The "Official" Save Halo 3 Thread.

adam

Multiple choice public poll.  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Should 343i. keep the Halo 3 game online?

• Yes, definitely!
    • Yes, it is the only "classic" example left online of Halo MM.
    • Yes, it has earned the money and the right to be left on.
    • I do not care either way.
    • No, let go of the past and embrace the future of Halo 4.

The Halo 3 servers will never be shut down. People are still buying the game and whatnot plus 343 gave everyone Recon so they must have plans on keeping it up. Plus Microsoft wont let the servers go as they are still making money off of the game. So its safe for awhile.

Think back to H2. Those servers were not taken down for about 5 years after H3 came out. I think it's safe to say H3 still has some life in it. They may take them down and they may not. There are plenty of games out there with hardly any playerbase that have been out for ages and still have xbox live connectivity.

I just re bought halo 3 odst today and started up and saw TONS of low level players online so obviously people are still buying the game.

Its just like the CoD series where people play Mw3 but want to see the evolution of the game so they play CoD 4: Mw. It's the same thing with Halo

I also agree with this. People also get recommended to play the earlier games from friends or if they are unhappy with the current market.

• 3 weeks later...

If they do a good job at Halo 4 MP, and I mean a really good job that makes us feel like the old days, then I will be ok with them shutting it down. However, if they have a MM that is completely targeted towards the casual gamer and no form of the glorious ranking system of Halo 3, it should not be shut down.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It does not matter who owns the servers.. It whether or not they require ti keep them up.. True if enough people play halo 3 then the servers will stay up, but more people play halo wars then halo 3 and halo wars has only a few thousand people max.. And microsoft/343i will likely take down the Halo 3 server between now and at the very latest, the Halo 4 release date..

It's not because more people play halo reach/CEA, it's because they don't want to waste employees on a server with 5,000 people, whereas they can be working on halo reach's server of 100,000 people or halo 4 dev.

Halo 3 was/is a great game but it's (6 years) out-dated..

Regards,

Ashlynn

hi princess

You guys are completely delusional.

The Halo 2 servers only got shut down in 2010. (The 360 and Halo 3 had already been released for a few years by this time.) And halo 2 had much less players in 2010 than halo 3 have currently.

There is no reason why they would shut down the Halo 3 servers upon Halo 4's release.

Has anyone seen any information from Xbox.com or anywhere indicating that the server will get taken down? No? Then why create threads saying that they will get taken down?

• Like 1

Halo 3 is a much loved game of mine, but sadly i believe that we must let it go, it has had its run and now we must make way for the future of Halo. But we will never forget Halo 3 :)

Exactly, we have to let it go. Maybe not when Halo 4 comes out, but eventually. Microsoft will make that decision.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Halo 3 can't be shut down by 343, only Microsoft can do that. H3s servers are "watched" by a bot. And the only reason h2 was shut down wasn't because of the amount of people on it but the fact that Microsoft shut down all the Xbox original live games. Honestly, where do some of you get your information? Or are your posts merely assumptions?

As much as all of us loved Halo 3, the servers are just to underpopulated for MS to spend money to keep up. If Halo 3 still had as many people on the servers as it did in its prime, then it would be a different story.

Right now there are at least 20-40k people on every day, on a 5 year old game.

Versus reach with a population of about 80ish k people on a good day, and thats a 2 year old game.

Halo 3 is doing much better than reach in this perspective and read my other post concerning h3 servers being shut down

• 1 month later...

Halo 3 is the one and only. No other game has the feel and ebergy when playing competitive. It is the best of the Halo series. Sorry 343. Still looking forward to H4...but if it doesnt have H3s ranking system, I'll stick to Good ole H3. <3

• 2 weeks later...

So here we are 6 years later, and Halo 3 still gets a pretty descent amount of players. Six years folks. In tech terms of advancement thats like a hundred years. I hate to say it, but a time will come soon, that the equipment used for Halo 3 will lose support and fall behind the times to the point to which repairing and keeping them up no longer makes fiscal or resource sense. No company wants to hold onto 6 to 10 year equipment and pay the outragous price of upkeep if the product it supports no longer makes them money. In terms of financial gain, Halo 3 makes no more than pennies on the dollar for Microsoft right now. The amount of revenue it actually generates, in terms of new copies, new subscriptions just for it, etc..... is probably not even a fraction of what it costs them currently for the server and game upkeep.

Judging from a company perspective, the sole reason why it is still supported is because besides Halo Reach, ther eis no other Halo game fully supported bu Live. Once halo 4 is ready to debut, Microsoft will be forced to make a choice. Either temporarily take down the Live servers for Halo 3 and consolidate them, and continue to lose money keeping them up, or take them down, upgrade them, and invest them all into a new game title. From a company perspective the choice is easy....take them down and kick halo 3 to the curb. I know this may anger a lot of gamers, but you cannot be so selfish as to just think about yourself. Would you really want the company who makes these games, lose money and eventually have less resources to develop more games?

When Halo 3 does get taken down, it will not be because MS is a bunch of dicks, but because financially it is time to move on, and so it must be for the gamers. But fear not. When halo 3 does go away, you can be sure that not far behind would be a port of it to PC. Logistically, it is the only way microsoft could ensure gamers would still be able to play Halo 3, but not have to lose money or waste resources to do so.

Not quite right, they will have physical servers and a bunch of those servers will be connected to a node and they have hundreds of these if not thousands. On each node there will be some virtual servers running an OS which houses the software for the back-end of games. It is quite easy to move a virtual server to another less used node in the mean time. But you are right in the fact these nodes slowly get upgraded over the years however the fact that it is an old game is the more probable reason for taking it down.

First off bungie/343 do not own the servers microsoft does

2nd Halo 3 servers are only responsible for supporting playlist platforms so there is no point to take it down as it requires no maintanence (this is why you havent had to download an update when playing halo 3 since February)

3rd the only reason why halo 2 was taken down was because it was supported by the orignal xbox and all original xbox games have been taken down due to XBL no longer supporting Orginal Xbox consoles. (nothing to do with halo 2 at all)

4th to those that think no one plays halo 3 well if you check out this link you will see halo 3 is among the top 20 most played games every month (not halo wars) http://majornelson.c...-of-october-15/

5th anyone who disagrees with any of the above points is a moron.

Conclusion Halo 3 will remain a online playable game, for those who choose to play, through the release of the new xbox.

i literally made an account just because of the lack of intelligent posts on this thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hh i know peaple will be sad the hear this but halo 3 was good sold millions flawless but u carnt hold on to a dying game forever your stuck in the pst then if u are that was the halo or 2007 embrace halo 4 that is the fhuture of halo that is the halo of 2012 also insnt halo about evoling and that is what halo has 2 to