*Spoilers* Mass effect 3 talk

One

So, after completing the game, I thought i'd make a topic on it, and how god damn awful the ending was.

Why do i feel unsatisfied with the ending? Why did none of my choices seem to ultimately matter in the end?

I feel like Bioware really screwed up right at the end. The rest of the game, spot on, but this ending just ruins all the effort. Do the Mass Relays get destroyed in all the endings? Because if they do, then every species in the galaxy is stuck in our Solar System.

What are your thoughts on the ending and overall game, would you like it of they actually replaced the ending with a DLC?

The game leaves on a lot of "what the hell" thoughts like:

• Where are the Normandy crew, and how will they survive? The planet appears to be completely technologically free, and covered in jungle.
  • With the Relays gone, how is the entire galaxys fleet supposed to get out of our solar system.? They have nowhere to go, our solar system has 1 planet capable of supporting life, and it won't fit a galaxy on it.
  • Why did the Citadel have to be destroyed in order for the Crucible to work? Seems like a really bad choice, with no Citadel, there is no place for all species to meet....wait, no relays sorted that out already.

Just as a heads up, they're trapped in the Sol system, the Milky Way is the whole galaxy - and we've never been able to get out of that anyway.

I don't really mind that it's a sad ending: I knew that was probably going to happen anyway. What really bugs me is that they resolved the entire plot with a deus ex machina which had nothing to do with the rest of the series, ignored all my previous choices, and still didn't make any sense:

• Where did this AI come from?
  • Was it the original creators of the Reapers and the Citadel? If so, how?
  • If not, who created the first Reaper? How and why?
  • What is its relationship with the Reaper known as 'Harbinger'?
  • How does it control the Reapers? Are they even fully sentient?
  • If this AI is in control of the Citadel and wants to bring the Reapers back, why did Sovereign need to manually open the mass relay at the end of ME1?
  • How the hell is Shepard breathing?
  • Why do I get the same three 'options' regardless of what choices I'd made previously?
  • Shepard is a cyborg, Anderson isn't. How is the Illusive Man controlling both of them?
  • Garrus and Liara died right next to me. Joker was in a space battle. How did they suddenly get on the Normandy, which was then magically going through the Mass Relay?
  • Where did they end up?
  • Why had this area of the Citadel never been seen before?
  • Why is controlling the Reapers seen as Paragon, destroying them as Renegade?
  • Why does Shepard have a magical inst-kill gun with unlimited ammunition and which he never needs to reload?
  • Why can't I just shoot the kid?
  • I have Reaper code. Why can't I just set the Catalyst to kill only them instead of all Synthetic life?
  • Why does the thing you shoot look organic?

I think that covers most of the problems I had with the ending. I'm sure if I gave it some more thought I could easily pick out a few more.

Just as a heads up, they're trapped in the Sol system, the Milky Way is the whole galaxy - and we've never been able to get out of that anyway.

I don't really mind that it's a sad ending: I knew that was probably going to happen anyway. What really bugs me is that they resolved the entire plot with a deus ex machina which had nothing to do with the rest of the series, ignored all my previous choices, and still didn't make any sense:

• Where did this AI come from?
  • Was it the original creators of the Reapers and the Citadel? If so, how?
  • If not, who created the first Reaper? How and why?
  • What is its relationship with the Reaper known as 'Harbinger'?
  • How does it control the Reapers? Are they even fully sentient?
  • If this AI is in control of the Citadel and wants to bring the Reapers back, why did Sovereign need to manually open the mass relay at the end of ME1?
  • Why do I get the same three 'options' regardless of what choices I'd made previously?
  • Shepard is a cyborg, Anderson isn't. How is the Illusive Man controlling both of them?
  • Garrus and Liara died right next to me. Joker was in a space battle. How did they suddenly get on the Normandy, which was then magically going through the Mass Relay?
  • Where did they end up?
  • Why had this area of the Citadel never been seen before?
  • Why is controlling the Reapers seen as Paragon, destroying them as Renegade?
  • Why does Shepard have a magical inst-kill gun with unlimited ammunition and which he never needs to reload?
  • Why can't I just shoot the kid?
  • I have Reaper code. Why can't I just set the Catalyst to kill only them instead of all Synthetic life?
  • Why does the thing you shoot look organic?

I think that covers most of the problems I had with the ending. I'm sure if I gave it some more thought I could easily pick out a few more.

Okay, after a long think, i may be able to answer some of your problems, not many, but some.

Regarding Sovereign, I think it needed to open the Mass Relay manually because it was trying to open the relay prematurely, instead of the AI. Or the fact that the keepers were reprogrammed by the Protheans to not open the Relay would be the reason.

About Anderson, I don't think you need to be a cyborg to be indoctrinated, only in the presence of a reaper, Which should mean everyone is a little bit indoctrinated.

Controlling the Reapers is probably paragon because they are a group of super advanced machines, which could be utilized to benefit the entire galaxy and keep peace, and I guess destroying them has the risk of destroying earth if you don't have enough "battle points" or whatever.

Harbinger was the ring leader of the reapers or something, but i don't think it played a big part overall.

About the area of the Citadel, I think it was never seen before because you needed to use the super special reaper beam to get there, except that Anderson ended up in a different place.......I just think it was right at the bottom of the citadel, because we see the blue flash when it is closing over Earth.

I tried to answer as much I could, but these are just quick thoughts, i'm no expert on Mass Effect, I've just played the hell outta the games :P

• Like 1

@Biggles

No. Regardless of what you do, you will have to pick from the same three things and will get exactly the same endings. Believe me, I've tried doing everything wrong and it was still the same as my perfect Paragon save.

@One

I like your ideas, but they need to be explained in the game itself. We can guess all we want, but we can't be certain until Bioware comes out and confirms it for us. I still have hope though, this isn't going to go away regardless of how much free stuff they throw us in multiplayer.

Okay, thought. We all know that with the destruction of the reapers end, with enough galactic readiness, the reapers are destroyed and shepard wakes up, right? Well, what if Shepard never went onto the Citadel, and instead the ending happened while he was in fact, unconscious.

Just think, there is no way he would of survived the blast from the citadel, yet he wakes up on Earth. The ending sequence could be a final indoctrination process that would have killed what was left of Shepard, hence him dying in all endings but one.

I was disappointed with the melee, i honestly expected more features with it, but clearly there isn't. :/

Melee was never a big part of Mass Effect combat, so I wouldn't of expected it be any more advanced or thought out. In the other Mass Effect games it was just....there.

• 2 weeks later...

Saren wanted the synthetics and organics to synthesise. Illusive man wanted control. You want destruction.

All other choices involve Indoctrinated thoughts. It starts making sense the more thought you put into it. But I still want closure on what happened.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...