and fast.

I thought he was dead, but he screamed, the sound deafened me, he was in incredible pain, i didnt know what to do.

He apparently did though, he gripped his magnum and brought it to his head, and pulled the trigger............

I sat there, shocked by what i had just seen and covered in the blood that sprayed from the exit wound.

"Get up now!" i turned to my right to see another marine yelling at me to get up, so i grabbed the medics rifle and ran behind a low cover, getting ready to kill those sons of bi**hes.

I slid up out of cover and took aim at the nearest elite, opening fire as i got the rifle steady. The barrage of shots ricocheted of his armour, howver, i was lucky he was only a minor, his shields went down and the remaining 12 shots emptied into his chest, dropping him to the ground in a mess of his own blood.

I ducked back down behind the cover just as a group of grunts decided i was to be their target and opened fir on my position.....

They opened fire, with several volleys of plasma striking the cover i was behind. Luckily it was solid concrete, only burns scarred the surface.

I released the clip from the Assault rifle and slipped in the next clip. I ducked out of cover again and squeezed the trigger, firing off an entire clip at the grunts location, striking down 4 grunts in a mess of screams and blue blood splatter.

I ducked back into cover, happy i was able to clean up the right flank.

"Holy ****, Guys there's a F***ing hunter!" Screamed the Private to my left

And sure enough the hulking mess of metal and orange organism was making its way towards us..

It fired its first Fuel Rod Charge at the Privates Location, it hit to his left sending him flying over to my feet.

The sound was almost deafening, and the Private had serious burns on the entire left side of his body....... he was dead.

I prepared myself for perhaps my final run...... and stood up.

I sprinted as fast as i could, hearing the sound of the Hunters Fuel Rod Gun Charging up... then i heard the abrupt sound of it firing, and the feel of heat on my back as it passed me by mere inchs hitting the wall to my right.. blasting a huge whole into the structure.

"Get over here Corporal, NOW!!' Yelled out a soldier, unseen for the moment.

I used all my strength to push myself faster, running right past several other Marines doing the same as i was.

I saw the corner up ahead, with another marine yelling at us, it seemed as if he was a Sergeant.

At the last 5 metres i jumped just in time for another explosion to rock the ground behind me....killing the other two marined following me.

I was grabbed by the arm and dragged the last metre around the corner before standing up, ready to either fight...or run.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

More to Come :D

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Great story! I like your writing style, sounds alot like my own. I am also writing a book, its more along the lines of fantasy not sci-fi, but oh do I love a good science fiction book. Alot of people think writing a book is an impossible feat, it is tough, but not impossible. First you need a solid story that keeps you interested once you have that, make sure you want to spend alot of time with it. One page a day for a year is a very easy solution to writing a book. Just one page! That's all, it may seem unattractive, but truth is, books aren't written in a week. One page a day everyday is perfect for someone with a busy schedule. This is just a suggestion, but its what I'm doing. Thought I would tell you. Good luck! :)