Halo 3 (and possible wars and reach?) port to PC?

jimmyyaesu

Cost > Profit is not accurate. The compiled format in which the game is spit out by tool.exe is derived and processed on the PC platform. Therefore making it automatically compatible with the DirectX codebase for whatever target platform they want. The real time and issue comes from making it open ended via a HEK (Halo editing Kit). This is where the time and resources come in mostly.

To make it a full HEK every bit of the game has to be decompiled and interchanged to a standard format capable of being reproduced by an installed consumer version of the tool-set.

By my estimate it would take no longer than 6.5 months to completely recompile the entire source and have it ready for tool usage. Add maybe an additional 4 months for secondary items like networking, Live etc...

The total cost in man hours would roughly come to $1,512,000.00 Now that is assuming they use the max needed team of about 42 employees for a full year at industry standard pay. It could be far less depending on the contract with a secondary studio or less team members. But the cost does not outway the profit on that one. Even though Halo 3 sold a lot of copies in it's time, there is roughly still about 47% of the PC gaming population that has not played anything past Halo 2.

I want to know where you get the 47% from.

• Like 1

Cost > Profit is not accurate. The compiled format in which the game is spit out by tool.exe is derived and processed on the PC platform. Therefore making it automatically compatible with the DirectX codebase for whatever target platform they want. The real time and issue comes from making it open ended via a HEK (Halo editing Kit). This is where the time and resources come in mostly.

To make it a full HEK every bit of the game has to be decompiled and interchanged to a standard format capable of being reproduced by an installed consumer version of the tool-set.

By my estimate it would take no longer than 6.5 months to completely recompile the entire source and have it ready for tool usage. Add maybe an additional 4 months for secondary items like networking, Live etc...

The total cost in man hours would roughly come to $1,512,000.00 Now that is assuming they use the max needed team of about 42 employees for a full year at industry standard pay. It could be far less depending on the contract with a secondary studio or less team members. But the cost does not outway the profit on that one. Even though Halo 3 sold a lot of copies in it's time, there is roughly still about 47% of the PC gaming population that has not played anything past Halo 2.

that 1.5 million dollar is nothing for Microsoft since they spend roughly 1 billion to advertise windows 8...

• Like 1

47% comes from my personal interactions with playing Halo 1 and Halo CE for PC. At average I game with over 1,000 individual unique players a week. By my estimate, 47% of those I asked about Halo 3 and Reach stated that they didn't play either or don't have an xbox.

that comes in at roughly 5k community PC members alone just in my gaming time that have not played. Hypothetically you could calculate that roughly 10k unique people a day play Halo at some point and have never played a title outside Halo 1 or Halo 2.

10k at $49.99 is a net sale of $499,999.00 just on that one interaction base alone. How many people around the world could you then estimate that don't play Halo 1 or 2 for PC, that have yet to play 3 or Reach? You could easily at best say in the millions. The potential target audience is wide enough that if the development cost was split between 2 studios, it would generate into a massive gain. Let's not forget also the countless numbers of Halo 3 and reach players, that would undoubtedly pick it up for PC anyway just because they could.

And Kayla, please don't try to pass off a lame excuse like modding and hacking as a reason why it would not work. You need to get your facts straight and eat your Wheaties before you try to take me on in this type of technical / Corporate product aspect.

• Like 1

47% comes from my personal interactions with playing Halo 1 and Halo CE for PC. At average I game with over 1,000 individual unique players a week. By my estimate, 47% of those I asked about Halo 3 and Reach stated that they didn't play either or don't have an xbox.

that comes in at roughly 5k community PC members alone just in my gaming time that have not played. Hypothetically you could calculate that roughly 10k unique people a day play Halo at some point and have never played a title outside Halo 1 or Halo 2.

10k at $49.99 is a net sale of $499,999.00 just on that one interaction base alone. How many people around the world could you then estimate that don't play Halo 1 or 2 for PC, that have yet to play 3 or Reach? You could easily at best say in the millions. The potential target audience is wide enough that if the development cost was split between 2 studios, it would generate into a massive gain. Let's not forget also the countless numbers of Halo 3 and reach players, that would undoubtedly pick it up for PC anyway just because they could.

And Kayla, please don't try to pass off a lame excuse like modding and hacking as a reason why it would not work. You need to get your facts straight and eat your Wheaties before you try to take me on in this type of technical / Corporate product aspect.

I'm just saying that the profit < cost thing because anyone who has wanted to play Halo 3 has done so already.

I agree with you on sales terms, but no need to throw around people over it, if you call her out, you need to call everyone else out over it. Otherwise your just picking on someone.

Bad thing about a port now is, that the ports will be years behind, that kinda fractures the community base for it. Otherwise I see no problem.

• Like 3

I agree with you on sales terms, but no need to throw around people over it, if you call her out, you need to call everyone else out over it. Otherwise your just picking on someone.

