Halo 4 design and art-style

DenniTheDude

I'm making a thread open for discussion about the looks of Halo 4.

I make this mostly because I am really worried about the looks of the Halo 4 sniper rifle.

The art-style of the new UNSC sniper rifle looks horrible. It has a lot of things that don't make any sense and some things that are just in the way and distracts.

For example, The scope looks like a radio from the 1960:s. It has an analog sight (or whatever it's called) that can't even be used, and it doesn't need to be there just because of that. Besides, the full-screen digital sight looked a lot cooler in Halo: Reach, and it had an effect, check it out if you don't know what I mean. And Halo 4 doesn't have that.

Also on the sight, it needs a cable to be powered? What? did UNSC downgrade the sniper to so that it needs a showing, cheap looking cable to power that small screen? Which by the way, is a lot smaller then the previous versions.

It also has a handlebar? Why? Like, did the army get greedy and say it wasn't comfortable enough to carry? Or maybe they want to use the sniper as a mini-gun? It looks like it's supposed to be like that.

Also, why have they removed that magnificent, so much more enjoyable sound when you shoot with it? Now, honestly, it sounds like it's driven with gas and old rusty springs that are about to break. Seriously. I don't get it why you have to change this kind of stuff? Do you explain it somehow why the UNSC decided to downgrade it. Or just simply, why did 343 decide to make it look like it was homemade if there was some kind of an apocalypse and someone took the old lawnmower motor and combined it with their kids trampoline springs and made it shoot something.

Also, I nearly forgot, The two curved things on the HUD sight when you zoom in, what is the purpose of those? They don't change when you move the sight or shoot or anything so they're just there to distract. Maybe I'm over-exaggerating on this one specifically, but they kind of create an illusion of a circle they make by themselves that distracts a whole lot, at least so it seems. Is that just me or...?

For the record, I am not complaining about Halo 4, Only about the sniper rifle. Which all of my friends, that by the way, like me, have played Halo ever since Halo Combat Evolved came out on Xbox.

• Like 1

Screen-shot-2012-06-05-at-8.58.21-PM.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCz6o65-3ek

Here's this for all you lazy people out there :P

The sniper looks way more bulky than it needs to be. The sounds you were hearing during gameplay might still be placeholder sounds though. That is they are not final and were just put in so that testers would get to hear something instead of nothing.

I'm not sure.

Liked.

I agree with the bulkiness of the sniper rifle is a little out of hand, but it's not enough to irritate me to the extent of not playing the game. As for the sound, I actually enjoy it.

But you have to agree that the old sounds do sound better... Please, for the fans :D Hah :)

• Like 1

Well, while I do somewhat agree on it's aesthetics, just remember they took a wide range of guns, and recorded the sound for the game. So, can't really complain in that field, as it sounds real. But I'm not disagreeing with you, it's too bulky, and too many unnecessary add ons.

How can you say that? It looks WAY more cooler now with the new scope and all the new cool details. It looks like a upgrade on th old sniper. I hate the design om the old one!

Please, come one, are you serious? In all seriousness, do you like CoD? Because I know that (at least the modern warfare games) have unnecessary details that don't make any sense. I mean, they need to be able to be used if they are going to be there...

What annoyed me was how hard it was to see in front of you while sprinting.

*Based off of RTX footage*

Hah yeah, it's really huge with no reason for it to be.

Screen-shot-2012-06-05-at-8.58.21-PM.png

Here's this for all you lazy people out there :P

The sniper looks way more bulky than it needs to be. The sounds you were hearing during gameplay might still be placeholder sounds though. That is they are not final and were just put in so that testers would get to hear something instead of nothing.

I'm not sure.

Liked.

That picture is fooling a lot, it doesn't look bulky and weird at all here, but in-game it looks weird.

I thought this was going to be about the art style of Halo 4 which looks amazing, it makes me want to become a concept artist more and more. Although your correct. I don't think of myself as amazing artist but I can spot what they have done wrong, the saying "less is more" comes to mind. They added a lot of things to the sniper that you can't even use, there is a lot of false advertisement there and when I see something, I want to be able to use that! It looks as if it has a built in 4g capability! I think It would be cool if they did more of an approach with a thiner screen almost like an I phone connected to the top or even side for a more futuristic approach. I'm not sure what they are doing with it, but it almost feels like an inexperienced attempt to make it look "cooler". Although when it comes to it, game-play is what really matters and will define the sniper, but it would be a nice plus if it was more sleek.

I thought this was going to be about the art style of Halo 4 which looks amazing, it makes me want to become a concept artist more and more. Although your correct. I don't think of myself as amazing artist but I can spot what they have done wrong, the saying "less is more" comes to mind. They added a lot of things to the sniper that you can't even use, there is a lot of false advertisement there and when I see something, I want to be able to use that! It looks as if it has a built in 4g capability! I think It would be cool if they did more of an approach with a thiner screen almost like an I phone connected to the top or even side for a more futuristic approach. I'm not sure what they are doing with it, but it almost feels like an inexperienced attempt to make it look "cooler". Although when it comes to it, game-play is what really matters and will define the sniper, but it would be a nice plus if it was more sleek.

