Questionnaire/Survey - Does Playing Video Games Cause Aggression?

Lazmarr

Only post in this thread if you are going to answer the survey.

This is serious, so answer the questions properly.

If you would like to contribute but do not want others to see your answer, please pm me with your answer.

Post your answers either in the style that The Director or Choot 'em have.

This is a survey used to collect data for my research project that I am conducting for my psychology module in college. It will take about 5-10 minutes of your time.

Your response and your identity will be kept confidential and the information, that I obtain, will not be shared with anybody else. The data collected will be used for academic purposes only.

Your response to this survey is valuable and will be appreciated, so please answer truthfully to all questions. No other information is required unless stated otherwise.

Thank you very much for your participation.

Should you have any questions regarding this survey, please contact me via pm at any time.

Many thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 1. Please answer the following questions in your own opinion and truthfully.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What genre of game are you most likely to buy? List from highest to lowest.

1. Shooter 2. Action 3. RPG 4. Action-Adventure 5. Adventure 6. Strategy 7. Simulation

Does the violence in a game affect your decision to buy a game?

1. Very Unimportant 2. Unimportant 3. Neutral 4. Important 5. Very Important

After playing a video game, would it be easier for you to commit a violent act?

1. Strongly Disagree 2. Disagree 3. Neutral 4. Agree 5. Strongly Agree

After playing a video game, do you feel it would be easier for you to become more aggressive?

Does the violence in a game affect your decision to play a game? (Do you prefer to play violent games to non-violent games)

The violence that is prevalent in our society is due to violent video games?

When you are angry or stressed what genre of video game are you most likely to play?

1. Shooter 2. Action 3. RPG 4. Action-Adventure 5. Adventure 6. Strategy 7. Simulation

'Minors (below the age of 18) should not be allowed to play violent video games' Do you agree?

Do you think you are born with violence?

OR

Do you think that you develop violence during your lifetime?

If you disagree with the above, please state your opinion and why.

In your opinion;

Do you feel that playing violent video games develops permanent violent behaviour over time?

OR

Do you feel it brings out violence that is being suppressed temporarily?

'Violence is part of our life. Not only does it appear in video games but it appears everywhere in our society.'

Do you agree with the above statement?

Do you agree that if we were to remove violent video games from our society, that it would make people less aggressive and make life more peaceful?

Section 2. Please tell me about yourself.

What is your Age:

What is your Gender:

What is your Occupation:

What is your Education Level:

End of Questionnaire/Survey

Shooter, RPG, Action, Action-Adventure, Strategy, Adventure, Simulation

Unimportant.

Strongly disagree

After playing a video game, do you feel it would be easier for you to become more aggressive?

Disagree.

Does the violence in a game affect your decision to play a game? (Do you prefer to play violent games to non-violent games)

Unimportant.

Strongly disagree. Video games are a different reality toreal life. People have personal reasons that make them angry, like someones family could be hard on a person,and they would turn out angry. Not caused games.

When you are angry or stressed what genre of video game are you most likely to play?

When angry; i don't play, simple as that. If iwas taken captive and forced to play. I'll still play Halo.

'Minors (below the age of 18) should not be allowed to play violent video games' Do you agree?

STRONGLY DISAGREE. That means i cant play, and it's parents who shoukd decide things for their children.

OR

Violence is nature or nuture, i say nuture. You develope it over life situations and experiences.

In your opinion;

Do you feel that playing violent video games develops permanent violent behaviour over time?

OR

Games don't bring out violence, it's other factors that cause that. It's stupid to blame games on peoples troubles.

'Violence is part of our life. Not only does it appear in video games but it appears everywhere in our society.'

Agree.

Do you agree that if we were to remove violent video games from our society, that it would make people less aggressive and make life more peaceful?

Strongly disagree. It wouldn't change a thing, as I said, other factors cause it, if anything, it would get worse for a while, the uproar for the games getting banned.

What is your Age: 16

What is your Gender: Male

What is your Occupation: Work at café

What is your Education Level: In senior school.

Section 1. Please answer the following questions in your own opinion and truthfully.

