Xbox One: Display Resolution Issues?

RedStarRocket91

Xbox-One-Policy-Changes.jpg

After an unveiling marred by controversy, Microsoft has done everything in their power to try and win gamers back to the struggling Xbox One by insisting that the upcoming platform will have the best games of the next generation. Concerns over apparently inferior hardware and the revelation that a significant amount of the system's memory would be reserved for use by the ever-divisive Kinect peripheral were dismissed with the promise that any games released on the console would look just as good as those found on the rival PlayStation 4.

However, in recent days both Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward and Battlefield developer Dice have confirmed that while the newest instalments of the incredibly popular franchises will natively render in full 1080p resolution on the PlayStation 4, the versions found on the Xbox One will only be capable of rendering at 720p. In layman's terms, this means that putting your favourite military shooter disc into a Microsoft console will leave you with less than half of the pixels to be found if you were to put its counterpart disc into a Sony machine. What were shrugged off as negligible deficiencies in hardware have apparently proved to be far less irrelevant than promised.

Does the lower resolution frustrate you enough to reconsider your next-gen purchase, or do you feel that there isn't enough difference between 720p and 1080p to get worked up about? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Wouldn't the choice to use 720p be that of the publisher and not necessarily the problem of the console? Like this doesn't mean a game can't use 1080p when on the One, it just means these games use 720p. A game that is designed for the One specifically could run at 1080p, where as the publishers in this case have decided not to. Like Halo 3 was released at 640p but then Halo 4 released at 720p. The resolution can be changed depending on the efficiency at which the console is used and the software. So no, I don't think this is a major problem.

I thought 343 Industries were working with Microsoft on games, instead of down grading the xbox one don't you think you should be working on Halo five, you make your game the best you can then we as gamers will decide how it looks and if you and the xbox did the job we expect. If not then maybe next gen consoles we buy something else. Up to now the only thing 343 industries has going for it is Halo.

What people don't understand is that the reason xbone devs are using 720 is because it frees up a lot more esram to use for other things such as physics engines and connectivity. Can a ps4 seamlessly switch between a game running at such a high res. to another application? Xbone can. Can a PS4 run multiple apps at once? Xbone can. So my point is that devs choose to sacrifice graphical assets in order to bring a better experience to the user.

Lets see... Xbox One has half the video processing power of the PS4 while trying to do more back end BS then the PS4. That is not how you make a gaming console...

If I were to purchase a next gen Gaming Console (yes GAMING CONSOLE), then PS4 would be the answer.

If I wanted a set top box that could do light to medium gaming, while running netfix and bing (or google) in the back ground I would build a ITX PC (so I wouldn't have to shell out for Xbox Live).

Is the Xbox One in my future... not a chance in hell.

The only thing Xbox and Xbox 360 had going for them were Bungie & Halo.

343 did a great job with Halo 4, no small feat there...

But it's not going to be enough to help out the Xbox One which is set to compete with a set top pc and charge extra for online service (which a set top pc does not).

Live is the dumbest thing since DLC that Microsoft has come up with... and so many people have been suckered into it....

Oh but it has the always on camera and mic so I can start the unit without a game pad or remote...uh no thanks...

Oh it allows me to use Skype with Live Gold... Uh get a pc and do worry about Live Gold!

Oh it has a couple of games that are not offered for anything else... yep and those Game Developers has castrated there income...

See GTA V, see it make a billion in sales on 2 consoles... you'll also see it make more sales when it goes on PC and PS4 (and probably xbox 1).... Thats how you make money.

As for next gen games... With both next gen consoles sporting 64bit AMD cpu's and ATI video cards I'ld say porting to the PC will be a hell of alot easier then it was with the PS3 and 360's PowerPc processors...

343 Don't sucker yourself into making only Xbox games, you'll actually loose revenue that way!!!

if there having problems with 1080p what they gona do when demand for 4k games is rife? xbox has really dissapointed me but i cant stand ps4 or 3 controllers feel like a cheaply made toy. this news is shocking really from the badasses who run the pc industry... really microsoft???

now I'm just guessing here but I think that the guy who wrote the article is a PS fan. XBONE runs at 720 upscaled to 1080, PS4 runs at 900p upscaled to 1080 none of the machines are capable of running a high graphic demanding game such as BF4 at 1080p that is a fact. the hardware will allow them to run the games in native 1080p but not at the so called 60 fps it would be at 30 or just a tad over.

even running at 720 and 900 they only just manage 60 fps. graphically there is very little difference between the 2 they both hit the same fps and slow down in the same places. I'm just glad I didn't get suckered in like all the other console gamers, i'll just stick to my PC running the game at ultra over 60fps than at medium to high at just on 60fps. Sony and M$ said they would do this and that before the release and on release only did less than half of what they said. same as the 360 and the PS3 this seems like a ritual for M$ and sony just to get people to buy their crappy consoles. don't get suckered next time save you money and buy a medium to high end PC cost more to shell out but you save in the long run.