I agree, gameplay is more important of course :D

But they really need to change the sniper, the thing you said that it should be thin, Not 100% what you mean, but I think you mean that it sort of sticks out above or something? That wouldn't be a smart design if you ask me, because if you think about it, if it was real, it would break of really easy and there would have not been anything good with it sticking out. The smartest design is the ones the have in Reach for example, and yeah, all the others to since they're very similar.

And again... I think you just cry too much. Its just the looks man. Canonically, its been years since Halo 3's end, and Halo 4's start. We don't know, maybe they are Canon improvements. Just STFU and stop whining. If you are complaining about some things like these, just don't buy the game.

Not sure if anybody will follow my logic here. IMHO the Halo sniper rifle Needs to be built. The Halo Reach sniper was built. It doesn't need to be thin or fat. (its fat right now)

They can make it have some weight and mass to it but it should be more of a dense weight than a bulky weight.

There is no reason to include anything that doesn't serve a purpose. The side scope they added to the Halo 4 sniper rifle was completely unnecessary. They could have done it ten times better if they did the scope like the Halo Reach sniper.

I agree. So much of it us unneeded. I think your right when you say they downsized what used to be a sleek death machine. They just went a little overkill.

And again... I think you just cry too much. Its just the looks man. Canonically, its been years since Halo 3's end, and Halo 4's start. We don't know, maybe they are Canon improvements. Just STFU and stop whining. If you are complaining about some things like these, just don't buy the game.

Woah Woah Woah. Settle down a bit. He isn't "whining". He is just telling what he thinks. This is a forum which was made to discuss opinions about halo. He is simply giving his opinion. If you want to fight our "whiners" just wait a few days for some new member to join and complain about armor abilities or custom loadouts.

• Like 1

For the record, I am not complaining about Halo 4, Only about the sniper rifle. Which all of my friends, that by the way, like me, have played Halo ever since Halo Combat Evolved came out on Xbox.

Then why did you name the thread "Halo 4 design and art-style" as opposed to "Halo 4 Sniper design and art-style. Anyone who looks at this thread is going to immediately assume your complaining about the aesthetic of the entire game. Not that it matters much, mind you, It just grinds my gears a little bit.

I agree with you about the Sniper, even though, overall, I'm finding the Art direction in H4 to be huge improvement over Reach.

• Like 1

I actually like it more than the old one. The "bulkiness" of it to me just says that they've put in more hardware into the scope. The second, offset mini-scope to me looks great, and gives the impression that this is a really advanced weapon.

Also, look at it from a regular UNSC soldier's point of view. The reach sniper would be incredibly hard to use as you'd have to keep your head a certain distance from the screen in order to see it in focus, hence making it harder to target enemies accurately. The Halo 4 model, has an eyesight, which would make it much easier to use. Not all UNSC soldiers are Spartan IVs who have the sniper scope feed into their HUD. Also, the light given off by the screen would be a dead-giveaway of position, so the smaller secondary screen reduces the chance of that happening.

The "handlebar" is there so you don't damage the scope accidentally by having to grab it in order to carry it or pick it up, and if I'm looking at the same thing you're referring to, it was ALSO in the Reach model, and the Halo 3 model; but was positioned downwards in the Reach model. The wire you see was ALSO in the Halo Reach model, but there were actually two wires in that one.

Another thing, I'm not sure if they've done this, but I would love if they changed the way the Reach Sniper's smoke trail dissipated. Instead of just disappearing, it would be awesome if they reverted it to the combat evolved version, where the smoke trail is blown away.

Then why did you name the thread "Halo 4 design and art-style" as opposed to "Halo 4 Sniper design and art-style. Anyone who looks at this thread is going to immediately assume your complaining about the aesthetic of the entire game. Not that it matters much, mind you, It just grinds my gears a little bit.

I agree with you about the Sniper, even though, overall, I'm finding the Art direction in H4 to be huge improvement over Reach.

I like the Halo 4 design and so on, except for the sniper rifle, but I made a thread where you can discuss everything, but I started the discussion with the sniper. There is one more thing I don't like and that is that the teleporting promethean (not sure how to spell it) guy has a human skull, unless they somehow explain why he has a human skull, and not a different kind of skull. You can see it in one of the earliest gameplay videos of H4 I believe when he sort of grabs on to you and opens up his helmet as he screams.

I actually like it more than the old one. The "bulkiness" of it to me just says that they've put in more hardware into the scope. The second, offset mini-scope to me looks great, and gives the impression that this is a really advanced weapon.

Also, look at it from a regular UNSC soldier's point of view. The reach sniper would be incredibly hard to use as you'd have to keep your head a certain distance from the screen in order to see it in focus, hence making it harder to target enemies accurately. The Halo 4 model, has an eyesight, which would make it much easier to use. Not all UNSC soldiers are Spartan IVs who have the sniper scope feed into their HUD. Also, the light given off by the screen would be a dead-giveaway of position, so the smaller secondary screen reduces the chance of that happening.

