Halo 4 forge option weather

There won't be a option to choose the weather or time of day as they said in the roosterteeth expo, but you can take advantages of the dynamic lighting to make it dark

Gods, I hope that the shadows are cast from as far away as you can place an object. Then we could make a dark area. And honestly, we need WAY more than 2 lights.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Supposedly they wont do the night time effect due to people abusing it in MM with invisibility. But what I cant seem to understand is, why cut out the possibility completely when it can also be just cut out from MM? There is no reason to cut it out at all just because of invisibility. I think we should be able to have the night time effect for forge and custom games. I can see why not to have it for MM, but we should have it for forge and custom games if we choose to use it. And I would also love to have weather controls. I personally think it would be awesome to build something cool and then have snow covering the ground and area's of one's forging maps.

• Like 1

Supposedly they wont do the night time effect due to people abusing it in MM with invisibility. But what I cant seem to understand is, why cut out the possibility completely when it can also be just cut out from MM? There is no reason to cut it out at all just because of invisibility. I think we should be able to have the night time effect for forge and custom games. I can see why not to have it for MM, but we should have it for forge and custom games if we choose to use it. And I would also love to have weather controls. I personally think it would be awesome to build something cool and then have snow covering the ground and area's of one's forging maps.

Golden ideas.

It should be like FarCry2's map editor.

That would be awesome. But it would be very hard.

Well. We do not know about how big forge world is yet. I can see there being different terrains.

I can try to explain why some of these features won't make it, but I can also shed light on how they theoretically could be done.

Weather: Due to the way the compiling process works with scenario files and bsp_structures, when you place weather for a map in the sandox, the sandbox changes tag values insode the bsp tag to relate the weather and any particle contact effects. Aka... drips hitting surfaces, or weather hitting the ground. Also, there are planes placed insode the 3d app the level is created in. These planes are known as portals. Unfortunatly since it is a gemoetry item with a specific shader applied, these planes cannot be altered or added to maps that don't have them.

Weather could however be added via the "trigger volume" trick they are using to pull off "player trait zones". In a nutshell, they could theoretically link the weather tag to the event script. But the catch is, you would have to make that trait zone cover the whole map, or certain sections...which would lead to massive zones, and quite possibly mess with the selection of items that are in the zone.

Terrain: Map editors like farcry's utilized a completely different and very powerful engine. Blam, has never supported or implimented geometry and collision/physics updates to level mesh. Generally, anything level mesh specific has to be compiled and packaged. Changing the terrain of a level, or creating new instances of terrain, would require a full sandbox process, and a way for the 360 to compile that gemoetry and link it to the corret referrence tags. Also it would require the execution of additional individual processess...something that is locked out of the 360. the Xbox 360 only allows for one single process to be run by the processor. Now yes Forge is kind of like an additional process, but Forge is also a scripted UI that requires no dedicated processing thread from the CPU, since everything is pre compiled into the xex, and it's dependency files.

That being said, it is quite possible for them to release a stand alone DLC game that is basically just a sandbox editor/compiler. This of coarse would give the community a way to edit, decompress and decrypt secure map files, something that M$ and 343i would not likely want you to do. But it does present a possability to do these things, albeit very slowly, and you would have to do the leg work of creation mostly without a visual UI to tie it all in together. In other words, you would have to do the editing work, but without any real world in-game interactions. Which means you wouldn't really know how the edits effect gameplay until you finish and the map is pumped out. Think of it like Forging, but without being able to test how the ramps, or the grav lifts work after you placd them right away.

Now, none of this is solid information. The only information i can assure you is the limitations I pointed out. I cannot say for sure that the newer version of Megaloscript would be able to be used to such a degree, to afford us weather or fuurther editing, nor can I say that DLC could in theory be used to edit stuff. This is all just a guess based on previous modding and how it could potentially be done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dynamic weather would be good...but you have to look at it from a gameplay perspective. Being able to change the weather hardly has any effect on that, thus, theres no reason for 343 to expend time and resources on such a feature.

Yeah but it's not that hard to build in a climate option where stickies don't always explode, plasma is reduced a certain %... etc. If a turning on a skull in campaign can change the physics of the game as much as it does it stands to reason a random selection we CAN'T control added to the map would make it much more interesting. Gameplay is overrated, it's downfall is it becomes formulaic. Spawn. Run for the sniper or rocket launcher. You know what I'm saying. They always do this, so you HAVE to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I think it would be cool to edit lighting and wheather, however, that would take alot of work (work for 343), mostly unessecary work too. I just hope they add a few foliage objects, atleast 5 mid to large trees and a couple of shrubery and grasses, if they did that, then I would for sure buy Halo 4.