Player Moveable Objects

Jezzertle26

Moveable objects from halo 3 to halo 4  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What moveable object(s) do you want to use in halo 4 forge?

• PALLETS!!!
    • That truck from Foundry
    • the big square crates
    • the drop pods from sandtrap
    • the baracades ( those white wall thingys used to build the janga tower)
    • The radio antena
    • the tunnel crates on last resort ( the ones you could make a rocket ship out of, and if you dont no what im talking about then sucks to be you)
    • mini grav-lifts the throwable kind, ( i loved those)
    • and other cause i forgot the others

So im talking about this because i've looked at the forge forums and saw nobody is talking about this, Moveable objects, these are what made halo 3's custom games so awesome. if you think about what made them awesome it wasnt the abilty to make things float in the air, it wasnt the ablity to make them phase because i play halo reach custom games and forge which everyone seems to love, i dont to a sence, the custom games have very little map interaction, and all the things capitilize on the new features but they failed to take from the old. Now moveable objects would make halo 4 forge as long as they put enough, like halo reach had what 12 moveable objects total, (im talking things that are harm less untill they are launched at deadly speeds) you have two types of boxes, those stupid coventent crates and like golf balls, and thats about it. now if you think that the reach forge/custom games is fine and that im full of crap, just think back to halo 3 custom games i can name about five right off the bat; janga, garbage compactor, alligator, jaws, drag race. thats just of the top of my head i'll add things in as i go. i mean if im coming on (fat kid) to late to confront this problem (rube goldberg machines) then oh well i guess more sucky forge/custom games ( the train) but i sure hope that they can read this in time and add more of these moveable objects from halo 3; such as those huge crates, those trucks in foundry, and of course the peice to resitois THE PALLETS, I was so mad when PALLETS weren't in Forge world, because everyone loved pallets, they where doors, they where bridges, they where boats for christ sake, and you could move and break them all, so if you ingored everyother word i've just said just please 343i put pallets in halo 4 that would make my world, and im talking in the big make for forge not stupid swordbase ( not stupid its my favorite map but just hate it for forge) please anwser the poll i will be posting

thanks for your time

Ertle26

An object being movable relies on whether or not the developer assigns an editable value under the physics properties. By default every item you place as a "crate" or crate like object, should have a tab or value somewhere that can be changed from "unmovable", "static", etc...

Last time I checked, there was a great number of items in H3/Reach, that could be moved or placed and changed to movable. If your talking about super huge large items like bases, or even half base walls etc.... something like that where collision and physics responses would need to be calculated and updated every few milliseconds, is just a waste of processing power and memory for the rendering and detection systems. Anything movable or interactive that isn't largely part of a level or it's building, is generally best left to small decorative objects.

• Like 1

An object being movable relies on whether or not the developer assigns an editable value under the physics properties. By default every item you place as a "crate" or crate like object, should have a tab or value somewhere that can be changed from "unmovable", "static", etc...

Last time I checked, there was a great number of items in H3/Reach, that could be moved or placed and changed to movable. If your talking about super huge large items like bases, or even half base walls etc.... something like that where collision and physics responses would need to be calculated and updated every few milliseconds, is just a waste of processing power and memory for the rendering and detection systems. Anything movable or interactive that isn't largely part of a level or it's building, is generally best left to small decorative objects.

Halo's physics system has always been such that when an object is a rest for a few seconds, physics stop being calculated. That means Reach's Forge could afford a few more objects that would budge. Halo 4's system may be different, but in the past, it was easy to have many movable objects.

Actually tue engine never stops calculating or.checking physics reaponses or coodinates. That is part of the issue that causes lag. The engine is constantly.checking an objects state. Also it takes a lot of trial and error to make.collision and physics responses just right.

Too much mass, and it.doesnt budge enough. Wrong center of mass and wackiness ensues. I wish it were as simple as just dropping in items that move...but it isnt.

• Like 1

Conveyor belts sadly are not objects. Conveyors are special bsp mesh face flags applied to.certail shaders specified inside the levels bsp tag itself. Unless they create a way to edit the bsp tag in memory...it wont happen, unless they were to impliment a conveyor assinged property to other tags.

• Like 1

Conveyor belts sadly are not objects. Conveyors are special bsp mesh face flags applied to.certail shaders specified inside the levels bsp tag itself. Unless they create a way to edit the bsp tag in memory...it wont happen, unless they were to impliment a conveyor assinged property to other tags.

Just nod and smile :)

Of coure TR. That makes sense

calm down, i dont care how hard it is to make this physics, go play halo 3 and find a good custom game, like janga, thats a good one to show my point, im not saying halo reach had no objects that where moveable, and im just talking about the bigger moveable objects, like those barrels, and the wire spoils which i forgot to put in the poll, those simple things that are like building blocks make the game better, because it adds a type of destruction elliamate, ( bad spelling ) that makes the game fun, like i said go play janga on halo 3 and you'll see what im going on about, also while your at it look up janga on halo reach and see how much those maps suck. trust me, oh one more thing you dont got to be right all the time or no what 343i engines need to do you just need to put in the imput, people dont want a fact lesson they want a opinion.
  • Like 1

I wasnt aware I was getting all heated up....I was just providing information so many others could get an idea of how things work, and what kind of improvements or limitations exists with in the Blam! engine. But if it makes everyone happier...Ill just not post anything and let everyone go on daydreaming.

I wasnt aware I was getting all heated up....I was just providing information so many others could get an idea of how things work, and what kind of improvements or limitations exists with in the Blam! engine. But if it makes everyone happier...Ill just not post anything and let everyone go on daydreaming.

I didnt think you were freaking out. You were just explaining why it happened. Even though I could not understand you were being informative and giving a very clear "why not" dont worry about what he says.

I wish they could make opening and closing doors . It would make for killer Machinimas

That would be amazing !!! :D

i didnt mean to offend you, in anyway, what you said is just that people dont need to be told everything, i think most of the stuff you said is cool but you dont have to tell us everything, oh yeah and P.S. i think i can make a conveyor belts with the new gravity logs they made, so yeah just sayin, by the way if you want to explain how the gravity log works i would love to hear it,

thanks,

Ertle26

In a nut shell the trait zones are simply just "trigger volumes" that have various pre defined scripts attached to them. You basically lay down the voume, and when a player crosses into them, it activates the scrip. Think of trait zones as " campaign checkpoints", that produce an effect rather than save progress or load additional level.data.

In a nut shell the trait zones are simply just "trigger volumes" that have various pre defined scripts attached to them. You basically lay down the voume, and when a player crosses into them, it activates the scrip. Think of trait zones as " campaign checkpoints", that produce an effect rather than save progress or load additional level.data.

thank you, and now i know... and KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE...... G.I.JOE!!!!
  • Like 1

Maybe you should go over to 343 and make those conveyor belts happen, for the community! lol jk

Maybe you should go over to 343 and make those conveyor belts happen, for the community! lol jk

Even though he knows what he is doing it is like shoving a circle block into a square hole. There would be countless outcomes that would have to be taken note of. Unlike just scripting collision events with forgeable objects.

@ OP: You dont have to be harsh towards Reach's forge just because It didnt have enough moving parts. But I do agree with you, I would love to see more moving parts in Halo 4's forge and TBH I would love to see some of the old structures come back to. I think for Forge V3 they should have the best qualities from both Reach and 3's Forges.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...