Halo: Reach is not canon, and Noble team cannot exist...

Roun Cole

Halo: Reach does not exist, the game plot is completely wrong, and none of it ever happened.

I am here to prove once and for all that the plot of Halo: Reach is not canon, it is a rewrite, and is not real Halo, not only as a cry for justice that we have been betrayed by the people we trusted to deliver the battle of reach, "From the beginning, you know the end." as the official slogan of the game goes. But to shoot down any bastardization of future plot destruction by way of material from Halo: Reach being used in the future.

I will start with the most plain flaws of the plot, number one on my list is the Pillar of Autumn.

The Pillar of Autumn as seen in Halo: Reach was grounded and preparing to launch, this is not true, I reference the book 'the fall of reach'(which came out before halo2) as my evidence.

QUOTE FROM "the fall of reach"

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

0400 Hours, August 30, 2552 (Military Calendar) / UNSC Pillar of Autumn, in orbit around Epsilon Eridani System, Reach Military Complex

Captain Keyes tapped the thrusters of the shuttle pod Coda. The tiny craft rolled and the Pillar of Autumn cam into view.

Normally, Captains did not ferry themselves around the space docks of Reach, but Keyes had insisted. All unauthorized personnel were restricted to a narrow flight path around the Pillar of Autumn, and he wanted to take a careful look around the outside of this ship before he took command.

END QUOTE///

This is about half of the first page of chapter twenty nine of 'the fall of reach' page 271 by my book.

As we see here clearly the Pillar of Autumn was not on the ground when the battle started, and ive even heard that the Pillar of Autumn was built in space and cannot land, but I dont have a source for that so its not valid in this argument.

QUOTE FROM 'the fall of reach' (last paragraph of chapter twenty nine)

"Approaching Reach system's edge," Ensign Lovell reported. "Ready to generate a slipstream--"

"Captain!" Lieutenant Dominique cried. "incoming Alpha priority transmission from FLEETCOME HQ at Reach... sir, they'er under Covenant attack!"

END QUOTE///

Page 278 by my book.

With both of these quotations in mind, the plot of Halo: Reach, is utterly wrecked in totality... The basis of the end plot was that Cortana, or a portion of her as has been suggested to me, could not possibly be delivered to the Pillar of Autumn, because it was, as seen in chapters 33-37 in space throughout the entire battle.

Even the battle itself in Halo: Reach is completely wrong, I will not quote anymore in the interest of saving space in this post, but the final chapters 33-37 are available to be read by anyone who is willing to take the time to read them.

In summery, the Pillar of Autumn was surprise attacked by a Covenant Carrier and narrowly destroyed it because of Cortanas skill and capability taking control of the ship.

They then turned around and make full thrust to return to Reach in an attempt to join the fleet in orbit, which they were unable to do. They then witnessed the battle for reach from a large distance and on approach, there were approximately one hundred fifty UNSC ships in orbit, with approximately three hundred Covenant ships preparing to attack from afar.

By the time the Pillar of Autumn came into range of the battle in was nearly to late. John(master chief)Linda, and James, were dispatched to secure navigation data from a space dock to keep it out of Covenant hands, while the rest of the Spartan-IIs were sent to the surface of Reach to defend key instillations that powered the SUPER-MAC orbital platforms that defended the planet, similar to the Cairo Station as seen in Halo2.

James was died, Linda was mortally wounded, John as well as SGT Johnson and a few marines who were on the station escaped back to the Pillar of Autumn, and they jumped to slipstream-space to Halo shortly after.

There, it is done... lol

Again, anyone can read the last few chapters of 'the fall of reach' and verify this summary. With all that said, does this sound like the plot of Halo: Reach? Even a little?

Of course not, because Halo: Reach is a rewrite and bastardization of a perfect plot that would have been one hell of a game all on its own...

Leaving all of that aside, we have the Spartan-IIIs According to the book 'ghosts of onyx' the III program started in the year 2531, with candidates of ages six, doing the math, the oldest possible IIIs in existence would at oldest be twenty seven years old.

When looking at Carters profile on Halopedia, we see that he is in fact thirty two years of age, this is impossible, not to mention that the first two batches of IIIs had all died off.

Kat-B320 22 years old

Emile-A239 29 years old

Jun-A266 28 years old

Impossible, all impossible, Kat is the only one old enough to even exist, and that in of itself is in question.

