How does the DMR fit into the halo 4 universe?

sreggad

My question to everyone is why is the DMR a useable weapon in Halo 4?

Not saying the weapon is good or bad or anything. How does it fit into universe? The DMR was replaced by the BR. now I did check the wiki which did state that the "army" still uses the DMR however seeing as this is a planet you crashed on while in a ship how would any one get a DMR if the navy doesn't use them anymore? now with the multiplayer you play spartans who are from what I understand are basically training. why would any spartan, who are not part of the army, train with the DMR. I basically see it as a soldier now using an M1 grande instead of an M-16

• Like 1

Not saying the weapon is good or bad or anything. How does it fit into universe? The DMR was replaced by the BR. now I did check the wiki which did state that the "army" still uses the DMR however seeing as this is a planet you crashed on while in a ship how would any one get a DMR if the navy doesn't use them anymore? now with the multiplayer you play spartans who are from what I understand are basically training. why would any spartan, who are not part of the army, train with the DMR. I basically see it as a soldier now using an M1 grande instead of an M-16

things may have changed. Its been four years since the war ended, so DMR could have been issued to the navy in that period of time. Or they may be training the spartan IVs for any combat situations, in case they end up working alongside the army

• Like 1

Well from what I have heard and seen, the BR is not as effective as it is in Halo 3, but the DMR is not as effective close range as in Reach.

The only reason why both weapon are in the game is because 343I wanted something to bring back people from both Reach and Halo 3 (that's why they announced the Br was returning about a month before they announced the DMR was returning.

It will prbably be glossed over due to the fact that an explanantion fo the DMR does not really affect the core of the campaign story. Who knows...maybe they will explain it, but most likely it will be mentioned in a later novel.

its in there because people like it. its just a game dude lol.

From the end of Reach to the end of Halo 3 is just a few months. So that isn't nearly enough time to decommission a weapon and fully replace it with a model that is just an improved version of a 30 year old gun.

It is perfectly reasonable to have both weapons, today we have many weapons that are similar like the M4 and M16, yet we use both of them.

• Like 1

small canonical errors like this dosnt really matter, well not to me anyway, they brought the DMR back because a lot of people loved it, they wanted to make a lot of fans happy and in order to do they had to break a small minor portion of canon that dosnt mean much to the halo universe, thats basically it, and 343 shouldnt need to make up another canonical explantion why its being used in this time frame of the universe it just simply dosnt matter.

Like was stated above, it is about four or five years after Halo 3. They could have improved it. It is a version we haven't used yet, hmm? It is likely that the Navy saw the new one's potential and recommissioned it for use. Either way, It fits with the game because it is for mid-long range. The BR is for mid-short to mid-long. That DMR is a poor man's sniper rifle. Gamplay wise, it fits very nicely.

Basically look at it like this. Spartans are special forces. Today, in reality, modern U.S. Special Forces have access to any weapon they want, for any situation possible. They are then allowed to customize these weapons to suit their personal needs. Look at the Spartans the same way. They are special forces. They have access to any weapons they think they need. The UNSC most definitely cross trained them in every weapon, whether it is in use by the Army or the Marines. And like others have said, things very well could have changed over four years, as it is an updated model of the Reach version.

It is a version we haven't used yet, hmm?

Holy crap. I read this part in Yoda's voice! XD

Anyway, I agree with what Ryu said. It's great for mid- to long-range combat, and the BR is great for mid-short to mid-long. I can see a lot of players using both in War Games and Spartan Ops. I'm very happy the DMR is back, because I loved it in Reach.

"Pop, pop, pop, watchin' Covies drop!"

This is my belief. The DMR, while mainly in service of the Army units stationed on Planets, obviously needs ammo. So the FUD could have held DMR in reserves along with ammo so that they could accommodate any Army soldiers onboard the ship. As for the Infinity, the Spartan 4's train in "EVERY" weapon that is in service in any of the 4 main defence forces in Halo Universe, so it would be counter productive to not have the DMR on the Infinity.

• Like 1

As for the Infinity, the Spartan 4's train in "EVERY" weapon that is in service in any of the 4 main defence forces in Halo Universe, so it would be counter productive to not have the DMR on the Infinity.

Yeah, I basically said that in my first post. Special Forces cross train in every weapon known to man. This allows them to utilize enemy weapons (in real life and Halo) or any other weapon when the need arises. That is what makes spec-ops teams so deadly, they can use any weapon.