Helping with world hunger

The Director

So, there's this site some of you may have heard of. It's called "Freerice.com".

For those of you who haven't heard of it, this site uses ad revenue that it gains from you playing a rather simple game to donate rice to those who need it. For every question you answer correctly, they donate 10 grains of rice. This adds up rather quickly, and is a nice way to do some good and pass the time, especially if you are bored.

I myself have already donated 1900 grains of rice at the time of this post. It also allows you to brag to your facebook friends about how cool you are for giving food to those who don't have any.

The game is rather simple as well. It gives you a word, and you pick one that either means the same thing, or nearly means the same thing. The difficulty increases as you answer questions correctly, but you can bring the difficulty back down if you feel the need to.

You don't have to click the ads, you just have to play the game. For every question you get right, 10 grains of rice are donated. No surveys, no personal information gathering, no scams or tricks.

10 grains of rice doesn't sound like much, which is why I'm raising public awareness of it. If you and 10 friends answer one question, that's 100 grains. If 100 people answer 1 question, that's 1,000 grains. If 1 million people answer 10 questions, that's 100 million grains of rice. As you can see, it adds up fairly quickly.

All you have to do to donate is go to freerice.com and answer the questions for a while. This site isn't blocked in most schools, and may not be blocked at your work. You don't even have to create a profile to donate. The profiles are so that you can keep track of what you've donated so far.

Freerice.jpg

In case you can't read it the picture of the website

1. This is where you keep track of what you've donated.

2. This is where you answer questions.

3. This is a little graphic representation of what you've donated so far.

4. This banner ad only appears when you've answered a question correctly. It's what pays for the rice. See? *the text below this states [sponsored banners displayed on correct answers pay for the rice donated]*

5. These are blogs, player activity trackers, and news stories that are related to hunger.

Here is a thread started by Luke to keep track of the totals of forum members as well. :D http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/10772-helping-with-world-hunger-totals-and-targets/

• Like 6

Sounds very cool, but where do they get the money for the rice?

Every time you answer a question correctly, there is a little banner ad. It's placed where you can see it, but not to where it's that noticeable. From showing you the ad, they make enough money to buy the rice. I'll put a screenshot up in a bit.

Ok, I have an idea.

Keep posting what you have earnt so far here, and then we can total up what we have earnt as a forum - so basically how many lives we've saved.

How long will it take to get to 100,000 Pieces of Rice?

At our current rate, I don't expect it will be long.

Current Standings:

Luke: 1,200

The Director: 10,100

fzdw11: 10,000

SweatyBagels: 3500

JackH1996: 1010

Radiostatic37: 490

Darkassassin:500

Current Total: 26,800 Grains of Rice!

So, I've found it much less trying to go on and donate a thousand or so ever hour or two. :D It's a whole lot better than sitting there answering questions uninterrupted for hours on end. So, answer 10-20 questions, then watch a youtube video, then 10-20 more.

I played this game in elementary schoo;! Thanks for finding it! now i can help people!!!!!!!!!!!!! again!

I played it in middle school lol waaaaay back in the day. I rediscovered it recently when one of my friends made a joke about how there should be a "freesoysauce.com" so that they could have some flavors with their rice. lol