Question about friendly fire/betrayals/suiciders......

DeadlyKlappy87

Just got done playing some Halo 3 since I'm excited about Halo 4. But, two of my prick teammates were just going around betraying people and pretty much wasting everyone's time.

Has 343 come up with a solution to this? Hopefully friendly fire will be turned off? Hopefully suiciders dont count as negative points? I have watched many of the H4 multiplayer videos on youtube and I could have sworn a saw a few friendly grenades land by teammates but do no damage but to be sure I decided to come here and make a thread to get a better answer. I applaud 343 for changing the ranking system (although we dont have any solids ideas yet) so that boosters and second-accounts will be less of a nuisance.

I am excited for this game!

Honestly I do not know if they have talked about this yet. However, I did hear through the rumor mill that if players are inactive (AFK) for longer than a minute than they are booted. I am guessing they will have a imilar betrayal boot system as Bungie. With the ability for players to join already active matches and drop in/out now active, I am sure 343i will have betrayals, afk, and suiciders handled.

Friendly fire needs to be in otherwise there is no consequence for bad grenades, or shooting rockets/throwing grenades into a fight. They just need to rework the boot system or make something in order to detect if it was a purposeful betrayal.

There is no chance of them getting a booting system that can tell whether a betrayal was an accident or not. Also, I don't know about other people, but when I betray someone it's because either they got in my way or they were attempting to teamkill me (grenading the tank because I got it first, for example).

• Like 1

FF needs to be on and just as powerful as it is now BUT booting she occur quicker and still be an option. Friendly Fire makes me so much more aware because if I have a sniper and I see my teammate in a gun fight I know to be careful about my shot to make sure I do not kill him, I actually did this today where as I shot the enemy my teammate went to melee and I killed em both.

I like friendly fire being on, but maybe make it so friendly fire can only pop shields, and then you can't kill them. They'd still be in massive danger from an enemy shooting them, but a friendly rocket couldn't kill them outright. You're still taking a chance of somebody just picking them off in the aftermath of said rocket, and giving the other team kills because of it. I dunno.

Like somebody above me said, the only time I betray is because a teammate runs infront of my vehicle or infront of my sniper shot, never intentional. If somebody get's to the sniper before me? So be it. If I get there before them and they kill me, without the option to boot? That just ticks me off, so I spend the few minutes of the match just popping their shields every chance I get, screw the game, let them betray me again so I can get the option to boot.

The ideal solution is to keep friendly fire on, but add an auto boot function. Take it out of the players hands. 2 betrayals in a game and you get auto booted. I'd also say that it shouldn't be 2 betrayals per player, 2 betrayals period, per team. Right now, 9 times out of 10 when the option to boot appears, boot is always selected. Occasionally you'll get somebody like me, who actually looks at the situation in how I was betrayed, and then decide not to boot the player immediately. If I got run over by a vehicle coming around a corner? It was an accident, I'll forgive the player.

• Like 1

What about actual accidents in FF situations? I dont want to be booted for accidentally missing an enemy with a sniper and hitting a friend behind him O.o, perhaps it will work on repition, if you kill friendlies more then 3 times, you get option to boot

What about actual accidents in FF situations? I dont want to be booted for accidentally missing an enemy with a sniper and hitting a friend behind him O.o, perhaps it will work on repition, if you kill friendlies more then 3 times, you get option to boot

But that's the problem, the system cannot determine between accidents and intentional. A betrayal is a betrayal. The problem right now isn't the system, the system in theory is great. The problem is players just booting for the fun of it. Which is why an auto-boot after two betrayals is the only way to take the control away from the players.

There is no chance of them getting a booting system that can tell whether a betrayal was an accident or not. Also, I don't know about other people, but when I betray someone it's because either they got in my way or they were attempting to teamkill me (grenading the tank because I got it first, for example).

its the same case with me. I think friendly fire should just be turned off. Whats the point if it is used more for intentional purposes than accidents?? The booting system isnt always that effective and you can get booted for any accidental friendly kills. Players would stop trying to betray each other completely and i dont see why we should keep friendly fire.

Do you want things to be realistic?? or do you want things to support the spirit of the game?? its hard to do both, but i take the spirit of the game any day. Turn friendly fire off

It's possible to make a system that could detect if some betrayals were accidental or not. First they would need a way of telling whether the damage you were taking was from a friend or foe, which they already have otherwise how would they detect a betrayal. Then the system would need to remember from what sources the damage came from, and based off that damage it could tell whether it was accidental, on purpose, or the player needs to be red flagged (2 red flag type betrayals would get the player auto booted).

