Another Halo 4 ranking system idea. Share your thoughts. Mature replies only.

Humanoids

Halo 3's ranking system wasn't going to return in Halo 4. The reason behind it?

Boosters. Hackers. and more Boosters. It also encouraged players to "cheat".

Well, I had my own idea of a ranking system. There's no need to completely create a new

ranking system especially when it is potentially risking the success of the game. Look at Halo 3's

ranking system. Perfect. Challegning. Fun. Up until booster/hackers managed to find holes in it.

But, what if you fill up those holes? NOTE: I am open to any criticism and don't be afraid to point out

any flaws you see.

For example, let's say a player with a highest skill of 47 pairs

up with his buddy in a game for Team Doubles, who has a highest skill of 3. In that playlist, the level 47

player has a highest skill of 4 in that playlist, and his buddy hasn't played a single game in it. So,

what's the problem here? Boosting. Newcomers don't stand a chance against a level 47 player. The level 47

will just boost his buddy all the way to the high 40s. And this goes toward Team Slayer, Team Snipers, etc.

So you'ved paired up with your lower level friends so you can boost them. So, how do we fix this?

Level 47 players should only be able to pair up with their friends if they are, let's say, 5 levels

within their own rank. ie. level 30 players can only pair up with levels 25-35. Now, here's a bit of a

fun twist. This rule ONLY applies to RANKED matches. Social matches you can pair up with anyone you want.

Does this not fix the boosting problem? Wait, but what if level 50s make a new account, fresh rank and skill,

and they completely wreck everyone including the poor newcomers? I think the guys over at 343 can come up with a way to monitor wins and k/d ratio. If a level 50 on a new account is completely destroying newcomers, and his k/d ratio and win streak reflects that,(i.e Lonewolves Slayer- 1st place-25 kills. 2nd place-9 kills. 3rd-7 kills.) why not give that player a boost in rank? In other words, why not make him/her level up faster? Make them level up at a pace that reflects who they really are, a Level 50 General. And even if they weren't a Level 50 to begin with, and they were a fresh newcomer, they should still rank

up at a pace where they get to a skill range that haults their pace. A skill range that gives them a challenge and they're not easily climbing through skill levels anymore. Where they get to meet the big boys that are the player's own level now. Oh and if a level 50 on a NEW account pairs up with his low level friend? Well, the k/d ratio will reflect that. ie. Level 50 guy gets 30 kills in team slayer. He gets the rank boost. Lower level guy? Gets 4 kills, doesn't get the boost. Sorry :(

Next, we have the quitters. I'm not too familiar with the quitting method to boost others or whatever in Halo 3. But, Halo Reach seems to have done a good job at temporarily banning players from matchmaking after quitting too many games. Well why not carry that over!!??? If a player quits, say 10 games in a row, they're done for the day, ban 'em! "Wait, but what if that player does it again the next day!?" Then ban him that day as well. "Okay, but what if that player quits 10 times in a row on the 3rd day? You're just gonna ban him again?" No, ban him for the WEEK. If the player continues quitting to achieve whatever he was able to achieve in Halo 3, permanently ban him from Matchmaking games. Keyword, Matchmaking. The poor

guy still gets to play customs.

I think I got my idea across. I'm confident about it but still open for criticism. Let me know what you think.

theres only a couple of problems. first one is with the new account ranking up faster by going of their kills and k/d. people will ALWAYS find a way to cheat. its human nature to take the easiest way. The cheaters will just manipulate the network (ie standby) the other team and run around getting free kills on the people black screen.

second problem is with the quitting ban after say 10 games. Not everyone has good internet and disconnections due to that and power failures, storms etc do happen often to some people. it would be unfair to ban them for measures out of their control.

Great idea though and lets hope it is somthing along those lines. :)

theres only a couple of problems. first one is with the new account ranking up faster by going of their kills and k/d. people will ALWAYS find a way to cheat. its human nature to take the easiest way. The cheaters will just manipulate the network (ie standby) the other team and run around getting free kills on the people black screen.

second problem is with the quitting ban after say 10 games. Not everyone has good internet and disconnections due to that and power failures, storms etc do happen often to some people. it would be unfair to ban them for measures out of their control.

Great idea though and lets hope it is somthing along those lines. :)

For the first problem, it's the connection itself, not the actual ranking system. Any game can have a flawless ranking system but nothing will ever stop them from network manipulating.

