Bungie Fires Marty O'Donnell?

Adam91

Yesterday Marty O'Donnell the composer and audio director at Bungie made a post on his twitter account announcing that he has been fired from the company.

image.png

He states that his duties at Bungie had been terminated without cause on April 11th. No reason has yet been announced why he had to step down from his roles and departured from Bungie.

Although something about this does seem suspicious, could this be a late April fools joke? Marty O'Donnell is a veteran employee at Bungie and has created a huge fan base due to his music for the Halo series. If this is indeed true and not a sick and twisted prank then this will no doubt come as a blow to many in the Bungie community especially with their new series Destiny is in the works.

What do you think about this news? Do you think it may be a prank or is this the end of Marty at Bungie?

Source: Twitter

UPDATE

Bungie has not yet commented directly on the matter or if they even but they have left a farewell message to Marty O'Donnell on the news page of their site.

The messages reads; "For more than a decade, Marty O’Donnell filled our worlds with unforgettable sounds and soundtracks, and left an indelible mark on our fans. Today, as friends, we say goodbye. We know that wherever his journey takes him, he will always have a bright and hopeful future.

We wish him luck in all his future endeavors."

That is all Bungie has officially commented on the matter but according to a reddit user claiming to be a Bungie employee he or she says that the reason for the termination of Marty's position at Bungie was a dispute over pay.

"Okay. So I can't give out too much detail here, but I will let you know what I know. Marty was a contracted employee, he didn't just get a fee for each game he produced. Marty had received a significant raise in the last few years, but was now asking for another. This created tension between him and the board (some of whom already felt he was overpaid). A verbal argument ensued recently between Marty and a member of the board. Shortly there after he was let go. So there was certainly 'cause' but one that a lot of us felt could be worked through. But money talks. The board feels they can get someone for cheaper, and without the drama, that will have a better ROI."

I highly doubt this person is genuine, the thread this anonymous source created on reddit has been deleted for failing to privately identify his or herself to the moderators after claiming he or she would do so. I wouldn't advise anyone to believe this and be wary of any other statements that may arise .

Here is a link to the reddit thread just to show it has been removed.

http://343i.org/1rz

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Well by the looks of it since it was done on April 11th and not the 1st of April then it's probably not an April fools joke however if Bungie also officially confirms it then it may not be a joke. Maybe they had to fire O'Donnell for legitimate reasons like the developers perhaps wanted  a new employee or new music and audio for the next upcoming Halo games.

However I would stand your ground on this because it could be  a joke  but keep researching if that is the case that he has been officially fired or not.

Bungie did officially confirm it. This article needs more information. Besides, a late April Fools joke would make no sense, and the date doesn't even correspond with Bungie's favorite number, 7. This is enough to show that it is serious. Bungie said that they fired Marty O'Donnel on good terms, and that they wish him the best of luck. These words are meaningless, but they serve a contradiction to what Marty tweeted. People have conjectured that he was fired due to a (Time Magazine) proffessional or personal blunder, or a creative disagreement. This is shocking, but imagine all the job offers he's received already. Don't you think it would be cool for Neil Davidge and Marty O'Donnel to work together, like they did with Never Forget(Midnight Version)?

Bungie did officially confirm it. This article needs more information.

Don't you think it would be cool for Neil Davidge and Marty O'Donnel to work together, like they did with Never Forget(Midnight Version)?

There was nothing more I could have posted on it since a tweet was basically all there was to post about at the time.

Marty didn't work with Neil on that track, Neil just made his own version of it.

There was nothing more I could have posted on it since a tweet was basically all there was to post about at the time.

Marty didn't work with Neil on that track, Neil just made his own version of it.

Understood. Well, obviously you know more than me. I won't doubt you from now on. ;)

343 please hire O'Donnell because the music on Halo 4 was the biggest disappointment of that game bring him on and get the real feel of Halo back please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's worth the money, his music is legendary in the xbox community. Idk about you guys, but the only game I really bothered playing on the original xbox was halo 2. That music at the beginning sends chills up my spine. Some of his music plays in my head when I am on a mission and feeling goofy. I am sad to see him leave, as I have a great confidence that Bungie games will always be something to really look forward to. I saw his music will still be in Destiny, but still... 

HIRE HIM FOR SURE! I've loved Halo since I was a kid and have all the Halo soundtracks, I mean who wouldn't. I even bought a violin so I could play with the music. It is so good. The Halo 2 soundtrack is personally the best soundtrack that he made because it gives me peace and calmness that no other music has done!