RPG, Shooter, Action, Action-Adventure, Adventure, Strategy, Simulation.

Important.

Strongly Disagree.

Strongly Disagree.

Important. (Also, isn't this question a bit redundant?)

Strongly Disagree.

RPG

Neutral

OR

Everyone is born with certain instincts. These instincts evolve as we age. Violence is simply one of these instincts that may get more or less prevalent as we age.

In your opinion;

OR

I don't believe video games bring out violence at all. People who rage at video games are just as likely to rage at slow traffic or other frustrating things.

Strongly Agree

Strongly Disagree.

What is your Age:

What is your Gender:

Male

What is your Occupation:

Unemployed

High School Graduate, but we all know that I'm a bit more intelligent than that implies ;)

RPG, Shooter, Action, Action-Adventure, Strategy, Adventure, Simulation

Unimportant.

Disagree.

Disagree.

Unimportant.

Strongly disagree. It is prevalent due to lack of discipline and lack of respect to adults and authority figures.

When angry or stressed, I don't play at all.

Neutral. Rule in my house...no M rated games until age 14.

OR

Violence is developed. How much it is developed depends on surrounding circumstances.

In your opinion;

OR

I do not agree with either statement. Again, violent behavior roots to lack of discipline and surrounding circumstances.

Agree.

Disagree. You cannot solve violence in society by ONLY removing violent video games.

What is your Age: 37

What is your Occupation: Self-employed

What is your Education Level: High school graduate

Hope this helps with your academic research project Lazmarr!! :thumbsup:

Only post in this thread if you are going to answer the survey.

This is a survey used to collect data for my research project that I am conducting for my psychology module in college. It will take about 5-10 minutes of your time.

Your response and your identity will be kept confidential and the information, that I obtain, will not be shared with anybody else. The data collected will be used for academic purposes only.

Your response to this survey is valuable and will be appreciated, so please answer truthfully to all questions. No other information is required unless stated otherwise.

Thank you very much for your participation.

Should you have any questions regarding this survey, please contact me via pm at any time.

Many thanks.

1. Shooter 2. RPG 3. Action 4. Action-Adventure 5. Adventure 6. Strategy 7. Simulation

Important

Strongly Disagree

Strongly Disagree

Important

Strongly Disagree

Shooter

Strongly Disagree

OR

If you disagree with the above, please state your opinion and why

All people are born with the ability to be violent. This doesn't mean that they will be violent, though.

In your opinion;

OR

If you disagree with the above, please state your opinion and why

People who get angry about video games are either having a bad day or are just angry people.

Agree

Strongly Disagree

What is your Age: 13 years old

What is your Occupation: School

What is your Education Level: 7th grade, but I did pretty well on some high school level tests.

1. Shooter

2. Strategy

3. RPG

4. Action

5. Adventure

6. Action-Advenutre

7. Simulation

1 being highest, 7 being lowest

Neutral

Neutral

Neutral

Unimportant

Strongly Disagree

Shooter

Strongly Disagree

OR

Developed during lifetime

In your opinion;

OR

Brings out violence that is suppressed temporarily

Agree

Disagree

What is your Age: 17

What is your Occupation: I'm holding on to it for a friend

What is your Education Level: High School Student

RPG, Shooter, Action, Action-Adventure, Strategy, Adventure, Simulation

Unimportant.

Disagree.

Disagree.

Unimportant.

Strongly disagree. Violence is not due to violent video games. Most violence comes from family and life struggles.

When angry or stressed, I tend to stay away from FPS games because I end of doing terrible. I usually play an RPG.

I feel if their mature enough to handle it, it wont do any harm. I was playing Medal of Honor when I was 6 and I'm not violent.

OR

Violence is developed.

In your opinion;

OR

Its only temporary.

Agree.

Disagree. You may be able to solve a small... VERY small percentage of violence.

What is your Age: 17

What is your Occupation: GameStop

What is your Education Level: High School Student

shooter, action, action-adventure, adventure, strategy, rpg, simulation

important

strongly disagree

Neutral

Very Important

Strongly Disagree

Shooter

Neutral

I think that you are born with violence.