I could drag on and on pointing out every single flaw in the very substance of Halo: Reach, but this alone is enough in any court of law for to exact a ruling.

I would like to last mention that the armor they use is not even armor rated for IIIs the armor they use is refered to 'ghosts of onyx' but as I said im done at this point.

With the conclusion of just what we see above, not even the fullest documentation of lies and insults to the fans, the destruction of integrate and well as the truest nature of the halo universe in the minds of countless fans around the world.

I here by demand an official apology from those responsible, I want a public statement that the game Halo: Reach is not cannon, and is in fact a rewrite "fan-fiction" game, and has not sway or control over any plot material past present and future.

Any questions or concerns with the evidence above I will be happy to explain and assist in any way I can, I want to make this fact as clear and understood for everyone as much as possible.

Thank you.

• Like 5

Bungie may have gone against what they said in the book, but if they say that it's canon then it's canon.

You fail to understand the gravity of the situation, if things continue as they are, then most of the books and the entire game series are invalid, a prime example is that Sgt Johnson boarding the Pillar of Autumn depended solely on how things played out in the book, if the game is canon, Johnson never made it into the series...

Not to mention that Halo4 is based on the book not the game, so that makes halo4 invalid as well... Do you understand what im saying?

• Like 1

Rewrite happened for the sake of the game. Not a big deal.

For the sake of the game? Dude this game destroys the whole series, for the sake of what? Telling us all that Sgt Johnson was never in the series, that half the series is now invalid?

It would be easier to say that the Master Chief was never born than to accept this as canon...

Bungie may have gone against what they said in the book, but if they say that it's canon then it's canon.

When the first books came out (Fall of Reach, in fact) Bungie announced that the books were canon. Then they made this game seemingly as if they hadn't read the books at all, which in previous releases they were very tedious in making the games match the books so it makes no sense for them not to have here.

Which is why that to this day when people ask what I think of Halo Reach I reply, "I like the multiplayer, but the campaign seems like a half-arsed attempt by a bored company to make some money rather than a loving attempt by a company to say their farewells to a series that they think of as a child."

• Like 5

When the first books came out (Fall of Reach, in fact) Bungie announced that the books were canon. Then they made this game seemingly as if they hadn't read the books at all, which in previous releases they were very tedious in making the games match the books so it makes no sense for them not to have here.

Which is why that to this day when people ask what I think of Halo Reach I reply, "I like the multiplayer, but the campaign seems like a half-arsed attempt by a bored company to make some money rather than a loving attempt by a company to say their farewells to a series that they think of as a child."

Agreed. The multiplayer is great and it is the first game to let us fly spaceships but, it could have been a whole lot better. If only they hadn't cut the level where we get to drive a Scarab. Or, better yet, if they actually stuck to their own freaking books!

• Like 1

i am speechless........... i have not read fall of reach (but i will) the campaign who is great would be greater if it followed the book referring to you @Roun Cole

Hows this for the game, it starts off with the IIs in there room on the Autumn, doing what that do in down time, practicing moves on each other, cleaning weapons, imagine a spartan without armor in fatigues with two others helping him do mantainance, then Keyes enters the room and addresses the Chief like in the book. They get all set to leave and get out to where they are about to jump, then they get the message that Reach is under attack, and out of nowhere someone starts yelling about incomeing fire and it shows a Covenant Carrier baring down on the Autumn, like in the book Cortana takes control of the ship and kicks its ass.

Then it goes back and you hear Keyes say, this is how the end begins...

Hows that for an opening scene?

Then it jumps to the fleet in orbit getting ready to fight, you get control of a few orbital platforms and take potshots at the enemy fleet, and watch the epic fight from what ever angle you want over fleet com-signals.

The Autumn would have to arrive early in on for the sake of the game, but alot of the fighting in space takes place before then. Rich space combat lots of options in that area, finally when the Autumn arrives back at Reach, you would play as the Chief fighting in space and boarding the station to secure the nav-data from a ship, that could be cut into a few sections between the other IIs landing to defend key Installations under attack by all the dropships that managed to slip past and land.

Over 20 different spartans on the ground fighting so much Covenant that they get pushed underground, imagine setting up minefields and gun inplacements and having massive battlefield setups, it would be great because the book doesnt say what happened on the ground, so go ahead and make **** up!

Lots of fighting everywhere so no one would get bored, cycle through everything between the spartans on the ground controlling the Autumn and other ships in space, fighter battles, the whole nine yards...

