Halo 4 Ranking System Confirmed. (actually old news, forgot to tell)

Baby Boo

I'm not naming any names but on halotracker.com I've checked the Halo Reach stats of a couple of people that say the Halo 2/Halo 3 systems aren't what we need and their levels/stats tell the whole story. These people don't want a competitive ranking system because they don't care about winning or being good. The Halo Reach system has always obviously been for the people who don't want to be leveled upon their skill or by winning. The people who never played Halo 2 or Halo 3 enough to be competitive will never understand why Halo multiplayer has thrived throughout both games.

Halo Reach's matchmaking population numbers have went down significantly from Halo 3 and it's for a reason. I'm not saying 343 should do away with a credit system (I actually like earning customizations based on credits) but the lack of competitive playlist ranks has killed the matchmaking population. Halo multiplayer has come this far because a good ranking system brings out the best competition and gives people something to strive for. It makes people want to get better and keep playing. It doesn't make or break a game but it definitely makes things interesting and competitive.

• Like 2

Well as far as I know based on the Comic Con panel last week...Spartan Points are what they will be called when the game launches. SP's are the new cR and will add to the level progression similar to Reach. There will indeed be a trueskill for ranked that only you the player can see. There will be 1-50 for that supposedly. For example, if you are a 50 and search within the Ranked playlist, you will be paired with other players who are 40+.

There is another leveling system that is not necessarily separate. This leveling system will be your "social" level or general level that other players can see as well. As you level up and reach the max level you will unlock "specializations", similar to prestige where you get specialization specific armor skins, weapon skins, and traits. If you choose to level the "sniper" specialization for example you will get a specific armor and weapon skin as well as a trait that helps you snipe. i would suggest watching the overview of the Comic Con panel online.

dude its called ratios he was just trying to make it easier for people to understand it so get off his back

and to everyone else in this thread who gives a f**k seriously its not like it really matters right now we will find out the system when halo 4 comes out

1.) Don't swear. Censored or not.

2.) Get off his back? Get off MY back. I was telling him that your so called ratios don't matter. A smaller number doesn't make much of a difference. How does 1 make more sense than 1,000? Infact, most people would rather see BIG numbers, than small. It makes them feel like they've accomplished more. It doesn't matter. Get over your arrogant self.

I'm not a big fan of player investment ranking systems like Reach and the Call of Duty series, but I actually like it IF a 1-50 system is also included, like Halo 3. In Halo 3, you leveled up through EXP by WINNING GAMES, whiched incouraged players to play to win and to play to the objective, not play for themselves like you often see on CoD. I like this, but I especially like that there was a good 1-50 ranking system playlists, which encouraged competitive gameplay. Sure there was boosting, but competitive playlists with flaws is better than no competitive playlists at all, like in Reach.

Here I notice one thing I REALLY like about Halo 4's system: The biggest bonus BY FAR he got that game was the victory bonus. That ALONE will make people play to win. I also notice that there is a bonus for 'objective.' I like this also. So I really like that style of the player investment system, because you get the best of both of Reach's and 3's worlds. However, I still will be greatly disappointed if there is not a series of playlists with a system similar to 3's and 2's. If that player investment system is combined with a good true skill playlist series, this Halo will have the best ranking system of the series.

I thought that we established that the ranking system is more accurate than Halo 3's?

The System:

See what they were trying to say is that you probably gain or lose XP through kills, deaths, headshots, assassinations, wins, losses, quitting, etc. Whether you go positive XP or not depends on you. It is likely that you can rank down if you have a negative K/D and you lose, because you go negative XP. Heck, if you die a lot, but still win, you STILL may go negative XP. It depends on YOU. So, yes, a type of 1-50 system is present, but it isn't shown to others, AND it isn't numbered. Plus, it is very accurate. Once you hit the current level cap for your account, you can use a specialization to increase the level cap so you can rank up even farther.

Boosting:

Granted, you can easily have four people make new accounts so you can just kill the crap out of them to gain XP with no ill effects to their real accounts, but I'm sure 343 would take notice of new accounts not earning any XP. Therefore, the only way to boost is to either supress the other team, or to cheat with new accounts, which I'm sure 343 would be watching for.

Spartan Point Boosting:

I would believe that you can't get more SP by deranking to re-earn the rank you just lost. Therefore, the only way to boost SP would be to boost rank, which is not likely to be easy.

Does this console any worries?

The main worry with not having your rank shown is that it drives people away from the competitive playlist. What's the fun in playing if you can't show people who good you are? I've said this so many times before. Visibility of rank actually matters. By making it only visible to yourself then how can you show your friends that you are actually a "50." Not only that, but boosting will still exist regardless if you can see it or not. All it takes is you telling someone else that you are a "50" even though you are a "30" on your account...343i didn't think this out far enough. 1) 343i will never stop boosting, it'll always be there 2) visibility is one of the primary reasons why competitive players play. 3) credit system doesn't represent skill, just how much you play the game.

• Like 2

Jesus, I am sick of the rank whines. Maybe 343 will update it later to be visible? Honestly, I think the ranking system I proposed a few posts up is more competitive than Halo 3. Just give 343 time. THEY CAN UPDATE IT. So let them do what they will. There is no time to change it or argue about it. We should just accept it and hope they update it if it is bad.

Disclaimer: So I'm just going to throw my own two cents into this. This isn't to knock somebody's theory down, or to make somebody feel "stupid" or anything like that, strictly just my opinion based on what I've seen and heard.

Personally, I don't feel that the Reach style ranks we've seen in Halo 4 are going to represent the 1-50, and are strictly like the "overall" rank obtained in Halo 3. They will not go down, and I'd wager everything I own that these are the ranks used to determine when you get Spartain Points.

We've seen EXP return, and judging from what I've seen it is going to work like Reach's credit system. Wins, Kills, Assists, etc. will all add to EXP, and will improve your overall rank. We haven't seen confirmation of a 1-50 (or similar) system, we've only seen the "A-7" - which could be a similar system. As far as I'm aware (and please, somebody give me a link if I'm wrong), the ranking system has not been confirmed other than "a kind of mix between Reach and Halo 3".

The main worry with not having your rank shown is that it drives people away from the competitive playlist. What's the fun in playing if you can't show people how good you are? I've said this so many times before. Visibility of rank actually matters. By making it only visible to yourself then how can you show your friends that you are actually a "50." Not only that, but boosting will still exist regardless if you can see it or not. All it takes is you telling someone else that you are a "50" even though you are a "30" on your account...343i didn't think this out far enough. 1) 343i will never stop boosting, it'll always be there 2) rank visibility is one of the primary reasons why competitive players play. 3) credit system doesn't represent skill, just how much you play the game.

Hit the nail on the head!

First off, 1-50 has not been removed. There is a a 1-50 esque ranking system for Ranked playlists. However, only you the player can see your own rank, but obviously for example, when you are a 50 and search a Ranked playlist, it will pair you up with 40+ players so you can have an idea of their skill. The other ranking system is more of a social system similar to Reach, this system is where players will have titles similar to Reach that other players can see. Now the kicker is that ALL experience (Spartan Points) from any playlist, and all activity from Wargames and Spartan ops goes to your Social esgue rank title.

@Fzdw: At the Comic Con panel, Frank and the lead developer of WarGames confirmed that there is a 1-50 "esque" ranking system for Ranked playlists. You are correct that they have not said what it is exactly called as we the community have indeed seen the A-7 listed, so it could be along those lines. But they did confirm a 1-50 esque system for ranked playlists. And as previously stated, only you can see your rank. I also agree that the Spartan Point system is going to be similar to Reach ranking cR system.

• Like 1