The Shutdown of the H3 Sever

ProCraft

First off, they don't just shut them down because of low traffic. The decision to shut down a server comes from not wanting to fragment the community over 3 different Halo titles. Halo 2 was shutdown because Reach was coming, and because halo 2 had been ported over to PC, opening the doors for self hosted servers. If and when Halo 3 gets shutdown, you'll know ahead of time, and it will be for a good reason...not just because they want to. All games move on evolve and the same can be said for dedicated server support. It is only natural that Halo 3 comes down at some point in time.

Actually it was shut down because they were shutting down ALL OXBL severs, not because there was too many games in the series.

Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading somewhere that servers for Xbox Live games wouldn't shut down as long as 100 ppl or more are playing the game,

Lol I think more than 100 people were playing Halo 2 before it shut down. Besides, most Xbox 360 games will have their servers shutdown 4-5 years after Xbox 720 releases

PS sorry for quoting you lol

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard from multiple people over XboxLive that they will be shutting down the Halo 3 Server as soon as Halo 4 comes out. I don't know if this is true or not (I hope not). But if it is shutdown would people still be able to play custom games with friends and co-op campaign or no.

I highly doubt this. The only reason Halo2 shut down was because Microsoft had no need for the original Xbox servers. They were losing money keeping the servers up then just to shut them down. Halo3 will probably die when the next xbox comes out and Microsoft shuts down the old servers- if they shut down the old servers.

Don't trust everything you hear over xbox live....

Microsoft disabled the entire Original xbox Live service, meaning no original xbox games with live content can now be played online.

Halo 2 is an original xbox game = no live

Iv read this so many times in multiple different places and everyone bases their facts off of Halo 2 no longer being live supported while no original xbox games still have live support. Halo 2 online live basically got caught in the crossfire of a descision made at a much higher level. Not being able to play halo 2 on live anymore is a result of this and not any direct action towards disabling only the Halo 2 live service...

I find the facts get lost most likely because nearing the end of the original xbox live service Halo 2 had the highest percentage of players for original xbox games with live content. So when the service was disabled many looked at it as just losing Halo 2 and not realizing that the entire original service was disabled.

• Like 1

That's sad to hear, I haven't heard of this before now. Does anyone know if you can still host and play games over that other service? I can't remember the name, but you used to be able to run a program on your PC which would enable you to play Halo 2 and other original Xbox games on servers other than the ones XBL provided.

First off bungie/343 do not own the servers microsoft does

2nd Halo 3 servers are only responsible for supporting playlist platforms so there is no point to take it down as it requires no maintanence (this is why you havent had to download an update when playing halo 3 since February)

3rd the only reason why halo 2 was taken down was because it was supported by the orignal xbox and all original xbox games have been taken down due to XBL no longer supporting Orginal Xbox consoles. (nothing to do with halo 2 at all)

4th to those that think no one plays halo 3 well if you check out this link you will see halo 3 is among the top 20 most played games every month (not halo wars) http://majornelson.c...-of-october-15/

5th anyone who disagrees with any of the above points is a moron.

Conclusion Halo 3 will remain a online playable game, for those who choose to play, through the release of the new xbox.

i literally made an account just because of the lack of intelligent posts on this thread

Word

the only halo game servers that might go down next is halo wars. Just that it's a low population

Again NO game will be shut down because if population and no game has ever been shutdown because I population...halo wars like halo 3 will continue to be supported til they shut down the servers for all Xbox 360 XBL support...no one game has its own servers that keep it running the only specific servers they use are servers that maintain playlists such team death match, team slayer, homerun derby, gold challenge on forbade white, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...