Then the dramatic finish, the Autumn gets hit by the new Covenant super weapon that to me sounds like a giant beam rifle, John and Linda encounter Johnson and his marines one the station, and Linda gets hit, they board a ship and escape to the Pillar of Autumn and John rushs Linda to the cryo room to try and save her life. The last of the spartans on the ground retreat underground and only a few remain... Keyes orders the retreat, Cortana flashes to the battle of Sigma Octanus where they found the artifact that ultimately leads them to halo, and she plots the course, they arrive and say, "what the hell is that?".

The legendary ending would show Halsey with the last Half dozen IIs underground, discovering the forerunner installation discribed in 'first strike'.

Maybe not the cleanest discription, but pretty damn good dont you think?

• Like 2

Hows this for the game, it starts off with the IIs in there room on the Autumn, doing what that do in down time, practicing moves on each other, cleaning weapons, imagine a spartan without armor in fatigues with two others helping him do mantainance, then Keyes enters the room and addresses the Chief like in the book. They get all set to leave and get out to where they are about to jump, then they get the message that Reach is under attack, and out of nowhere someone starts yelling about incomeing fire and it shows a Covenant Carrier baring down on the Autumn, like in the book Cortana takes control of the ship and kicks its ass.

Then it goes back and you hear Keyes say, this is how the end begins...

Hows that for an opening scene?

Then it jumps to the fleet in orbit getting ready to fight, you get control of a few orbital platforms and take potshots at the enemy fleet, and watch the epic fight from what ever angle you want over fleet com-signals.

The Autumn would have to arrive early in on for the sake of the game, but alot of the fighting in space takes place before then. Rich space combat lots of options in that area, finally when the Autumn arrives back at Reach, you would play as the Chief fighting in space and boarding the station to secure the nav-data from a ship, that could be cut into a few sections between the other IIs landing to defend key Installations under attack by all the dropships that managed to slip past and land.

Over 20 different spartans on the ground fighting so much Covenant that they get pushed underground, imagine setting up minefields and gun inplacements and having massive battlefield setups, it would be great because the book doesnt say what happened on the ground, so go ahead and make **** up!

Lots of fighting everywhere so no one would get bored, cycle through everything between the spartans on the ground controlling the Autumn and other ships in space, fighter battles, the whole nine yards...

Then the dramatic finish, the Autumn gets hit by the new Covenant super weapon that to me sounds like a giant beam rifle, John and Linda encounter Johnson and his marines one the station, and Linda gets hit, they board a ship and escape to the Pillar of Autumn and John rushs Linda to the cryo room to try and save her life. The last of the spartans on the ground retreat underground and only a few remain... Keyes orders the retreat, Cortana flashes to the battle of Sigma Octanus where they found the artifact that ultimately leads them to halo, and she plots the course, they arrive and say, "what the hell is that?".

The legendary ending would show Halsey with the last Half dozen IIs underground, discovering the forerunner installation discribed in 'first strike'.

Maybe not the cleanest discription, but pretty damn good dont you think?

Sounds awesome. That's what should have happened.

From what i've heard Bungie said that the story of the games always counts more than the stories in the books

That cant work out, the whole story is based around the books, the reason why Johnson made it off reach, the reason why he survived the flood, how Johnson and the Chief made it back to earth, the reason for the war as a whole, all kinds of stuff littering the story of the games is solely dependant on the books, and now, with halo4 coming how, the whole game is based not only on the newest books, but this very same book were talking about here, if this book becomes invalidated, then halo4 is not halo and we should all give up right now...

The books are everything, and this book came out years before the game did, it was here before halo2 and is in essence the origin of the series, if we take that away, then we might as well say that the Chief was never born...

It's pretty simple, actually. Bungie claimed that canon is as follows: Games > Books. It's an unfortunate truth, but since they started the series, they determine what is and what is not canon, and we have no choice but to accept that fact. 343, on the other hand, is making a play at keeping everything working together, so this issue doesn't come up again.

While I feel for you on this one, and I like your argument and your points, and it was a very well written and thought out post, at this point it does not matter. Look at Reach (the game) as it's own entitiy, and leave it out of everything else. A different "reality" or a different version of what could have happened, rather than trying to argue the fact that the book and game are different and that one or the other just can't have happened.

• Like 1

It's pretty simple, actually. Bungie claimed that canon is as follows: Games > Books. It's an unfortunate truth, but since they started the series, they determine what is and what is not canon, and we have no choice but to accept that fact. 343, on the other hand, is making a play at keeping everything working together, so this issue doesn't come up again.