I'm sure the people who experience that can contact 343 and work things out with them. Also if you find yourself lagging out 10 times a day and losing a tremendous amount of exp, then I think you should either have the connection fixed or just play customs for the time being. I don't have the best connection, but when I lag out 4-5 times in row, I usually take a break from matchmaking because I'm losing exp.

It'd be nice, but it's not what Halo 4 has in store for us. It will still take skill, and boosting isn't easy, if what I think is correct.

Boosting is easy, although at first I never intended to "boost", most of my friends are lower levels 1-20, and I'm a 48. I would sometimes play Team Slayer with them and they're guaranteed a win. That was when Halo 3 first came out and boosting wasn't a very common word that time.

You might be onto something humanoids. Good creativity!

You're going to have cheaters in any system. Whether it's credit farming, boosting, etc., you can't avoid it and any system will be exploited. If 343 tries to make a system that avoids all cheating then they are naive of this fact. The only problem with Halo 3's system is that it was almost impossible to rank up after you have accumulated so many wins. Players should be rewarded with a level no matter how many wins they've accumulated. Other than that I like the combination of XP and playlist ranks.

• Like 1

Dedicated Servers = stop DDOS

Arena System = Stop Cheaters/Derankers/Quitters.

Tbh, i don't see a problem with my idea, but yes, the halo 3 system certainly was a failure.

Dedicated servers would be my ultimate dream for halo but as for the Arena system, i think it was as big a failure if not bigger. The division system was even easier to cheat than the 1-50 system used in halo 3 and didnt really show true indication of skill in my opinion. The Halo 3 ranking system before all the boosting and deranking started was good, it just needed a little more work to get right.

Boosting is easy, although at first I never intended to "boost", most of my friends are lower levels 1-20, and I'm a 48. I would sometimes play Team Slayer with them and they're guaranteed a win. That was when Halo 3 first came out and boosting wasn't a very common word that time.

Not in Halo 4.

It looks like a good system. Personally i think there should be peopke who work for 343 that will just keep an eye on servers.

Hopefully we can see something like this in halo 5. Just nit so severe on the banning. People do have bad internet.

Me and my friends came up with what we believe is a fairly fool/cheat proof way of maintaining a 1-50.

The basis of the system is that each player earns an amount of points for things such as kills, assists, sprees etc. They also lose an equivilent amount of points for deaths and betrayals. For example say a player gets 12 kills 11 headshots a killing frenzy and 3 deaths. If we give 10 points per kill, with an additional 5 points for a headshot and 20 points for the two sprees. The player would have accumulated 195 points. Because of the 3 deaths they would lose 30 of the points as a flat balance for the opponents kills, bonus points for headshots etc are not deducted. The player will have earned 165 points for that match based his individual performance, however, to avoid statting there needs to be a win and loss multiplier. I propose a 20% win multiplier and a 20% loss deduction with an additional 5% boost for MVP. Lets say the player in question lost the match as aresult of his teams poor play. Rather than getting nothing like you would in the old system the player is still provided with 132 points. The points from each match are added to eh player total points. These points are then divided into 50 brackets. The top 2% of players falling in the 50 bracket. Because it is possible to recieve negative points for poor play people that buy accounts will not be able to maintain their rank and will rapidly decend to their actual skill level.

If there are any questions and or flaws I woul be happy to discuss them with anyone that is interested.

Me and my friends came up with what we believe is a fairly fool/cheat proof way of maintaining a 1-50.

The basis of the system is that each player earns an amount of points for things such as kills, assists, sprees etc. They also lose an equivilent amount of points for deaths and betrayals. For example say a player gets 12 kills 11 headshots a killing frenzy and 3 deaths. If we give 10 points per kill, with an additional 5 points for a headshot and 20 points for the two sprees. The player would have accumulated 195 points. Because of the 3 deaths they would lose 30 of the points as a flat balance for the opponents kills, bonus points for headshots etc are not deducted. The player will have earned 165 points for that match based his individual performance, however, to avoid statting there needs to be a win and loss multiplier. I propose a 20% win multiplier and a 20% loss deduction with an additional 5% boost for MVP. Lets say the player in question lost the match as aresult of his teams poor play. Rather than getting nothing like you would in the old system the player is still provided with 132 points. The points from each match are added to eh player total points. These points are then divided into 50 brackets. The top 2% of players falling in the 50 bracket. Because it is possible to recieve negative points for poor play people that buy accounts will not be able to maintain their rank and will rapidly decend to their actual skill level.

If there are any questions and or flaws I woul be happy to discuss them with anyone that is interested.

That's basically Halo 4's XP system.