For instance, the player dies from a bunch of assualt rifle shots and a grenade is obviously on purpose. As is dieing from a turret and killing a stationary teammate with a plasma or power weapon. Dieing from one sniper shot would most likely be ruled accidental to avoid worry of accidentally getting booted because a teammate happened to walk in front of you. Red flag type ones would be along the lines of two grenades (bad grenades do happen), a grenade and a headshot, a rocket, etc. They could have been on purpose or it could be a "wrong place at the wrong time" situation. If it happens once then players are typically more careful afterwards so the chances of it happening again would hopefully be small.

They could also make a system so people don't have to worry about a betrayal ruinning their stats or what they had going. If you betrayed then it doesn't actually show up as a death (far too many people care about k/d, but this would please them to an extent), your spree isn't ended, and you spawn with everything you had instead of dropping it.

it used to take 2 betrayals for the system to prompt for an option to boot. Now it seems that it happens after the first incident. I stuck an enemy on the foot with a stick, a teammate shotgunned the same enemy in the face before my sticky went off. I had no clue my teammate was around the corner crouched waiting. When he killed the enemy my sticky went off and killed him, and I was booted for betraying. The 2 betrayal system was fine, where did it go?

Lol, when my teammate has full shields and health, I shoot through them with the sniper if I need to. They want to get in the way, then they better gimme their shields. The booting system needs to be smart. Like if someone betrays three times, they need to be booted.

I had a teammate who watched me shoot a rocket, only to boost his banshee into it. He booted me. My cousin was in the game with me over live. He told me the crook took my rocket launcher.

Another time, I was in a Falcon awaiting passengers. My teammate Jet Packed on top and ran into the blades. Twice. I couldn't get away from him due to being on the ground. He booted me. Took the Falcon and my sword according to my brother.

343 should make it so that teammates can't purposely get betrayed as easy.

It shouldn't be left up to players. Usually, people are just [censored]'s anyway and they boot you because they are mad.

A good idea would be to make FF only deal a quarter or half damage. That way, you won't accidentally boost over a hill into a thruster pack wielding teammate. Or a teammate won't die if they sprint into your cross map rocket or snipe.

• Like 2

I hope they fix whatever system they had in Reach.

My team mate would just walk up to your back, hit you, then steal your sword or whatever and you can't boot them.

I shoot a rocket at an enemy and my team mate sprints to then enemy trying to get an assassination and I get booted.

I understand what you all are saying, but if you're like me... then most of the time when you get good teammates you party up with them... its a simple answer for your complicated question. I understand not all the time you can play with friends but I'm sure eventually you will find enough people to have a full party in whatever playlist you're in or maybe just start a clan. Back in the beginning of Halo 3 you did this kind of thing without even thinking about it. Why is Halo 4 any different?

I wish there was a way to distinguish accidental and on purpose betrayals. More and more lately, I have thrown a plasma grenade, and a team mate will just run on top of it to boot me. Or when there's a big firefight going on, and a team mate gets in the way of my grenade. That really irritates me. I remember one time I was sniping on bone yard, and on a perfection. A team mate spawned in front of me right as i pulled the trigger and i got booted. The betrayal system is really broken in Reach.

it used to take 2 betrayals for the system to prompt for an option to boot. Now it seems that it happens after the first incident. I stuck an enemy on the foot with a stick, a teammate shotgunned the same enemy in the face before my sticky went off. I had no clue my teammate was around the corner crouched waiting. When he killed the enemy my sticky went off and killed him, and I was booted for betraying. The 2 betrayal system was fine, where did it go?

I was playing Halo 3 today and i noticed it said " so and so has betrayed you AGAIN, would you like to boot them" but that was after like 4 or 5 times.

I hope they fix whatever system they had in Reach.

My team mate would just walk up to your back, hit you, then steal your sword or whatever and you can't boot them.

I shoot a rocket at an enemy and my team mate sprints to then enemy trying to get an assassination and I get booted.

i have the same problem. The system is very inconsistent and some players seem to have an endless amount of betrayals

i have the same problem. The system is very inconsistent and some players seem to have an endless amount of betrayals

One time I had three quests, so there was only one other guy on my team, and I did something similar to what I described, and I got booted. That was pretty funny realizing what the situation would be afterwards.