The "handlebar" is there so you don't damage the scope accidentally by having to grab it in order to carry it or pick it up, and if I'm looking at the same thing you're referring to, it was ALSO in the Reach model, and the Halo 3 model; but was positioned downwards in the Reach model. The wire you see was ALSO in the Halo Reach model, but there were actually two wires in that one.

Another thing, I'm not sure if they've done this, but I would love if they changed the way the Reach Sniper's smoke trail dissipated. Instead of just disappearing, it would be awesome if they reverted it to the combat evolved version, where the smoke trail is blown away.

What kind of hardware? Because the way the sniper handles isn't at all improved, which means that it doesn't need to be bigger. I saw what you meant with the cable on the Reach sniper and I didn't even know it was there, and that is kind of really good, since the H4 sniper cable just sticks out in the open, when the Reach sniper actually was built so that it was close to the scope and not just hanging out, and in real life, running through woods with that cable? It would get stuck in bushes and other things or something, it just looks a lot bulkier then it should be, since there are no improvements.

I'm not really 100% sure what you mean that you have to keep your head a certain distance from the screen? You always, no matter what scope you use, in real life to, have to keep a distance from the scope. You can not lean your head against it as the recoil would smack your eye and face as you shoot. So it doesn't matter if you have a digital scope or a regular one. That is a common mistake people make if they haven't used guns before.

And from the UNSC soldiers point of view, that sniper is to big for a regular human, with no special abilities, like more strength or something to hold steady since it's so huge.

I don't know, the screen-glow that you are talking about seems a little way to much to complain about, I mean, in that case, it's not hard to solve it, almost all phones have the ability to lower the brightness automatically depending on the brightness in the room, or where ever you are.

The handlebar thing is on the other snipers as well, but again, not unnecessarily bulky and sticking out so much. The Halo 3 sniper looks way better with the scope at least, but the handlebar could have been slightly smaller, but they seem to have positioned the sniper a little differently, because in H3 you can see the tip of the sniper but in H4 it's not as easy, and sort of looks dumb because of that. I still think that the Halo 1 sniper is beautiful, but the Reach sniper is coolest and looks most user-friendly. If I had to chose which one I would use IRL :D lol, I would chose the Reach one, no doubt.

I haven't really though about the smoke trails before, but do they really just fade away in Reach? that's kind of lame if it didn't do that before :D It's cooler if it blows away :)

I can't explain too well, but I generally think that a digital scope like the one on the Reach model would be harder to use than a regular one. Also, I was thinking rather hard canon-wise which is why I mentioned the scope glare. I can't really argue about how the H4 sniper handles, since I can't determine it from other players. I see the appeal in a big screen on a sniper, but the H4 scope introduces something new compared to the other versions, which is why I like it.

The thing I dislike about the Halo 4 model, is that it looks a bit stubby, or short, compared to the Reach model.

Also, the skull inside of the promethean knight isn't entirely human: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120605141031/halo/images/thumb/d/de/P.K%27s_skull.png/640px-P.K%27s_skull.png

Note the nose and jaw structure.

I can't explain too well, but I generally think that a digital scope like the one on the Reach model would be harder to use than a regular one. Also, I was thinking rather hard canon-wise which is why I mentioned the scope glare. I can't really argue about how the H4 sniper handles, since I can't determine it from other players. I see the appeal in a big screen on a sniper, but the H4 scope introduces something new compared to the other versions, which is why I like it.

The thing I dislike about the Halo 4 model, is that it looks a bit stubby, or short, compared to the Reach model.

Also, the skull inside of the promethean knight isn't entirely human: http://images3.wikia...P.K's_skull.png

Note the nose and jaw structure.

Hmm the skull actually doesn't look human, but in my opinion, it needs more changes, because I watched that video multiple times, and it still looked like a regular human skull. Should be more unique if you ask me.

The thing with the scope being harder to aim, I just don't get it, It really shouldn't be harder, besides, the digital scope did have lines to if that would help, just not as in real snipers today.

i love the way the game looks everything looks like its from the future as for the sniper i like everything about it excepte the scope which is to big.

It actually looks less futuristic if you ask me, talking about the sniper of course. Since it has a regular sight that exists today. But the problem is that you can't even use it, and that is fake advertising to maybe make it look more high tech apparently without it being better, since it does the same job as the other snipers did. Its design is just changed with no real reason.

Hmm the skull actually doesn't look human, but in my opinion, it needs more changes, because I watched that video multiple times, and it still looked like a regular human skull. Should be more unique if you ask me.

The thing with the scope being harder to aim, I just don't get it, It really shouldn't be harder, besides, the digital scope did have lines to if that would help, just not as in real snipers today.

It actually looks less futuristic if you ask me, talking about the sniper of course. Since it has a regular sight that exists today. But the problem is that you can't even use it, and that is fake advertising to maybe make it look more high tech apparently (by some, not me) without it being better, since it does the same job as the other snipers did. Its design is just changed with no real reason.

• 6 months later...