In your opinion;

Do you feel that playing violent video games develops permanent violent behaviour over time? (no)

OR

Do you feel it brings out violence that is being suppressed temporarily? (no)

I view it as a stress relief used to quell any thoughts of violence one might have. For example if your feeling angry instead of punching someone you could go smack a bunch of aliens around on Halo.

Strongly Agree

Strongly Disagree

What is your Occupation: Student

What is your Education Level: None yet :)

1.What genre of game are you most likely to buy? List from highest to lowest. : Shooter

2.Does the violence in a game affect your decision to buy a game? : Neutral

3.After playing a video game, would it be easier for you to commit a violent act? : Strongly Disagree

4.After playing a video game, do you feel it would be easier for you to become more aggressive? : Strongly Disagree

5.Does the violence in a game affect your decision to play a game? (Do you prefer to play violent games to non-violent games) : Neutral

6.The violence that is prevalent in our society is due to violent video games? : Neutral

7.When you are angry or stressed what genre of video game are you most likely to play? : Shooter

8.'Minors (below the age of 18) should not be allowed to play violent video games' Do you agree? : Neutral

9.Do you think you are born with violence? yes.

OR

Do you think that you develop violence during your lifetime? no.

10.In your opinion;

Do you feel that playing violent video games develops permanent violent behaviour over time? no.

OR

Do you feel it brings out violence that is being suppressed temporarily? yes.

11.'Violence is part of our life. Not only does it appear in video games but it appears everywhere in our society.'

Do you agree with the above statement? : Strongly Agree

12.Do you agree that if we were to remove violent video games from our society, that it would make people less aggressive and make life more peaceful? : Strongly Disagree

What is your Age: 15

What is your Occupation: To young to have a job.

What is your Education Level: High School

1. Shooter 2. Action 3. Action-Adventure 4. Adventure 5. Strategy 6. RGB 7. Simulation

1. Very Unimportant

1. Strongly Disagree

1. Strongly Disagree no more than a football fan!

1. Very Unimportant I like games for many different reasons...

1. Strongly Disagree Weve had violence yet to be stop since the cave days...it's sadly in our nature to fight

2. Action Its a great stress release better than punching a wall >)

1. Disagree kids are violant look how much they watch wrestling and action movies

OR

sadly when were born

In your opinion;

OR

NO!

1. Strongly Agree

1. Strongly Disagree only if every person was willing to be less violent "themselves" then it wouldn't matter what anyone else did

What is your Age:

What is your Gender:

male

What is your Occupation:

pet grooming

Keiser University AA in Computer Graphics & Design

1.RPG 2. Shooter 3.Action 4. Action-Adventure 5. Adventure 6. Strategy 7. Simulation

Important

Strongly Disagree

Strongly Disagree

Important

Strongly Disagree

RPG

Neutral

OR

We are born with violence, it just doesnt always show itself

In your opinion;

OR

Neither, there might be some cases where these things happen but i think for the majority these are false

Agree

Strongly Disagree

What is your Age:

What is your Gender:

Male

What is your Occupation:

Unemployed

What is your Education Level: High School graduate with some college

1. Shooter 2. Action 3. RPG 4. Action-Adventure 5. Strategy 6.Adventure 7. Simulation

4. Important

1. Strongly Disagree

3. Neutral

2. Unimportant

2. Disagree

1. Shooter 4. Action-Adventure

4. Agree

OR

I believe that as we grow older we are exposed to more, not necessarily in video games. We get exposed to the real world and we become more aware of what is in it.

In your opinion;

OR

I think that it brings out emotions that are being suppressed... not always violence.

4. Agree

1. Strongly Disagree

What is your Age:

What is your Gender:

Male

What is your Occupation:

Student

First Year College Student

Hope that works.

Shooter, Strategy, RPG, Simulation, Action, Action-Adventure, Adventure

Not really

No

nope

Not really

It might be partially, but not completely, what about all the violence that was present before video games were made?

