106 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you like to see in Halo 4

• Firefight
    • Spartan Ops
    • Both
    • Don't Care

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed.

Spartan Ops does need to be MUCH harder and longer though. Very lackluster in its current format.

Try solo-heroic. You get to fight 2-3 generals at a time with dozens of elites and several fuelrod guns and swords, and have them rush you... all the time. And that's not to mention the wraiths and promethean knights that chase you down.

Spartan ops is not the future... Why wouldn't spartans practice on waves of increasingly difficult enemies? They could do the fight into onyx from the book! There all of those cool locations from the books that they could bring to life. It would fit the fiction to! Spartan ops was just a lie they said it would be comparable to the campaign but it's not even close!

• 2 weeks later...

Firefight was pretty boring and got old quick. Spartan Ops gave you a little more to do but it unfortunately suffers the same repetitive-ness that Firefight also has. Spartan Ops doesn't do anything really different. Ultimately, youre doing the same things over and over in each mission. But I'd gladly take Spartan Ops over Firefight since, like I said, there's more to do and doesn't feel like too much o a chore to do.

As I posted in another thread, my main grievance with Spartan Ops is the lack of matchmaking for older Episodes. It's actually putting me off buying the game now, as I feel somewhat cheated out of a featured content I cannot really enjoy unless I find and organize friends to play with.

The reason given for this measure (to consolidate the player base) is deeply flawed, as limiting the matchmaking to the current episode only is quite likely the real cause of the low player numbers. If you can only play one level there's no reason to stick around now, is there? A lot of people will play in the first two days, but then the lack of options/missions/episodes will have them leave. People that have dedicated friends won't even play in open matchmaking anyway, so the only thing the limited matchmaking does is give Spartan Ops the feel of a weekly TV-Show: Once you've seen it there's no reason to keep the TV on until next week.

While Spartan Ops might very well be superior to Firefight in every aspect, I simply will not support a co-operative game mode that tells me "unless you have friends to play with, the only thing you can play this week is this". I mean, what does 343 expect? People to keep playing the exact same thing over and over and over? Firefight might have been small and simplistic and lacking a story, but you could play different levels with different scenarios/restrictions/weapons etc ANYTIME you wanted.

I'm sorry, but without open matchmaking for every episode, Spartan Ops will remain a "two-day, weekly" event with no real replay value - something that penalizes New-Comers for not buying the game on release - and it will die as soon as the episodes run out. It's pretty much already dead each week after the intitial surge of players is through with the current episode, if posts and player numbers here and on waypoint are to be believed. Opening up the matchmaking will give people more reason to go there, but even then the linear progession and lack of customization options are quite the dampener on longevity.

While it may be a grand project and well executed, the lack of availability and accessibility of open matchmaking, the lack of customization options, and the lack of variety makes it a very poor substitute for Firefight.

In short, I'll take the fun and frantic engagements that I can play anytime on different maps with random people over one great story-driven "campaign" each week anytime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...