Halo: Combat Evolved Muliplayer Servers Shutting Down

Adam91

med_gallery_12241_647_45391.jpg

Halo: Combat Evolved for the PC and many other games that are hosted by Gamespy are set to be shut down on May 31st. Gamespy issued an announcement on their site confirming that their online servers for all games that they host will soon cease to be in service.

"Effective May 31, 2014, GameSpy will cease providing all hosted services for all games still using GameSpy.

If you have any questions about how this impacts your favorite title please contact the game’s publisher for more information.

Thanks for a great ride! - See more"

This action gamespy has taken will effect hundreds of games and thousands of gamers who use their services as it will all come to an end next month.

After this news broke out many are hoping their Gamespy hosted games will then move to steam in the future.

What do you think about this news, does this effect your gaming life?

Do you play Halo: Combat Evolved on PC?

Source: Gamespy

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

can you guys please not shutdown halo. atleast put it on steam, with steamworks and ingame voice chat please stop gamespy from shuting down my favorite. i don't want to star wars bf2 to shut down either. 

To most people out there halo pc is just some **** 10 year old game that nobody plays. Apart from halo being my first FPS it my favorite FPS of all time. I find myself setting here think what game should i play "Battlefield 3" nope, "Call of Duty" nope, 'Minecraft" nope, "hal..." Yip. Over 5 years i have spend over 1000  hours on this game. I have learned how to make custom maps for the game and so much more. I hope it gets moved to steam or something like that

I regularly bought the game and played it for more than 5 years.
I suppose that if I buy a "full game" this will still "fully playable" at least long as the terms of copyright  (70 years), if not this rule will be broken (and we all know that these rights nowdays are often used to block many users in many ways, so we can't reclaim OUR rights now?) and at least to me seem right to give us back our money multiplicated for the hours we spent on it.
Insane proposal right? Too bad...

I don't see the reason to shut down GameSpy with all its old school games, they haven't stunning graphics, true, but they still have an unbelievable gameplay on which you can dream about it on limited new games, remember, you can create the game, but is the people who choose which game is better.
I hope you guys at 343 can feel our hearts throbbing for this amazing game, and let it us taste it over and over again PLEASE ;)

Everyone keep sign and sharing, I am sure there are more than +15k players that still don't know about what is happening:    https://www.change.org/petitions/steam-adopt-halo-combat-evolved-custom-edition-multiplayer#

Halo <3

I have played Halo: Combat Evolved on PC for 4 years and its the most addicting Halo I have ever played. If I can not play in public servers on Halo PC anymore my gaming hours will take a huge plunge, because I play it almost every day and It still is not boring to me to this day.  I will never forget this game as it is a masterpiece.  For the petition, it just shows how many people are still playing this wonderful game on PC to this day, even with is age. 

If the 343 does not save it, it will be a sad day to see all the multiplayer lobby down.  If it is ported over to steam or even given a new master server I would thank 343 for supporting the game that started it all and brought them any PC fans (many of whom ended up moving to Xbox for the newer Halo games). Unfortunately I will not put m hopes high because as I know Microsoft and 343 have said they will not make any more Halo games for PC (even though they recently did add one to steam), I am guessing that means they wont save any of the Halo games that are already on PC.  I am already disappointed though because its quite likely the will not save it. In the case they do save it, once again I sincerely thank them.

Such an iconic game that is played everyday by many players online. Will be a sad day if it went away. change.org/petitions/steam-adopt-halo-combat-evolved-custom-edition-multiplayer

Halo needs stay up. It is my favorite game and I have been playing for 7 years total. Halo trials, hce, and ce. Still play every day.

change.org/petitions/steam-adopt-halo-combat-evolved-custom-edition-multiplayer

I remember when we used to sneak a portable version of Halo CE onto our high school's shared network drive - we would have class-wide LAN parties.

It's probably for the best that gamespy and halo die out. I'm not sure if it'll really be worth the effort to adopt steamworks integration in a game that was released in 2005, and more to the point the majority of halo players nowadays are, curiously enough, Brazilians playing a pirated/cracked copy of halo 1.61.

That said, I'm definitely going to find my halo 1 disc and play a few rounds of race and CTF before May 31...