EA to scrap online passes

Adam91

onlinepass.jpg

EA has confirmed that they will be scrapping online passes for all of their future titles due to negative feedback, so those who usually buy preowned games will not have to fork out extra cash in order to access their online features.

This article is from

GamingBolt

The passes, which require a one-time activation to access online content, have been scrapped due to negative user feedback, according to EA senior director of corporate communications John Reseburg.

"Yes we're discontinuing Online Pass," Reseburg told

GamesBeat. "None of our new titles will include that feature."

The passes have been controversial due to their restricting access to content for second-hand buyers.

Once an Online Pass has been used, the second-hand user is required to purchase another pass before accessing the relevant content, which is usually the title's multiplayer features.

But no longer. "Initially launched as an effort to package a full menu of online content and services, many players didn't respond to the format," Reseburg continued. "We've listened to the feedback and decided to do away with it moving forward."

"We're still committed to creating content and services that enhance the game experience well beyond the day you first start playing."

EA titles that have implemented the Online Pass include Battlefield 3 and SSX. Ubisoft and Sony have also used Online Passes for titles including Far Cry 3 and Starhawk.

It was announced last month that EA's forthcoming shooter Fuse will not require an Online Pass to access multiplayer features.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Its about time. This has been the reason that I havent bought a EA Game in a long while, as i have two consoles in my house and refused to have to double pay to play on them.