Halo 4 for pc..... ???

Nakroz

I think we may see halo 3 on the PC sometime soon. I watched that video that AD had linked from the halo Fest Panel...and the way that Frank and Kiki looked at eachother when they were asked about side projects......well, it just looked awkward. usually if there is absolutely no project in the works or so forth, they would have just said no, sorry, no side projects...but they hesitated and looked a little awkward for a moment, then Frank said they are always looking and actively talking about different projects and possibilities. I think something big is up and they weren't expecting a question like that to be asked. Kinda like the awkward "modding community" question that got aksed. I thought for sure they were all gonna pass out beofre they could find someone to answer it. Even Frank almost didn't know what to say. Epic fun! LMAO

• Like 3

The reason that Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, Halo Reach, and other Halo titles were not released for PC was because it is much easier to mod a game on PC than it is on console. Now, while there are good modders (we will call them Jedi) there are other modders who's intentions are evil (the Sith). A Jedi modder mods a game to improve it, adding things like new missions, better lighting or graphics, and whatnot. A Sith modder mods a game to make cheats and loopholes so that a person with the mod can get a perfection every game or beat legendary in ten minutes. Since Halo is widely considered a respectable competitive game, Microsoft decided to do away with anything that could give someone a stats boost. This meant killing the Jedi along with the Sith though.

The moral of the story is, don't expect any new Halo releases to come out on the PC. However, Frankie did say that there were talks about putting previous Halo releases out on the PC.

• Like 2

Great misconception. games heading to PC or being developed for PC are not determined by moddability. Any game can be modified or hacked for any platform. Reach is a great example of that. PC games are no more prone to hacking and modding than a console. As long as their is a determination and will to get the job done, it will get done and get done fast.

Major problem is that Halo is a first party title. Games from stand alone devs that are not financially tied to Microsoft all release titles for both platforms. It's the entire re-coding process that kills the PC side of a title. Most things in a game are natively compatable with PC except certain core things. For Halo as an example...the only tags or assets not compatable with PC by default are shaders, bsp, and scenario files. I am unsure about collision, but last time I checked it was fully compatable. basically anything that ahs to be compiled is compatable be default since compiling takes place on the PC side tools.

As you said, frankie did touch base and elude to possible future releases for PC in terms of previous titles. Here is hoping!!!!

• Like 2

Great misconception. games heading to PC or being developed for PC are not determined by moddability. Any game can be modified or hacked for any platform. Reach is a great example of that. PC games are no more prone to hacking and modding than a console. As long as their is a determination and will to get the job done, it will get done and get done fast.

You're right, but it generally takes more knowledge to mod a console game, and it is more difficult to use a mod on a console game than it is on PC. For the PC, it's a simple download from piratebay or another such site, with a console it's a bit more complicated.

Also, another reason (actually the main one that I've read and can't BELIEVE I forgot to mention) is Piracy. Which is FAR easier to do on PC than Console. Twin will correct me if I'm wrong, but to get a game for free on the PC usually involves a simple torrent download, but to get a game for free on the X-Box 360 requires first modding the console to read burned discs, then downloading the game and burning it onto a disc, and even then there is a chance of getting a console ban for playing it.

Anyways, that's what I've read. Seems reasonable enough.

Pretty much spot on Director. To my knowledge though, it does take a certain amount of time to get your console banned. usually the Live network does not do a thorough check for DVD Drive firmware regarding all titles...usually only high profile ones. nand and anything else is always a constant looming ban hammer though. But to describe it in more detail, yeah....you pretty much download a ripped ISO file of a 360 game, then run it through a security decrypter, and burn the dvd with modified security sectors, and viola!

I do have to say though that pirating PD games is becoming more difficult. most high profile game snow, require a constant internet connection to play even the campaign, and usually the cracks employed always leave MP play inhibited. I guess it's like 50/50 on some games and 0/100 on most. But for simplicity sake, yes console is much harder. there is no proprietary format to chan ge between and no security sectors to be decrypted and modified on PC games.

• Like 1

Pretty much spot on Director. To my knowledge though, it does take a certain amount of time to get your console banned. usually the Live network does not do a thorough check for DVD Drive firmware regarding all titles...usually only high profile ones. nand and anything else is always a constant looming ban hammer though. But to describe it in more detail, yeah....you pretty much download a ripped ISO file of a 360 game, then run it through a security decrypter, and burn the dvd with modified security sectors, and viola!

I do have to say though that pirating PD games is becoming more difficult. most high profile game snow, require a constant internet connection to play even the campaign, and usually the cracks employed always leave MP play inhibited. I guess it's like 50/50 on some games and 0/100 on most. But for simplicity sake, yes console is much harder. there is no proprietary format to chan ge between and no security sectors to be decrypted and modified on PC games.

Dear mother of God... Did Twinreaper just say that I was right? :o I think there should be an award for that xD

I'm just joshing you lol

Also, quite a few people don't pirate games for online play (heck, few people have actually warned me against trying that), but download them either for the campaign, the story, or some fun on "bot mode" if the game has it. Halo has a pretty rich storyline, and is VERY popular. I can almost guarantee that if/when they come out for PC they will be downloadable on Pirate Bay the same day.

• Like 1

Yup it sure will. Torrents are kinda funny that way as is piracy. Sometimes piracy of a game can lead to many more people buying it since online play is inhibited. With halo though....anything can happen. I first downloaded halo 2 thru a torrent, but because I wanted online play, I paid for the game at a store. Had I been a regular player who never played it though...well...I'm not sure.

I declare Director should get the "Reaper" award, for performing the act of getting me to admit he was right. Doesn't happen often....lmao

• Like 1

Why no? Halo 1 has survived as one of the longest running and still most popular games of pretty much all time, thanks soley to the lovely HEK that came with Halo PC. PC support is a must if Microsoft going forward, intends to keep or rise up again in the PC market. They have a vested interest in the PC market with their OS and proprietary Office/Other software. Making ports of games to support the fanbase which gives them money for OS's in the first place is a no brainer. Sadly, noone at Microsoft seems to really get it. If it werent for the OS's the made, or their initial support for all things PC, gamers the world over would have never given Microsoft a chance when the Xbox 1 came out..and Halo would still be MAC only. Yup, Halo was a RTS first, and a FPS second..and all the while, designed for PC first...now it's a standard console only. Talk about straying from the path...

All that beign said, Halo 3 is a beloved game and many people still look foward to playing it on their off time. Eventually Halo 3 servers will come down, and those who still remain true to what they call the "Real halo", will be left with a hole in their hearts. By allowing PC users to have Halo 3 and dedicated server hosting, Microsoft can not only show love for Halo and the gamers left behind, but also utilize this move to PC, to get more people interested in their OS software. Halo 2 attempted this, but sadly they restricted it to Vista only. had H2 been made to run on XP and later..it would have sold and been recieved more.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...