Why The Halo Movie Didn't Happen

To all mods concerning, if this does not belong here please move it. I was unsure where to put this. Anyways enjoy.

Way back in 2005, Microsoft made a serious play to create a blockbuster, tentpole Halo movie. The author of 28 Days Later was paid a million bucks to write a script. Fox and Universal were working with Microsoft to put it together. Denzel Washington was rumored to be interested in starring as Master Chief. Everyone was predicting huge things... Seven years later, the Halo flick is dead and buried. What happened?

While we've covered the surface of the various vicious Hollywood politics and infighting that doomed the project, the deep-dirt on the Halo movie story has never been told, until now. Wired has published a lengthy excerpt from a fascinating book, Gernation Xbox: How Video Games Invaded Hollywood, that tells the story of the fouled up Halo deal. The real culprit, according to the book, was a clash of cultures. The games industry and Hollywood just don't work the same way.

Basically, Microsoft plays very hard hardball, and brought the Halo movie to Hollywood with unprecedented baggage, demanding a deal that Hollywood ultimately could not seem to support. They were rigid, and eventually, the whole thing fell apart.

Another sticking point was director Neil Blomkamp's unique style. At the time, he was unproven in the feature space (although he later directed excellent sci-fi flick District 19). According to Blomkamp, all the players -- Microsoft, Fox and Universal -- were skittish about his gritty style.

“I told Tom Rothman [co-Chairman of Fox Filmed Entertainment] that I was genetically created to direct Halo," Blomkamp said. Although he realised that the studio didn’t share his artistic vision, described by Wired as a "gritty, post-cyberpunk aesthetic — all blurry video feeds and radio chatter."

The gritty style that made District 9 so amazing was not suited for a summer blockbuster, according to the studio.

“Rothman hated me, I think he would have gotten rid of me if he could have,” says the Blomkamp. “The suits weren’t happy with the direction I was going. Thing was, though, I’d played Halo and I play video games. I’m that generation more than they are and I know that my version of Halo would have been insanely cool. It was more fresh and potentially could have made more money than just a generic, boring film — something like G.I. Joe or some crap like that, that Hollywood produces.”

The sad thing is, Blomkamp was probably right. The test footage he shot for the Halo movie was edited into Halo 3: Landfall, an amazing short film that gives a tiny glimpse into what might have been.

Generally, I think Hollywood shouldn't make video game movies. The two things don't really tend to go together that well in terms of straight adaptations (for evidence, look at every single video game movie that has ever been produced) but the involvement of Blomkamp and producer Guillermo Del Toro had me nearly convinced... oh, well. Best not to dwell on what might have been.

Definitely read the the Wired excerpt; it reads like a great novel, with set-pieces including an invasion of Master Chiefs into Hollywood offices and the kind of politicking and hard-nosed businessman stuff that we all too rarely hear about.

All of the best people are following Stephen Johnson's twitter feed.

halo-3-odst-available-for-preorder.jpg

Information from --> http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/723007/why-the-halo-movie-didnt-happen/

• Like 4

Honestly, they shouldn't make a Halo movie about things that have already been made into games. What they should do is take a few of the books and make them movies. Movies based on books aren't usually horrible like most movies based on games. They could even do the movies in multiple parts so they could be more descriptive, and people would still go see them. I'd honestly rather see a 3 part tFoR then sit in the theater for 3 hours anyway. :D

Also, Microsoft should give a bit of leeway. For the books, the contact the author and say "here's an outline, use your imagination." I know why they can't be THAT lenient with the movies, but it makes no sense to be as strict as they were.

Also, there is a group currently working on a Halo movie, nonprofit. I'm not sure how far they've come, but they are working on it.

• Like 1

Very interesting, I hope one comes out sometime soon

I feel a halo movie will be made depending on Halo 4's success

regardless, I will give my left lung to see a Halo movie

If they do make one, I hope they base it off a book, maybe Fall of Reach (by far my favorite) or Ghosts of Onyx?

I definitely want to see a Halo Movie, but I see why they don't make one. They could still work around the problems couldn't they? I mean, not NOW, but in the future, Halo would make a great movie. I say, once 4, 5, maybe 6 come out, they should. By then, the original Halo story would be a great movie plot. I mean, so many Halo installments, another fall back to the classics would be good. And if it was a hit, they could take on 2 and 3. Also, Reach would make a great movie.

Plus, with movie magic increasing every day, those movies would look SO nice.

Guest hotdog8818

I think a Halo movie could work maybe one based on ODST's campaign which in my opinion is the one which would work best as a movie

yea that would be good

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Mr. The Director: in my opinion, a movie based on one of the games of the trilogy would be boring, because there would be too many scenes of shooting and Chief walking around, occasionally a conversation between John and Cortana. But a movie based on a book, most likely The Fall of Reach or Contact Harvest or Ghosts of Onyx or even better Cryptum wuold be awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...