While I feel for you on this one, and I like your argument and your points, and it was a very well written and thought out post, at this point it does not matter. Look at Reach (the game) as it's own entitiy, and leave it out of everything else. A different "reality" or a different version of what could have happened, rather than trying to argue the fact that the book and game are different and that one or the other just can't have happened.

The reason why this irks me so much is because people keeping about how Jun should come back in halo4 and how Reach relates to halo4 and how Reach is the center of the universe, and blah blah blah, first off Jun is to old to exist, but if we accept Reach as canon then literally the whole series dies, because it contradicts not only itself and kills its own father, so to speak, but key characters like Johnson wouldnt exist, because the events in the book are so crucial to everything...

As I said in my post I want it to be known as 'fan fiction' excluding it from the actual story, and I would like it to be public, so all the people who think its a part of the story can become informed, or at the least have confirmation that 343i knows this and that they will not **** everything up for us in the now trilogy...

Seeing as Bungie no longer has anything to do with Halo, do we really still need to abide by this rule?

That as a rule is a moronic thing to have at all, I mean, how much time do you have in the games for plot setting?

The books are key for connecting all the games together so it can all not only make sense, but be richer and more enjoyable because then you can know more about the characters and have a more detailed history of everything so that when big events happen, the gravity of the situation is more real to you...

Any company that puts the biggest money maker above the well being of the series as a whole needs to be bombed out of financial existence...

Ultimately its the fans who pay for everything, ultimately we made the game, we play the game, we own the game, and who the hell are a bunch of fat ******** to tell us what we do with our money?

They dont make the rules, we do!

I feel like bungie wanted to make 343's job as hard as possible before leaving, so they made the story as contradictory as possible. I'm suprised there wasn't a legendary ending where six takes off his helmet and its Master Chief.

You can really tell they hate the fans, they knew what they could get away with and they did it with a smile on there faces.

Go back and look at all the ads from before Reach game out, they bragged so much about this and that, now we can see just how much they lied to our faces...

Look at forge world, perfect example, they bragged about it so much, but then it was so utterly limited in what you could do, oh, by the way, you cant forge any other maps, but were going to leave that out until after you all buy the game, thats a universal **** you to everyone..... Then when we really look at forge world, you will notice that they designed the whole map to cater to them, so they could have those preset maps they made and have them be perfect, look at that nook up above the hanger, its not a flat field, it has dips and bumps fine tuned for the map they made, its all criminal, they made themselves look good, they lied to our faces, took the money and ran ran ran, they should be sued out of existence...

Reach does have one improvement, and that is armor customization.

True, but thats not really an issue, if bungie or 343i for that matter were to go and over haul all the weapons and equipment each game, I would call it an improvement, back when all this started bungie like most other game developers didnt have the technology to make the games as good as they could, they came up with basic concepts for weapons and equipment because thats all they could do at the time, now that they have the technology, I wouldnt mind one bit if they went and completely redid everything in the game.

My big concern which is the purpose of this article, is that the story remains the same always, the things that make up what halo is today and what it will be soon are completely bound in the history of the series, in fact 343i said that they are basing halo4 on the book I was talking about in the article, because it is the best culmination of material on who the Chief, John, is as a person, so keeping all of history intact and in context is the most important thing of all, I dont really care what happens with weapons and armor so long as its a step forward, namely more detail and options for the player to choose from to make the game experience more enjoyable...

• Like 1

I don't really care. I just by the game for the action, as well as the story, but imo they wanted to rewrite the story. They changed there minds. It was their game so let them do it as they please. There is no BIG problem. If 343 wants to change something in the story then let them as well. This is almost like calling 343 taking over halo is also bastardization. Not true. The game is meant to be improved on and changed if need be. Halo is no video game of the gods or anything. Its not perfect.

"So check your mouths, find your chairs... and get set for a combat drop."

I don't really care. I just by the game for the action, as well as the story, but imo they wanted to rewrite the story. They changed there minds. It was their game so let them do it as they please. There is no BIG problem. If 343 wants to change something in the story then let them as well. This is almost like calling 343 taking over halo is also bastardization. Not true. The game is meant to be improved on and changed if need be. Halo is no video game of the gods or anything. Its not perfect.

"So check your mouths, find your chairs... and get set for a combat drop."

