Warthog Physics

VivaLebowski

Imo the Halo Reach Warthog's physics were way out of wack. It rolled over way to easily, and while this could lead to some fun times on occasion, in total the lack of control was more nerveracking than it was enjoyable.

I'm wondering A) What other people's thoughts are on this and b ) If anyones heard any news about this.

I just thought Vehicles in general sucked compared to the ones in 3, mainly beacuse they had a health system and they could be taken down by DMR's and Snipers easily.

The Halo CE warthog had the worse physics.

Ya. As long as those don't come back I will be happy. I thinly that it should be like reach but with a little more weight and power. Also does anyone think these gas tanks will have anything to do with the vehicles?

Yeah agreed. But the reason the warthogs sucked so bad in Halo 1, is because they didn't have Havok physics for the vehicles. They mention it during tone of their VidOCs that they hard to write the physics themselves.

That aside, the Reach physics do mimic the handling of the Halo 1 model. Worst ever!!!! Have to agree that halo 3 had the best refined and tuned handling for the vehicles, and if they need to focus and borrow physics settings, it needs to be from Halo 3.

• Like 2

Im not sure if it's correct or not...but most of the trouble with the health of the vehicle seemed to be also how damage was passed to riders. If you shot a warthog with a sniper and three passagers inside, the old system would pass half or 3/4 of the damage to the riders...leaving the rest to be taken by the actual vehicle.

Snipers should not be able to kill tanks, except maybe with an agonizingly perfect shot to a critical point. The balanace of Vehicle killers and Vehicles felt balaned in Halo 3...whereas in Reach, it fluctuates horribly between OP Banshee's and Scorpions and DMR beat downs of every vehicle on the map.

I loved the Halo 3 warthog physics. I can't be as precise with the reach warthog, if that makes sense.

That makes perfect sense good sir.

Halo 3 "Oh a grenade! We got knocked off our path!"

Halo Reach "Oh a grenade! We got knocked over to...wait, where da **** are we?

• Like 4

I think all the vehicles control poorly in Reach. Especially the Wraith. Oh god... It's almost like the transition between GTA San Andreas to GTA IV. There's an added feeling of weight to the vehicles. They're suddenly harder to control, and you get stuck in places.

I think all the vehicles control poorly in Reach. Especially the Wraith. Oh god... It's almost like the transition between GTA San Andreas to GTA IV. There's an added feeling of weight to the vehicles. They're suddenly harder to control, and you get stuck in places.

The wraiths physics I feel are correct. The wraiths is a minimum of... Well, from it's size, 4000 pounds, trudging around on anti gravity. So when you get something THAT big to accelerate to speeds that it's capable of, you'll be drifting a while before you can stop. It's only logical.

• Like 1

The wraiths physics I feel are correct. The wraiths is a minimum of... Well, from it's size, 4000 pounds, trudging around on anti gravity. So when you get something THAT big to accelerate to speeds that it's capable of, you'll be drifting a while before you can stop. It's only logical.

Yeah, I understand physics and all. I'm just saying it's horrific to control. And weight didn't seem to matter in the other Halo games.

Am I the only person who actually really liked the way the Halo:CE Warthog handled?

In any case, I liked the feeling of speed and weight in the Reach version. It was just ruined by how fragile it was, and how uncontrollable it became after even the lightest touch. You could use the Brute Shot against its counterpart in Halo 3 without sending it too far off course, and yet it routinely gets rolled with nothing but small arms fire in Reach.

Ideally, it should keep its speed and the feeling of weight, but be less susceptible to rolling. A bit less sliding would be nice, too. And a turret which can actually hurt people again.

Ya. As long as those don't come back I will be happy. I thinly that it should be like reach but with a little more weight and power. Also does anyone think these gas tanks will have anything to do with the vehicles?

Warthogs are hydrogen powered. No gasoline. So there would be no gas tank, thus no additional effect. The engine is what needs to be protected.

I must agree, the physics in Halo Reach were way out of whack. On the other hand, like many people have already said, Halo 3 physics were the best. And I think 343 Industries is going to address this in our favors. It seems that 343 is all about realism. I mean, they made an actual story about why Red Spartans fight Blue Spartan just so there would be some sort of realism. They also created a new breed of Spartans for multiplayer to help convey the story more effectively.

So all signs seem to point to the fact that 343 Industries is all about realism, or in this case, getting Halo as real as it can be without ******** us fans off. So I think the physics of a Warthog will surly by fixed because, even in the year 2557, there is no reason why a Warthog should fly 100 feet into the air when a grenade hits it. If a grenade was truly that powerful, the Warthog should look like it had been nuked by the time it hits the ground.

Just my two-cents, hopefully 343 really does follow through like I expect them to.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...