I don't usually play when I'm angry, but Strategy for some reason.

I played my first rated M game at 10 (Halo 2) and owned at 12 (Halo 3), to me it kinda depends, cause my parents would have never let me have played Gears of War at 12, but I say around the age of 14.

OR

Both, I believe we have a natural sense of violence and that's the need to survive, people will do anything to survive, but also your environmental will affect you a lot in different possible ways. It's Nature and Nurture.

In your opinion;

OR

Temporary, If it was permanent, we'll all be screwed.

Yes.

Maybe a bit, but not exactly a noticeable change.

What is your Age: 15

What is your Education Level: Attending High school

RPG

Shooter

Adventure

Action

Action-Adventure

Strategy

Simulation

2. Unimportant

1. Strongly Disagree

Disagree

2. Unimportant

2. Disagree

3. RPG

1. Strongly Disagree

OR

You develop a lot of things over a lifetime, violence can be one of these things. I hardly see games contributing to this much though.

In your opinion;

Do you feel that playing violent video games develops permanent violent behavior over time?

OR

Depends on the person playing. The game itself isn't likely to cause aggro.

5. Strongly Agree

1. Strongly Disagree

What is your Education Level: College

1. Shooter 2. RPG 3. Action 4. Action Adventure 5. Strategy 6. Adventure 7. Simulation

3. Neutral

1. Stronly Disagree

1. Strongly Disagree

1. Very Unimportant

1. Strongly Disagree

RPG or Strategy

3. Neutral

OR

Violence is a born trait, and it is part of being human. We are naturally a violent species, but the tendency for an individual to be violent is determined by that individuals actions. A person can develop more violent tendencies as they age, but the opposite can happen as well and they can instead become a more peaceful, less violent person. In essence, I agree with both of the above statements, but they aren't the only options.

In your opinion;

OR

I completely disagree with with both of these. Violent behavior and tendencies are shown throughout society, with war, movies, even the news. You cover this in Question 11. If Video Games are to "blame" for this, then so are these other things. No, in my opinion a violent person is going to be violent regardless of whether they play video games or not. Look at Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, and a multitude of others as examples of this.

5. Strongly Agree

1. Strongly Disagree

What is your Age: 27

What is your Occupation: Piping Designer

What is your Education Level: Tech School

Shooter

Neutral

Strongly Disagree

Disagree

6.Unimportant

Disagree

Shooter

Disagree

OR

I think vilolence comes with your actions that you choose to take

In your opinion;

OR

I think violent video games dont give you violent behavior

Neutral

Strongly Disagree

What is your Age:18

What is your Gender:Male

What is your Occupation: Not Sure???

What is your Education Level:High School Graduate

Shooter, RPG, Action, Action-Adventure, Simulation, Adventure, and Strategy.

Unimportant

Neutral

Agree

Unimportant

Disagree

Shooter

Disagree

OR

I think you are both. You are born with violence, but as you grow up, you learn more about violence, how to use it, more ways to use it, but you also learn when it is appropriate to strike or harm somebody.

In your opinion;

OR

I believe the first one is true. It is actually proven that a soldier who has played video games such as Call of Duty or Halo is more will to pull the trigger on the enemy than one who hasn't, due to the way the games portray the senseless killing as a good thing.

Disagree

Agree

What is your Age:

What is your Gender:

Male

What is your Occupation:

Student/ Student Athlete

7th grade, but considering some of the classes I am taking, I'd almost say 9th.

1. What genre of game are you most likely to buy? List from highest to lowest.

RPG, Shooter, Strategy, Simulation, Action-Adventure, Action, Adventure,

2. Does the violence in a game affect your decision to buy a game?

Very Unimportant

3. After playing a video game, would it be easier for you to commit a violent act?

Neutral (While I wouldn't be more likely to do so, I also wouldn't be any more discouraged than usual)

4. After playing a video game, do you feel it would be easier for you to become more aggressive?

Neutral (While I wouldn't be more likely to do so, I also wouldn't be any more discouraged than usual)

5. Does the violence in a game affect your decision to play a game? (Do you prefer to play violent games to non-violent games)

Unimportant (Violence by itself doesn't factor into my tastes, it's the context which matters)

6. The violence that is prevalent in our society is due to violent video games?

Strongly Disagree

7. When you are angry or stressed what genre of video game are you most likely to play?

Simulation

8. 'Minors (below the age of 18) should not be allowed to play violent video games' Do you agree?

