Here's Why You Wont See Master Chief's Face In Halo 4

Archangel Tyrael

halo-4.jpg

You will not see Master Chief's face in upcoming FPS Halo 4. 343 Industries, the game's creator, says it is not ready yet for the biggest reveal in gaming since it turned out Samus was a woman.

"It's funny we don't then show his face," Frank O'Connor, Franchise Development Director for Halo, said. "But that's a device to keep the player invested in the character and keep the player from constantly being reminded that they're not a hero or that they have to be a boy or they have to be a girl, or whatever that is."

While casual players might think there's no way to know what Master Chief looks like, the hardcore have an idea. The Fall of Reach, a 2001 Halo-based novel written by Eric Nylund, provides a pretty in-depth description of the face underneath Chief's helmet. It's under the "Read More" tag.

Here's how Frank O'Connor described Master Chief's visage, in an interview with

Eurogamer.

"If you went down into that line and found a nerd with a deep canon Halo t-shirt and said describe the Master Chief to this police sketch artist, that police sketch artist would then produce a perfectly accurate rendering of an older man, almost painfully pale, almost albino white, with pale blue eyes, reddish hair, close cropped to a skin head, and maybe the last remnants of freckles he had when he was a kid."

The Sources opinion on this: "I don't want to see Master Chief's face. It would ruin the mystery, and if he's just a dude with red hair and pale skin, won't that be sort of a let-down?"

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

His face is scarred up, if you did the halo 3 mongoose glitch. But it'd be nice to know when halo is over. Do it at the end of the last halo, it'll be an awesome relief.

That's actually a multiplayer spartan...

I say if 343i want to show something maybe incorporate an early military picture of cheif when he was younger or something like that, maybe show someone going through his service record, but dont show his face!