Future Halos No Longer Considered "Trilogy"

Choot 'em

The Future of Halo will no longer considered a "trilogy" but rather a "Saga".

According to an article released last week, future titles will no longer be numbered like previous titles.

:shock:

According to

Forbes contributor Paul_Tassi ....

Last week, before Microsoft pulled a 180 on their DRM and internet policies, I remarked that because the Xbox One was in a rather rough spot, it was going to have to rely on Halo as a system seller now more than ever.

The playing field has been leveled a bit since then with the death of license-based disc games and internet check-in, but it’s a statement that still holds true. Microsoft seems to agree.

That’s why it’s been announced that 343′s Reclaimer Trilogy, which was meant to be Halos 4, 5 and 6, has now transformed into something Microsoft is now calling a Halo “saga.”

halo-52.jpg

This idea sprung to life when they were pressed about what exactly the Halo title was that was shown at E3, as it didn’t have a number or even a subtitle. Would it be an add-on type game like ODST, or another full Halo game like the numbered installments?

The answer is the latter, though whether it will be called Halo 5 isn’t clear and might be beside the point now anyway.

With that news, Phil Spencer spoke to Gamespot about the new plan for upcoming Halo games:

“While we originally said trilogy, we’ve actually expanded this to more of a saga, so we don’t want to limit the Reclaimer story within a trilogy.”

What this potentially might mean is that Microsoft wants to bump up the frequency of Halo titles. I don’t think it would be physically possible to turn it into a yearly Call of Duty style release with only 343 working on it, nor do I think that would be good for the series. But we might see a higher occurrence of the games all the same.

When all the DRM/always-on drama was going down, I posed a question to Xbox loyalists/Halo enthusiasts about whether or not the games exclusivity on the one would make them buy a system. The response was an overwhelming no. Partly because Microsoft’s policies were too intrusive to stomach, but a fair amount said that Halo just didn’t have the same draw that it used to have after six shooter titles. Many were more excited about Destiny or Titanfall, new IPs from trusted studios, including Halo’s former masters, Bungie.

That said, Halo is still a powerful franchise for Microsoft to wield, and by “unrestricting” themselves from a trilogy, it’s clear they have big plans for the series.

So there you have it! Future Halos will no longer be numbered with new titles planning to be released

more frequently. Also note the response to the "exclusivity on the One would make them buy a system"... "response

was an overwhelming NO."

What does this mean for the franchise that alot of gamers deemed the "best first person shooter"??

Guess we will have to wait and see what Microsoft and 343Industries have planned.

:thumbsup:

Image and content courtesy of

Forbes.com.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I'm glad to hear them extend the amount of Halo titles, from a trilogy to a saga. From only 3 mainline Halo video games, to who knows how many. I'm upset to hear you say however, that we might be seeing a more frequent release of Halo titles. I'm really hoping you are wrong here because if Microsoft wants to reel in the buyers, then they need to spend MORE time fine-tuning Halo. NOT trying to compete with cod or release Halo titles sooner.

I rather wait a few years for a good, solid quality Halo video game, then to get a crappy Halo title every (other) year.

all i want are more forge capabilities and a broader range of game-type customization. i want a return of something around the lines of a mini-game option in matchmaking playlist. as i recall they had something like that in halo 3...

other than that i have never had problems with matchmaking maybe because im better than 99% of the people on it

just dont spam cod halo clones!

i agree with all comments here i stopped playing the game i loved it changed too much and not in a good way the game was perfect and only thought it would get better roll on destiny only letdown of destiny is its got activision as its partner so you know its gona have the esscence of cod yawwwwwwwwn. i just hope the next halos are good but i also feel halo is dying i hope im not wrong. best days of my life where halo 3 ultimate game with the best social element on any platform, had such a friendly and addictive interface you just wanted that 50 soo bad kinda brough people together. suppose ill always have those memories.

I think 343 NEEDS TO STOP TRYING TO MAKE A COD STYLE HALO!!! there is a reason why halo 3 adn 2 did soo well it was such rush and fun to try and get 50 and the supper weapon wasnt that bad compared to 4. bungie messed up on reach hardcore.why try to make something great better? u fail 343

I just want the new Halo to hold what Halo:CE, Halo 2, and Halo 3 had. I'm tired of this armor ability crap, the ordinance drops, and the most annoying thing is that in H4 the weapon spawns are shown on the map. Basically 343 is destroying the skill level of players needing to have in order to do well in matchmaking. The loadout system is pretty neat, although I do think the armor abilities should be removed as well as the packages and upgrades.

I actually want to see a Halo game that ditches the two weapon limit, allowing players to carry EVERYTHING! Also bring the shield/health system from ODST, would ya?