Tuck & Roll (Hold "jump" while landing) to avoid falling damage?

GHRBX92

Well I realize it's a bit late to bring this up, but thinking realistically, any trained soldier (spartan included) should know how to fall.. but, instead of it being a forced movement when falling from so high, i think we should have the option to hold "jump" upon hitting the ground to do a tuck & roll maneuver and resist some falling damage. I wouldn't believe it to be too outrageous, considering you'd have to give up a couple seconds to complete the roll, thus leaving yourself vulnerable to taking fire, but I'd like the option to give up that short amount of time to preserve a bit of shield/health upon falling from a certain height. What if i want to get from point A to a much lower altitude-positioned point B fast, no one is pursuing me, and i don't feel like taking the stairs or falling damage? Any input would be appreciated, positive or negative. Thanks! :D

• Like 6

I didn't even know that there was gonna be fall damage, but then again, I never looked. I would like to avoid fall damage and stairs, so I know how you feel. I have mixed feeling about this, but it's a little more positive than negative.

• Like 1

Hm. A tuck and roll mechanic to prevent some falling damage... interesting, and I'd say that it'd have to be something that needs to be timed perfectly, otherwise it won't work. And for obvious reasons, huge falls (such as from the top of Spire) shouldn't have this affect it in the least, but for smaller falls? Yeah, I could see that.

• Like 1

more the ability to lock your armor (not armor lock) like MC does in the beginning of HALO 3

(for greater fall, like from the spire)

When i think of this, i imagine a sketchy looking "standing back up" motion, similar to being knocked down in Skyrim and standing back up.. Unless they went about a different way of doing it and making it FLAWLESS...

Hm. A tuck and roll mechanic to prevent some falling damage... interesting, and I'd say that it'd have to be something that needs to be timed perfectly, otherwise it won't work. And for obvious reasons, huge falls (such as from the top of Spire) shouldn't have this affect it in the least, but for smaller falls? Yeah, I could see that.

Agreed. The Spire.. well, that kinda fall should kill anything.. xD but yeah, i'd give it an even rate of height.. maybe just barely above the height you could actually survive a fall from, since it'd be meant to prevent the damage, not to avoid dying.

WOW. What an amazing idea. This is why I love these forums. This would be a great addition to the Halo franchise for many different reasons. Firstly, it is a realistic way to add a feature that makes people stop complaining about fall damage. Its simple physics, this is why they talk about knowing how to fall in sports sometimes. How you do it has a large effect on the damage that you sustain.

Secondly, this would add a skill feature to the game. As long as it's not too easy to do this could be a fun and competetive feature in War Games.

Liked for sure.

• Like 1

Sounds pretty interesting. But if you ask close minded people who can't stand change, like many who are complying about Halo 4, they would say it sucks, because its not Halo.

Somebody is bitter. With all due respect threads like this don't need comments designed to attract attention of this type and potentially start arguments. Let this thread be about the OP's idea and only about that.

• Like 1

Somebody is bitter. With all due respect threads like this don't need comments designed to attract attention of this type and potentially start arguments. Let this thread be about the OP's idea and only about that.

LOL yeah, sorry. I think this would be an awesome choice, and would also make you choose between shooting the guy under you or avoiding Fall Damage. But, Fall Damage's already out of Halo 4 :(

This is something which has already been in every Halo game except in Halo 3.

If you crouch at the right time just before hitting the ground, it can significantly reduce the amount of damage you take: as far as I'm aware, it's possible to survive falls from about one and a half times the normal kill threshold if done correctly. However if you crouch at the wrong time, your Spartan will actually take extra damage. You can still take serious damage or be killed outright even if you do it correctly, but it is a skill which can be learned and then used to improve your chances of surviving long falls.

Some sort of crouch roll is an interesting concept, but kind of redundant.

I think they should get rid of fall damage completely.

I've said this before but here's my thing. If 343 is emphasizing that spartans are these beast-mode super soldiers, then why should they be affected by a fall? Seems kind of contradictory to me.

I think they should get rid of fall damage completely.

I've said this before but here's my thing. If 343 is emphasizing that spartans are these beast-mode super soldiers, then why should they be affected by a fall? Seems kind of contradictory to me.

i think any badass would be affected by a fall... Look any person who jumps from 25 feet up...

i think any badass would be affected by a fall... Look any person who jumps from 25 feet up...

Master Chief jumped from 2 kilometers up and then got up to stop the Covenant invasion of Earth. Even a Spartan-IV should be able to handle most 25 - 30 foot falls.

What Zuko said.

If 343 is putting emphasis on this "elite supersoldier experience" I don't think a little fall would hurt anybody.