HLG, An Alternative Way of Winning

As many of you know, but most of you don't, HLG is Hidden League Gaming. The goal of HLG is to score above their opponent and then hide for the rest of the game forcing their opponent to either quit or sit through the game clock. Members of HLG are known as "Map Breakers" because the most common way they hide is to use a glitch to get out of the map, or out of the normal line of sight. "We do not hide because we have to, we hide because we can. Welcome to an alternative way of winning."

Origins of HLG

HLG, similar to MLG (Major League Gaming), was made popular by the game Halo. It has since spread into other online Multiplayer games such as CoD, Battlefield, and even Team Fortress. HLG, while not being an actual organization (it's more similar to Anonymous, where anyone who has skill can be affiliated by simply saying they are) was started because of MLG's rise to fame. HLG was made popular by derankers and boosters (who, in some cases are actually better players than some people in MLG) in Halo 3.

HLG vs MLG

The reason for HLG's popularity was the same as the reason for MLG's popularity. Players would say something like "I'm MLG pro" and such, and would get stomped in the game. So, HLG PRO was dubbed. HLG PRO is actually an acronym rather than an abbreviation. In the case of MLG pro, pro means professional. In the case of HLG PRO, pro means "******** off Randoms". Unlike MLG, HLG was made as a joke, but turned into a rather large and competitive group. Players in HLG compete against each other on occasion to find the "best" hiding spots in a map. HLG's original purpose was to "troll" those who take gameplay seriously and claim that they are "in" MLG. Considering the majority opinion of those who back MLG on HLG is that they are "camping little girls", it seems to have worked.

HLG "Skills"

Many are of the opinion that HLG takes no skill. This, however, is not the case. To be effective in HLG, you have to be able to take and maintain the lead in a game while also find and get in a hiding spot. A competitive HLG game has more "moving parts" than a competitive MLG game. In an MLG game, you have to use teamwork to either capture an objective while defending your own, or to kill the enemy team more often then being killed yourself. In an HLG game, you have to be able to gain and maintain a lead score, while simultaneously hiding where the other HLG players will not be able to find you. Both types of gameplay take a coordinated team effort to win, and enough skill in the game to be able to maintain a lead.

HLG Evolution

Over the years, HLG has evolved from "I heard about this glitch from a friend, we should try it out", to a coordinated effort to reveal glitches in multiplayer maps. These days, HLG players find glitches and make "how to" videos on how to exploit them and post them on youtube. This is thanks mainly in part to ease of access for technology, and the competitive nature of players who have decided to be in HLG. Some of the older HLG players do not like this new trend, as it reveals their secrets for all to see, and either exploit or counter. However, this boosts the "skill" required to play the HLG way, and "separates the men from the boys" as it were. The uploading of HLG videos to youtube not only gives players a chance to counter HLG gameplay, but it also gives the companies running the games the chance to patch the flaws in their maps. This gives HLG a bit more "legitimacy" than it had when it was just rumors. HLG evolved alongside MLG, so it made sense when HLG clans started popping up.

For more information on these clans, and how to join, visit http://hlghq.wordpress.com/hlg-clans/

Thanks for reading, hope you learned something. :D

-The Director

• Like 2

But what exactly does HLG stand for? I apologize if I missed it.

lol it was in the first sentence xD But yes, it stands for Hidden League Gaming. It's a play on Major League Gaming. :D

HLG means hidden league gaming...and thanks director, i have seen vids on these guys, they are actually good map testers for hiding spots which is awesome for forgers.

Lol that's not their original purpose, but it is a beneficial side affect :) And you are welcome :D

Lol, I think I may have played with one of these HLG guys then. He took me into customs and began showing me exploitable spots in maps. In one game we went into doubles, killed these two guys a couple of times each then we went and hid in this tiny little hole that allows you to get under the map structure. Was hilarious in the post game lobby, they were going crazy at us lol.

• Like 2

I find thats unsportsmanship as they dont play the game as it was intended. And its a unskilled way to play. In a game like Halo where there are a lot of momentum changes due to Power weapons and map control switching, gaining a "little" lead of like 10 kills can easily be overcome with the momentum change of regaining power weapons and map control. Basically, they just need to get the power weapons first, use em to get there lead and hide like a ***** for the rest of the game. Dont get me wrong, hiding in the last 1 or 2 minutes is legit, but not when you glitch out the map and use unintended knowledge of ways to cheat the game to win.

Its like saying its skill and fair if I know how to mod the game and use it online. Or atleast that superjumping in Halo 2 was fair... Something Bungie was very clear when they said it was cheating.

• Like 1

I find thats unsportsmanship as they dont play the game as it was intended. And its a unskilled way to play. In a game like Halo where there are a lot of momentum changes due to Power weapons and map control switching, gaining a "little" lead of like 10 kills can easily be overcome with the momentum change of regaining power weapons and map control. Basically, they just need to get the power weapons first, use em to get there lead and hide like a ***** for the rest of the game. Dont get me wrong, hiding in the last 1 or 2 minutes is legit, but not when you glitch out the map and use unintended knowledge of ways to cheat the game to win.