Disagree (I think it should be left to individual parental discretion. A blanket age limit would not take account of individual traits and would be essentially unenforceable)

9. If you disagree with the above, please state your opinion and why.

I think it's a hybrid of the two. Some people can be predisposed towards violent attitudes or actions, but I believe it's definitely possible for personal aggression levels to be affected by environmental and social factors over the course of a lifetime, in both a positive and negative manner. I hold this view due to the changing attitudes of my peers.

10. If you disagree with the above, please state your opinion and why.

I believe that playing violent games, provided they are played in a healthy state of mind, are an outlet for pent-up aggression rather than inducing it altogether. However, I also believe that playing violent video games while in an unhealthy state of mind or a bad mood can increase aggressive behaviours and attitudes. Ultimately, the effect is down to the mindset of the individual player rather than intrinsic effects of the game.

11. 'Violence is part of our life. Not only does it appear in video games but it appears everywhere in our society.'

Agree

12. Do you agree that if we were to remove violent video games from our society, that it would make people less aggressive and make life more peaceful?

Disagree (I believe it would actually make things worse - look how much football riots in England have decreased since video games became popular, for example)

1. What is your Age:

20 years

2. What is your Gender:

Male

3. What is your Occupation:

Student

4. What is your Education Level:

Undergraduate

Good luck, I hope this helps and that your study goes well!

1.What genre of game are you most likely to buy? List from highest to lowest.

1. Shooter

2 .Action-Adventure

3. Action

4. RPG

5. Adventure

6. Strategy

7. Simulation

2. Does the violence in a game affect your decision to buy a game?

Important

3. After playing a video game, would it be easier for you to commit a violent act?

Disagree

4. After playing a video game, do you feel it would be easier for you to become more aggressive?

Agree

5. Does the violence in a game affect your decision to play a game? (Do you prefer to play violent games to non-violent games)

Important

6. The violence that is prevalent in our society is due to violent video games?

Strongly Disagree

7. When you are angry or stressed what genre of video game are you most likely to play?

Shooter

8. Minors (below the age of 18) should not be allowed to play violent video games' Do you agree?

Neutral

9. Do you think you are born with violence?

OR

You are born with violence. It's part of nature.

10. In your opinion;

OR

It varies from person to person. It can bring out violence that is suppressed as a way of venting.

11. Violence is part of our life. Not only does it appear in video games but it appears everywhere in our society.'

Agree

12. Do you agree that if we were to remove violent video games from our society, that it would make people less aggressive and make life more peaceful?

Strongly Disagree

1. What is your Age:

2. What is your Gender:

Male

3. What is your Occupation:

Manual Labor

4. What is your Education Level:

GED

1.Action 2. RPG 3. Shooter 4. Action-adventure 5.Adventure 6. Stratergy 7. Simulation

Unimportant

Agree

Agree

Unimportant

Strongly disagree

Shooter

Strongly disagree

OR

You develop it over time, through other people

In your opinion;

OR

Research has proven that playing violent video-games will cause violent behaviour

Strongly Agree

Disagree

What is your Age:

What is your Gender:

Male

What is your Occupation:

None

Year 8 High school student

Shooter, RPG, Action, Action-Adventure, Strategy, Adventure, Simulation

Unimportant.

Disagree.

Disagree.

important.

Strongly disagree.

I dont play games when angry, But I do play when im stressed to try and get my mind off things.

I think it really depends on how the violence is in a game.

OR

Violence is developed, Its just how much you go through determines how bad it will be in my opinion

In your opinion;

OR

Really depends on how into the game you get. But i would say temporarily.

Agree.

Disagree.

What is your Age: 21

What is your Occupation: Handyman

What is your Education Level: GED