Halo 3 (and possible wars and reach?) port to PC?

jimmyyaesu

I'm brand new to the forums and only wish to bring up one thing, rather than contribute to what will likely be a flame war over nothing important...

Why are hackers irrelevent? I'm no stooge when it comes to tech, but when I play Halo:CE on the PC on multiplayer, people hack or mod all the time, on servers, or clients. Why would the jump from Halo:CE to Halo 3 be so vast, it would be, apparently, impossible? I'm not caught up very much with whatever SDK's Microsoft is using, so if they upgraded security vastly and can detect mods and hacks very reliably, that might be a different story, but I'm basically asking what you guys think of it and why.

Or, was I just misunderstanding, and you were all saying that the reason the "omg hackers" argument doesn't work, is because hackers are irrelevant, people would still buy the game?

dedicated servers come in handy, everyone I've been on has had hackers banned within five minutes, but even on any other server all you have to do is boot them and report them

The Halo games could work on PC and they have done in the past but there are a lot of empty arguments that people keep throwing around here trying to argue against Halo coming to PC.

1) Hackers will ruin any chance of Halo on the PC

Wrong. PC uses dedicated servers run by admins. If in the small chance there is a hacker, they will be booted very quickly. I've yet to see hackers manage to get away with anything in any of the Halo games on PC or PC games in general on servers with good admins. On Halo 2 there was nothing to stop hackers on the Xbox, on PC there was for example as a result of dedicated servers.

2) It's an Xbox exclusive like Uncharted is to PS3, PC gamers are being greedy.

Actually, Halo is a Microsoft exclusive. There is nothing stopping Halo being ported to PC as you saw with the first two games. Halo 2 Vista even uses Games For Windows Live (PC version of Xbox Live) with achievements etc. Both of these games were "Xbox exclusives" but were still ported after a few years. Fact is, if Microsoft deems there to be money to be made, they will make a PC port.

3) 343 Industries doesn't work with PC.

This one i'm not sure on but in any case, Halo 1 and 2 were ported by other teams anyway with oversight by Bungie. Gearbox ported the original Halo and Hired Gun ported (badly) the second. A similar scenario could be made for the other Halo games.

4) The controls don't work as well on PC.

This is absurd. M+K has always been better for FPS and the first two games worked perfectly fine on PC with those controls. And in any case, part of GFWL or PC gaming is the choice of use of a 360 controller if preferred, in which case you're getting a much smoother experience (60+fps vs 30) compared to the Xbox so the game and controls will work better than console.

5) Whenever i think Halo, i think Xbox

Granted, this i do agree with this to some extent, it doesn't mean there is a PC fanbase waiting for the other Halo games. Halo PC has a huge community after 9 years or so after its release as the game worked well on PC. Halo 2 on the other hand didnt do so great due to the bugs it has when it was ported and silly ideas Microsoft tried do (5 installs and your game becomes useless etc) but there are still those who want the story. Even some gamers like myself would still buy a PC version of the newer games - provided it caters well to the PC crowd and offers good customisation and modability like the original Halo PC did with Custom Edition.

6) Go play Custom Edition with Halo 3 mods

Kind of defeats the point, it's still not Halo 3.

Anyways, these are my opinions on the matter and hopefully there will be some good discussions made :)

• 3 weeks later...

Let me add to this a bit.

1. Anyone who wanted Halo 3 would own it by now.

That's completely false. I don't see the point in buying a $200+ console for a $30~ game, plus monthly fees, just to play one game. Anyone that says different is either rich or mentally challenged.

2. But piracy!

Piracy also happens on Consoles, and in fact goes unnoticed.

3. But DRM!

DRM may suck, but if done right (Steam is a DRM of sorts) it'll prove useful, even helpful to the customers.

4. Consoles are superior!

Ha.. oh wait, you're serious? Consoles are stuck the same many years until the next gen. Not only that your precious consoles, they're actually PCs. "IT'S NOT TRUE!! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!" Sorry, it is. I'm not a "PC MASTER RACE" person, but trying to compair a Console and PC, you're gonna have a bad time. Apples to Oranges.

5. But Microsoft owns Xbox

Microsoft also owns Windows. Your point being?

6. Profit < Cost

Just go already. If anything it's cheaper to buy one game for PC, then it is to buy a console a game, and a subscription. Meaning more people would just buy the PC game. For every one that gets the game, console, and subscription, there's at least 10 that's willing to buy it for the PC.

7. Go play a Halo 3 mod for Halo CE/2

You're missing the point if you even think this.

8. Find an emulator for Halo 3.

Do you even know what an emulator is? And how powerful a PC needs to be to even run one? You at least need a PC from 2008 to run a PS2 Emulator. That's not saying the PS2 is more powerful, it's all based on how it was designed. Lets say this.

To play a Soul Reaver game that's emulated, one would require a powerful PC from 2008, at least Duel Core, depending on what console you emulate, PS2 or Dreamcast.

-

PCSX2

Minimal Specs:

AMD XP/64 or Intel Pentium 4 (VM Built will not work with non SSE2 CPU's)

512MB of RAM

Pixel Shader 1.4 supporting card (GSdx Graphics Plugin Only)

Recommended Specs: (For reasonable performance in many games, but not all)

AMD64 X2 or Intel Conroe E6600+ (Multi Threading is supported in PCSX2)

512-1024MB of RAM (more RAM allows for VM mode to be stable)

Pixel Shader 2.0 supporting card (recommended GeForce 6600-8800 or equivalent ATi card)

Possible Ideal Specs:

64bit OS such as Vista or winXP64, to allow for future support of 64bit recompilers.

Future AMD or Intel Quad Core maybe needed, but currently the support of 4 threads is not handled by PCSX2, and the effect of threading out EE / VU is not yet known.

We don't forsee you requiring a GPU more powerful than the current generation of cards, up to and including the nVidia GeForce 8800.

To play a Soul Reaver game that's for PC, one would at least need a PC from 2000

-

Processor:1.8 GHz Processor

Memory:512 MB RAM

Graphics:3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 7

DirectX®:7.0

Hard Drive:2 GB HD space

To properly emulate anything, the host needs to be at least 10x more powerful then what it's emulating. And however PS2 is one of the last “true” consoles, it would most likely require more work, as Xbox/360 and PS3 are more PCs then “consoles”. Xbox being a literal modified Windows PC, while PS3 being able to run Linux.

9. But hackers!

Consoles get hackers too.

10. 343/Bungie isn't PC

One word for you then. Marathon.