I wouldn't like to see gameplay restricted based on skill levels, or anything actually. If friends wish to play with each other, Ranked or Social, then allow them to do so. However that is completely irrelevant because there isn't going to be 2 distinguished Ranking indicators. Though I do actually like the rest of your idea, I perhaps feel the 1-50 is gone for good now.

However, generally what concerns me, and the reason why I ultimately registered is some other opinions I have been looking at. I've read that people feel a system which rewards Ranking Points based on your own personal skill during the game (K/D, Headshots, Sprees...) would be most beneficial. However such system is still completely flawed.

The first thing I loved about Halo 3 was Big Team Battle, it was absolute carnage and I played it a lot, as I do on Halo Reach. The main difference between the 2 is that on Halo Reach the games are relatively dull, there is no atmosphere, competitiveness etc because people learned to play by themselves. Contrary, I feel the Trueskill system on Halo 3; though manipulated, brought the general community closer together as people felt more obliged to cooperate to win, as you needed to actually win. It naturally had a knock on effect into Social games, not necessarily in a serious way, but in a good way for laughs.

I have no in-depth opinion or solution but I would merely suggest keeping the Halo Reach Ranks virtually identical. In terms of merging in the Halo 3 system, create the Individual Rank for each Playlist with the Trueskill hidden for Matchmaking purposes (Hinted already?) The big factor would then be centered around how EXP is received, and as someone who enjoyed the competitiveness of Halo 3 I would suggest something along the lines of:

- Winning EXP based on how you perform in the game + bonus for winning.

- Losing, a set amount of EXP is automatically lost, however is reduced depending on how well you perform in the game (I.E if you lost 3000 credits but anchored your team with a high K/D, Headshots etc then the penalty would be reduced)

It wouldn't solve everything I addressed, but there would be actual purpose in winning again which in turn would hopefully make games more fun. Furthermore it would combine personal Skill with Teamwork which would be nice to see. If anyone feels it would potentially be a good solution, I'd be happy to elaborate further to address all the issues.

• Like 1

I loved halo 3's system however it was way too easy to abuse and easily broken. It would be nice to be rewarded for you indivual skill as well as a lesser reward for your team play and match result. As I often play on my own and play consistently well I am maybe biased toward individual performance. However team play and the result of the match are important as well in order to avoid the bull****tery that is Call of Duty's matchmaking system where nobody really care whether they win or lose. I was excited when I heard about the 5 kill reward system in the new infinity match type, however it has come to my attention that it yet another watered down pile of nub friendly crap. I sincerely hope i'm wrong but from what i've seen, heard and read it seems that the kill counter continues whether you live or die. People who run in and die but manage to get a kill will be rewarded with a power weapon? Seems a little off as in slayer matches especially deaths are as important as kills. Assits need to be rewarded better but also be hard to get. So that statters who run around finishing peoples one shots arn't ranked higher than the people that did all the work.

To sum up, what I feel needs to be in the ranking system is a personal skill assessment, a teamwork assessment, win and loss assessment and finally the skill level of opponents you faced. This way good players who dont have a team and get dumped with terrible players as a result of attempting to "balance" teams wont be punished if their +20 k/d wasnt enough to carry the 3-4 other guys to a win. Also people who do alot of legwork and play a support role will also be rewarded aptly rather than being given what in the world of competative gameplay is essentially a thumbs up for trying. People that play what they would claim is "agressively" would be punished as what is actually reckless disregard for deaths doesnt help win a match. I'd personally pick a guy that got 7 kills and 2 deaths over a guy that gets 22 kills and 20 deaths.

I wouldn't like to see gameplay restricted based on skill levels, or anything actually. If friends wish to play with each other, Ranked or Social, then allow them to do so. However that is completely irrelevant because there isn't going to be 2 distinguished Ranking indicators. Though I do actually like the rest of your idea, I perhaps feel the 1-50 is gone for good now.

However, generally what concerns me, and the reason why I ultimately registered is some other opinions I have been looking at. I've read that people feel a system which rewards Ranking Points based on your own personal skill during the game (K/D, Headshots, Sprees...) would be most beneficial. However such system is still completely flawed.

The first thing I loved about Halo 3 was Big Team Battle, it was absolute carnage and I played it a lot, as I do on Halo Reach. The main difference between the 2 is that on Halo Reach the games are relatively dull, there is no atmosphere, competitiveness etc because people learned to play by themselves. Contrary, I feel the Trueskill system on Halo 3; though manipulated, brought the general community closer together as people felt more obliged to cooperate to win, as you needed to actually win. It naturally had a knock on effect into Social games, not necessarily in a serious way, but in a good way for laughs.

