Frank O'Connor Speaks Out About Leaks

VinWarrior

343 Industries' own Frank O'Connor, who's been with the team since it's start, has spoken out about leaks regarding games and their faults.

Halo is a series well known by a large number of supposed leaks before a Halo game's launch, often revealing key points that would have otherwise been a surprise. Frank O'Connor, Halo's development director, took to NeoGaf.com to speak about leaks and the drastic problems they cause for developers, likely referring to the large number of recent Xbox related leaks and Halo leaks, but speaking about the Industry in general. He said, "Ultimately he [the leaker] is taking or being given information and leaking it, illegally and often erroneously. And he isn't doing it for some noble or worthy reason. He's doing it for attention." He also referred to it's proclamation as a prophecy, saying that it's "just annoying" and not assisting or helpful in any outcome to the developer or player. Frankie also discussed the overall dissatisfaction and worthlessness of leaking, even mentioning termination of employees for such issues, "It's not fun, and for what? So you can have a mildly interesting surprise 8 hours early and lacking context? Or get hyped or disappointed disproportionately? Or get someone fired or someone innocent yelled at?" This could hint at some of the previous Anniversary or Master Chief Collection rumors being completely true, or the opposite as the leaks could cause false hype.

View attachment: 1halo5.jpg

Do you think this is a ret-con or hint at some previous Halo rumors to go out publicly and make a full speech about leaking? Let me know below, thanks for the read!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I'd rather have leakers than no leakers.

Why?

Not all leaks are internal, some bash the pipe from outside, as long as they aren't doing daring data heists constantly, I'd rather have leaks :c

Intented Leaks

We can be sure that sometimes leaks are intended. In a lot of occasions, people take these leaks, intended or not, more seriously than an official announcement.

Plus, beacuse these leaks occur certain time before an official announcement, this gives enough time for the notice to spread across the gaming media, community, etc.

Passed certain amount of time, followers tend to get bored, frustrated and they feel forgotten. When that happens, gamers just keep on moving forward and forget about what they were waiting for. This amount of time is considerably less than that supossed by the industry. This erroneous assumption, drives developers to throw a scatter of information every now and then. And if they wait too much (as usually happens), projects like this start to lose followers. That's not good at all in any scenario.

Knowing this, we can assume that leaks, in the appropriate amount, feed players well enough to maintain them as followers. At least while developers decide to throw a sign of life. Even when they can "ruin the surprise", these leaks are undubtedly necessary. We can be sure that developers know this and, in a lot of cases, they promote it.

Thank you for reading and I apologize for any writing mistake. This is not my native tongue.