Destiny Ships 500 Million Dollars Worth of Copies

VinWarrior

Bungie and Activision's newly released smash hit IP Destiny has now garnered over 500 million dollars in game sales being shipped to stores, meaning Activision has now broken even on marketing costs.

If you haven't heard someone mention Destiny, whether you've got your mind wrapped around what exactly the game is or not, you've either been living under a rock or have forgotten someone mention it, which is highly unlikely since it's been talked about nonstop. Polygon.com reports that all that talk really did work out in the end for Activision and Bungie as the game has earned over half a billion US dollars in worldwide shipping to retail stores on the game alone. This massive earning makes Destiny the biggest new game franchise launch title in history, surpassing anything before it in terms of hype. However, just because the game has been shipped to stores doesn't mean all those copies sold, but it is a good estimate as it shows the expectations companies had for the game. Activision has yet to release actual sales on the game itself, but estimate it to be quite high, possibly even beating last year's colossal Grand Theft Auto V launch. Bobby Kotick, Activision Blizzard CEO, had this to say, "This industry milestone marks another blockbuster success for our company and demonstrates our unique ability to create some of the most successful entertainment franchises in the world. The success of Destiny, along with the recent introduction of Blizzard Entertainment's Hearthstone, is further validation of our unique capabilities to create great entertainment franchises from the ground up."

View attachment: 2309259-destiny_xone.jpg

So have you picked up your copy of Destiny just yet, what are your first impressions if you have? Tell me in the thread below! Thank you so much for reading this article!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hi,

I like the graphics and the physics of the game. The landscape is vast, open and simply beautiful. The enimies look a little strange and need a little getting used to. The multiplayer is disapointing to me, I don't like the leveling system at all. To me it seems I would need to live my life in the game to able to compete. Bungie tried something new, and I don't see the hype lasting at all. As soon as the Masterchief Collection hits the market, Destiny will be collecting dust on the shelf. Too bad!