Bad thing about a port now is, that the ports will be years behind, that kinda fractures the community base for it. Otherwise I see no problem.

She is an example to rest of the nubs

The Android OS is any better?

Twin, I'm disappointed in you. You had no business calling Kayla out like that. Just because she isn't some uber 1337 tech master? It was uncalled for. I thought you were about bringing the forum together? Call to arms? ( http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/7756-call-to-arms-community-awareness-and-healing/)

I used to have a lot of respect for you, but today you lost every bit of it.

She is an example to rest of the nubs

You too, back off.

It is not that hard to search the forums for the many threads containing PC and port in the title, it's that same argument over and over again

You dont see the point, she was one of many who said that. so there was no reason to exclusively bash her over it.

I agree anyway a port to pc would be handy.

I think the main reason why Halo 3, and every other Halo game after it, never will be on the PC is because then there might be less purchases of their Xbox consoles. Halo already has a large fanbase. So, if Microsoft makes the Halo titles exclusive to their consoles, not only are they making money off of each individual who buys the game, but also off each individual who buys the console just so they can play the new Halo.

If they were to port it to PC, sure they'd sell plenty of copies and make tons of money. But, they would sell less of their consoles.

• Like 1

Bashfull, you can keep the respect and words in general for someone who cares. I called Kayla out because she like the rest of the ignorant community has no mind or opinion of their own. every single response I usually see is a lemming cookie cutter post that mimics another, or is based on what some no-name member posted. People around here need to wake up and get their own sense of gaming know-how. Stop imitating people just because your too lazy to do your own research or form your own opinion.

I'm sure Kayla is a wonderful young lady in the physical real world...but this is not that. This is a forum which divides us amongst the world over, and in no way provides us any real friendship. For the record, let her and anyone else who feels slighted by me, take me on one on one. I doubt very much she needs an advocate here to defend and help her. If she has a problem with me, she'll let me know.

You guys wanna know how Twin really feels?!? I don't think anyone does.......

• Like 3

Twin, I'm disappointed in you. You had no business calling Kayla out like that. Just because she isn't some uber 1337 tech master? It was uncalled for. I thought you were about bringing the forum together? Call to arms? ( http://www.343indust...ss-and-healing/)

I used to have a lot of respect for you, but today you lost every bit of it.

You too, back off.

I agree with both of you from what I've seen. Twin, that remark wasn't necessarily called for. Bashful, you don't have to protect Kayla just because she is a girl. She can handle herself.

I agree with both of you from what I've seen. Twin, that remark wasn't necessarily called for. Bashful, you don't have to protect Kayla just because she is a girl. She can handle herself.

What the heck? I'm not protecting her just because she's a girl. I'm protecting her because she's a friend. I would do the same for any other of my friends.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm brand new to the forums and only wish to bring up one thing, rather than contribute to what will likely be a flame war over nothing important...

Why are hackers irrelevent? I'm no stooge when it comes to tech, but when I play Halo:CE on the PC on multiplayer, people hack or mod all the time, on servers, or clients. Why would the jump from Halo:CE to Halo 3 be so vast, it would be, apparently, impossible? I'm not caught up very much with whatever SDK's Microsoft is using, so if they upgraded security vastly and can detect mods and hacks very reliably, that might be a different story, but I'm basically asking what you guys think of it and why.

Or, was I just misunderstanding, and you were all saying that the reason the "omg hackers" argument doesn't work, is because hackers are irrelevant, people would still buy the game?

Hey guys im a recent xbox player that converted to pc for convienience I built my own Rig and noticed the difference of graphics of how well games on pc outperform games on the xbox. The xbox itself is a great community based system but is very limited by its internal hardware, and 10mb of evram on its Gpu has slown the xbox right down. In halo 3 you hear people complaining about lag and people having bad internet. Well its most likely everyones xbox is having a few troubles rendering whats in front of you. Depending on the specs of the PC this normally wont happen (unless you get some kid who thinks his intel celeron laptop is the best) The frame rates normally run smoothly and on the topic of hackers it simply wont happen if you choose the right server. 343 hope you look at this whole forum post and take it into consideration. :fun:

And also Peoples comment of halo being an xbox exclusive title Halo CE and Halo 2 has been realeased on pc it simply is not an xbox exclusive title. :fun:

• 2 weeks later...

Ironically, beacuse its a strategy game, Halo Wars seems to me to be the game that absolutely needs to stay on Console. Its a simple, rock paper scissors game which is way to simple for console PC players...I love it. More than I love any PC RTS's (Starcraft is too hardcore for me lol) but it doesnt belong on PC.

Then again, this is kinda analagous to how Halo 1 was for PC, it being the game changer for Console shooters that it was, and it worked great for PC. Thats where I first played it since I never owned the first Xbox.

So probably I have no right to judge ;). But if they were to port Hwars to PC, they should def add custom games and some things to add more depth to it.

It's an RTS, but the fact that is has a "Select all units" button makes me a little bit sad.