I have no in-depth opinion or solution but I would merely suggest keeping the Halo Reach Ranks virtually identical. In terms of merging in the Halo 3 system, create the Individual Rank for each Playlist with the Trueskill hidden for Matchmaking purposes (Hinted already?) The big factor would then be centered around how EXP is received, and as someone who enjoyed the competitiveness of Halo 3 I would suggest something along the lines of:

- Winning EXP based on how you perform in the game + bonus for winning.

- Losing, a set amount of EXP is automatically lost, however is reduced depending on how well you perform in the game (I.E if you lost 3000 credits but anchored your team with a high K/D, Headshots etc then the penalty would be reduced)

It wouldn't solve everything I addressed, but there would be actual purpose in winning again which in turn would hopefully make games more fun. Furthermore it would combine personal Skill with Teamwork which would be nice to see. If anyone feels it would potentially be a good solution, I'd be happy to elaborate further to address all the issues.

I posted a topic about this same idea a while back. It would be a good system, but the problem with account sales, etc is for some reason predicted to be high by others.

The XP system that I believe we will have would work fine for one simple fact. If the losses for getting assassinated/assassinating(just an example) are equal, then you are reaping what you sow, and earning what you deserve. (See the loss for a negative action should equal the gain for the corresponding positive action.)

There are really no flaws except for one. In objective, if we can still get XP for kills, then boosting will become a problem. 343i Already ban in Reach for this, but people can still do it two or three games a day and get away with it sometimes. Making kills earn no XP would solve all problems except spawn camping in Slayer games.

I posted a topic about this same idea a while back. It would be a good system, but the problem with account sales, etc is for some reason predicted to be high by others.

The XP system that I believe we will have would work fine for one simple fact. If the losses for getting assassinated/assassinating(just an example) are equal, then you are reaping what you sow, and earning what you deserve. (See the loss for a negative action should equal the gain for the corresponding positive action.)

There are really no flaws except for one. In objective, if we can still get XP for kills, then boosting will become a problem. 343i Already ban in Reach for this, but people can still do it two or three games a day and get away with it sometimes. Making kills earn no XP would solve all problems except spawn camping in Slayer games.

So in objective type games, you alter the system. You take out kills and assists from the equaltion, and then you add in flag kills, and killing the flag carrier, as the only kills that matter. Add in an assist for helping kill the flag carrier, etc. Same with oddball. Territories becomes a little trickier, perhaps you only get a kill while in a territory, or you kill somebody who is in one? The point remains though, in an objective game, the objective should matter above all else. I'm sure 343 has something up their sleeve for objective type games, we'll just have to wait and see.

If 1-50 isn't in the game I will not be buying it. The only people who don't want 1-50 are the ones who are bad at the game. That is a fact. Not everybody is so bad that they have to cheat to get a 50, many people got it legit.

I don't care about my armor or what color visor my spartan has, that is for 15 year olds.

-Post edited for language-

I think the most ideal thing to do is make it so players of certain skill levels CAN and WILL get stuck at certain ranks.

For example, if you had the skill level of a 35 in Halo 3, you would have trouble getting to a 40+ but you would rarely drop below 30.

I like the idea of players sitting in their respective skill level gap (for lack of a better word).

Therefore the 20s play 20s and 50s play 50s.

Obviously there will be boosting issues, but regardless i'm sure there can be away around it.

I just don't want to see top rank players with less ability than that of my shoelace on my team at high levels.

343 has be sweating more than a nun in a cucumber field.

If 1-50 isn't in the game I will not be buying it. The only people who don't want 1-50 are the ones who are bad at the game. That is a fact. Not everybody is so bad that they have to cheat to get a 50, many people got it legit.

I don't care about my armor or what color visor my spartan has, that is for 15 year olds.

Yes THANK YOU! Challenge on a skill level is what made Halo2 fun no matter what. Yeah cheating sucked but at least it was SOOOOOO rewarding to win a bunch of legit games and level up. It was also satisfying to have to get the level back after you lost it. This feeling cannot be topped, Leaderboards added to the challenge and should be added on THIS website. Leaderboards Encourage clans and teamwork for FUN games that actually felt worthy to play. If you could play well it was SO satisfying on every level.

Please, Please, Please Give us Matchmaking from Halo 2 back!

Otherwise i will not purchase Halo 4.