Its like saying its skill and fair if I know how to mod the game and use it online. Or atleast that superjumping in Halo 2 was fair... Something Bungie was very clear when they said it was cheating.

This is not a debate. Everything listed in the OP is fact, not opinion. If your opinion is different from the facts then, good sir, you need to change your opinion.

Also, if you are actually having trouble playing against HLG players, then might I suggest you do a youtube search for HLG so that you can find their hiding spots. Here you go http://343i.org/bk

One last thing, and let me be very clear about this. Modding and glitching are two very separate things. Not everyone can mod, but everyone can use a glitch. Like BXR on Halo 2, for instance. Anyone can camp, anyone can crouch jump, and anyone can get off of a map if they put their minds to it.

I'm a fan of MLG but not a fan of HLG. Although people usually misunderstand both, especially MLG. The people you see in Matchmaking with gamertags such as "xx4ShotZxx" are not MLG players. Those are posers.

MLG players can be nice, too. Don't stereotype.

This is not a debate. Everything listed in the OP is fact, not opinion. If your opinion is different from the facts then, good sir, you need to change your opinion.

Also, if you are actually having trouble playing against HLG players, then might I suggest you do a youtube search for HLG so that you can find their hiding spots. Here you go http://343i.org/bk

One last thing, and let me be very clear about this. Modding and glitching are two very separate things. Not everyone can mod, but everyone can use a glitch. Like BXR on Halo 2, for instance. Anyone can camp, anyone can crouch jump, and anyone can get off of a map if they put their minds to it.

Saying glitching is a skillfull way to win is not "fact". So you say winning by superjump was fair and skillfull? Believe what you want, but the real fact is its cheating. There is a Feedback option for "cheating" which describes using in-game exploits, exactly what HLG is about.

And technically, anyone can mod (and I quote you) "if they put there minds to it". Hell, I've seen 12 year old kids do it.

• Like 1

That is all I do. I watch their videos so I know where they hide. I got HLG'd once... and that was the last time... ever.

you should al of added how to find HLG clans, or how to find HLG people, often there are a lot of people in team doubles and stuff like that Director :)

Alright, thanks for the suggestion! :D

I'm a fan of MLG but not a fan of HLG. Although people usually misunderstand both, especially MLG. The people you see in Matchmaking with gamertags such as "xx4ShotZxx" are not MLG players. Those are posers.

MLG players can be nice, too. Don't stereotype.

I didn't mean to be misunderstood here, I was simply stating the reasons for the forming of HLG. Unfortunately this may have come across as me being "down with MLG", but that's not quite the case. While recently, the ones who are running MLG have angered me (long story), I harbor no ill will towards those who compete in MLG tournaments. :D

And technically, anyone can mod (and I quote you) "if they put there minds to it". Hell, I've seen 12 year old kids do it.

Glitches are included within a game. Mods you have to either make or buy. Someone who is on a strict budget cannot afford to mod. There are children who's parents won't let them even take apart their controller, let alone their X-Box. So no, not everyone can do it even if they put their minds to it. That's why modding can not only get you banned, but sued as well. It is a breach of contract with the ones who are in charge of the multiplayer matchmaking servers. The only reason why more people aren't sued is because it's so widespread that it makes it impractical to. You cannot, however, be sued for "glitching", as this is an exploit that is caused due to lack of competence on the part of the game developers, and is even more widespread then actual modding.

Also, as I've said, this is not a debate.

Fact: If it's difficult to do then it requires skill. Fact: Finding glitches is difficult to do. Sometimes exploiting them is even more so. Fact: Working as a team to exploit a glitch is even more difficult than doing it by yourself.

And its a unskilled way to play.

Fact: It is not an unskilled way to play, as it takes precision, timing, and teamwork.

Fair enough about the modding, but you still neglected the real point of the post, and thats the fact glitches are considered cheating by developers and Microsoft.

Okay, I've said it three times now. This. Is. Not. A. Debate. What part of that do you not understand? This is an "informative" thread, not an "in my opinion" thread.

But, I'll humor you. Here is my response to the "real point" of that post.

For clarification, MLG is known for using glitches as well. BXR, the weapon switch glitch, the sniper drag shot, jump crouching, and several other unintended gameplay mechanics that they use unless they are specifically told not to in a tournament. So no, HLG isn't the only organization that uses glitching to "enhance" their gameplay experience.

Its debatable when you try to pass a glitch as legit stratagy. And MLG isnt Bungie, they are a group like HLG that uses glitches "they" allow for competition. It ok if everyone allows it, but not if its against random people in MM. Bungie stated several times that the weapon glitches in H2 were cheating, just like superbounces. They even re-mentioned it in the litttle "tips" screen while searching in MM on H2 during its last day online.

I have no problem with glitching, as long as its done outside MM.