And this is why what you think does not matter... By rewriting the battle of reach so utterly, they have effectively destroyed the series, do you understand how?

First of all, a good number of the books, of which the entire series are based are no invalid, the life and death of key characters is forever changed, like Sgt Johnson, his life and existence in the games depends completely on how the battle turned out, if you accept this game as the actual history, he never made it to halo in the first game, he was never there to help stop the second halo, and so on, he is erased from existence.

Everything is interrelated, the oldest IIIs as I said in the article which you clearly never read, are only as old as 27 but none of the first IIIs are alive anymore, the oldest ones still alive are 20 years old namely Tom and Lucy found in 'ghosts of onyx' and 'glasslands' if you allow Carter to be 32, Jun and Emile to be 28 and 29, they were hear before the program started, so how did they get the training and become IIIs? Never mind they use armor they cant wear because they dont have the same augmentations that the IIs did, so they go against the laws of physics as well.

The whole world is turned on its head and utterly burned down if this game is acceptable as history, we are not time travelers who can defy physics, either the series says as it always has been or you might as well say the Chief was never born and it would all generally be acceptable...

I say, if 343i is committed to the fans, maybe you should remake the game REACH? I was telling my friends from the first day I started the campaign that the armor was wrong, and that the Spartan III's were too old. Regarding this, there are fans who write articles over at the halo.wikia site who have done a marvelous job of integrating as many of Bungie's mistakes into the true storyline as possible, and they all deserve widespread recognition and thanks by all HALO fans who care about the story. Thank you halo.wikia. If you want to know what I'm talking about, look up the spartans of Noble Team, and it will explain how spartans as old as Carter managed to make their way into the REACH storyline, and it explains how their armor was advanced well beyond the Semi-Powered Infiltration suit. All of that work is very well done, and they explain it as things that happened in the storyline, but were simply not in the books, or were done outside of the timeframe covered by the books. Again I will say, excellently done, thank you very much.

Despite all that, however, is the issue of Pillar of Autumn. That part of the game is simply NOT CANON. Even on the wikia pages, where people have worked so hard to cover Bungie's mistakes, they simply have to resort to game>book when it comes to the storyline of Pillar of Autumn. I would like to see 343i rectify the mistakes of Bungie, if that is cost effective, and I would like to not see the same carelessness that Bungie put into it's final product. To 343i, if possible please change the mistakes made in REACH, and please do not ignore your fans like Bungie did. I understand that there are many people at 343i who were at Bungie. I hope you individuals moved to 343i because you love the series and you will treat it with all the care you can. Thank you again, 343i for picking up HALO when it was in a place where it could've fallen away. All of us are grateful, and cautiously hopeful that you will bring back the attention and passion to the story and game that Bungie forgot.

But really, yeah, the game REACH is invalid in respect to the story.

Roun Cole, chill the **** out! Halo was created well before the books. The books were an extension of the game that were created purely as a way for Bungie and Microsoft to capitalize on Halo once they bought Bungie and the rights. And the CREATORS specifically said, that the story layed out in-game will always trump any book cannon. Yes this is confusing, but how many people do you know, actually go in-game then pick up books while playing pointing out flaws? Obsessivve compulsive much?

Furthermore **** face, dont come in here insulting my fellow members telling them that their opinions dont count. Everyone who comes here has a right to express their opinion and who are you to tell them otherwise?

Games evolve and so does the hardware and software that powers it. Quit complaining that things look different from game to game, when quite obviouslt things are bound to change based on what can be added and taken away in-game. Epic space battles would have been nice, but do you have any idea of the memory overhead for that little spout? Do you know what rendering capabilities and limitations are in the 360 and the proprietary Blam! engine? No you don't, so go on about how you have a much better way to layout the gameplay.

But before I finish here, if I remember correctly, Glasslands contradicts your little Ghost of Onyx tidbit on the Spartan III's. In fact, Chief Mendez talks about Spartan III's being volunteers, not six year old children. No children were used in Spartan III program, which is why Halsey was super pissed and initially rejected them, because they wee not children that were genetically matched to being "perfect". She felt older or grown soldiers were too much a liability.

And if you wanna talk laws of physics, the the whole superhuman wearing tons of battle armor is irrelivant. No human can be enhanched to the point in which the muscle could exert the stength they describe in the books. Even if the armo was power assisted, where are you gonna cram that much assist mechanics into 4 inch armor? Oh thats right, it's Scy-Fy...my mistake.

• Like 3