Forging Tips, Tricks & Help (Halo Reach - Halo 4)

Donut

RED = Halo Reach

GREEN = Halo 4

ORANGE = Update

This thread is for people who need help making, editing, putting detail and scenery into your maps.

MAKING YOUR MAP

First, you want to decide what kind of map you want to make, the size of the map, and where the people are going to spawn. I usually make Medium to Large type maps and Infection type. For Infection, you want a wide area, with lots of cover, the zombies usually trying to invade and infecting the humans. So you usually want the zombies to split apart and spawn in different places, so the humans wouldn't know where they are coming from. It would give that Infection feel. Let's say the map is City type, the zombies could spawn on or inside buildings, the zombies could run through the doors, easily surprising the human(s), or the zombies jumping off the buildings, surprising them as well.

If you want to make a Slayer/Invasion/Assault,etc type map, you want to even the sides of the attackers and defenders. For aesthetic purposes, you can build a small gun (that does not shoot), like I said, for aesthetic purposes, for a good Invasion map, you don't want all kinds of vehicles (Scorpions, Falcons, etc) everywhere in the map, for Invasion, you want the first phase with Assault Rifles, magnums and DMR's, while Covenant (Attackers) get 1 ghost, Plasma Repeater and Needle Rifle. Second phase, you want 3 Choices of Load-outs, & 1 Warthog. For the Covenant you maybe want 2 Ghosts and 3 Load-outs with cover, and this phase should be Assault, while first is 2 objective stations(Small Gun) Invasion should also be Large, Small or Medium aren't very good choices. If you have any questions for the Making Your Map part, please ask away.

DETAIL, SCENERY & FORGE PIECES

This part of the thread is for the amount of detail & scenery you put in, with the correct forge pieces you use during some tough forging. In maps, you want alot of aesthetics, scenery & detail. If you want a map where there is alot of carnage (Slayer, 4v4) then you want a Small - Medium size map. In these types, you want alot of scenery and detail (Capture Plates, different types of cover). Brace Larges flipped up side down is some pretty cool cover, wall collesiums and window collesiums are good walls. Brace Larges flipped side ways are some awesome walls as well. If you put a Crate on the ground (Fixed) then grab a small block (1x1) and put the block inside the crate (Half way) and leave it there, then grab the crate, the crate will magically go under ground but will still be there. Kinda like cover. XD. The detail, you don't want just a plain and boring straight room, with a bunch of guys shooting at eachother with no cover, you have to put some detail in it, put Cover, detail, like I said, Brace Larges are pretty useful, put some Rocks in there as well, Rock Seastacks are pretty neat, flipped sideways. Railings Medium and Large are good. Use some Gravity Lifts and shield doors flipped to get onto high spots. Some good scenery is Cover Glass, in the walls, then Shield Doors (Blue part) as the back round and Flag Stands side ways as the fish, and a Portable Shield flipped upside down as a crab, could be used as a pretty cool aquarium. XD

Just throwing out some ideas. =)

Editing

This next step is about the editing. If you think you didn't "Complete" your map yet, and already saved it and put in FS, then Edit it. You could make a V2 or V3 and edit it to something better by putting more detail, weapons etc. People look forward to looking at awesome maps, so if you did a bad job on a map, just edit it. Ask people on what they should improve. If gameplay isn't going good, too many camping spots, over powered weapons, just ask them, then edit it. It's that easy. If too many people are complaining about the same thing, then take it out. You have to be sure gameplay is good, or people aren't going to enjoy it.

If you need any help editing anything in Forge, I will be gladly to help. Just reply here your gamertag and what you need help on, then wait for a reply back from me. Once I reply back, I will send a game invite then promote you. Once that is done, you show me the map you need help on and we will edit it together. Please be patient when I forge, I like to take my time on them. Also, tell me what to edit, I don't want to mistakenly delete or add something in a wrong place. Please post away, I'm doing my best to edit these topics as fast as I can, while still typing as great as I can. =D Stay tuned for more.

TRAPS

For me, traps are a pain in the *** to build. I usually build doors with a little crate in the middle of the walkway, and when you press a button (Usually Land Mine) the crate drops down. That door is pretty easy to make, I made my first in Half an Hour, then kept making them, when I finally got good at it, it took me only around 10 minutes. If you want to make this, follow these instructions:

Door, with Crate In Front of Walkway: To make this trap, first make a block (5x5) on it's side and lay it there, make sure it is at least 5 coordinates above ground. Put fusion coil(s) (fixed) in front of it, (this is what is holding the crate). Put the crate above the fusion coils, (Crate on Normal), then a Shield door to seperate the crate and fusion coil so the fusion coils don't blow up the crate. Next, put a land mine under the block your standing on (in the center), and lower the block, make it so you can see the flashing red light of the land mine. Now, put a shield door on the block your standing on, RIGHT on top of the land mine, so you do not get killed by it. Next step: Put Fusion Coils under the block, make like a path, from your Land Mine connecting to your fusion coils holding up the Crate. Next part is optional, put walls in front of your block, (On the sides of the crate) to make the crate evenly straight. This will straighten the crate so it does not fly off. Now just step on the land mine and watch your crate drop to make a great pathway. If you need more help, message me (Platinum 5killz).

BASE MAP

If you like making base maps, follow these great tips::

Bases are easy to make if you have patience during your forging. You first want to find a good spot to put a base at then make your outline of the base, start by making a floor, add your details (Clan Room, Training Course, Weapon Room, etc) and when done with that, add your side walls, be creative when adding sides, add Wall Collesiums or Brace Larges, don't use too much pricey items, like Grids, you normally don't want those because they are way too big. Use Cover Glass (Found in Decorative) to give it that window feel. Use Platforms to put down your Banshee or Falcon, and a Roadway to the island (Or teleporter) for your land vehicles. The doors, I'm pretty creative with them, I would use a Brace Large flipped upside down to give it that door feel, and maybe Column and/or Flag Stand as the door knob. If you want, use a Capture Plate as the welcome sign on the ground in front of the door. Another thing to do is put a shield door on your base (In front where you come in) and use railings (side ways) to spell out a name "Base" or Jail. Pretty cool huh? More to come. Tell me what kinds of bases you like to build. I'll do my best to show you a great way to build it.

RACING MAPS

Racing maps are pretty difficult to make, for them, start off on the Alaska place in Forge World then make the track take off in the sky, use smooth curves, Wall - Wall Double aren't that smooth, so use Blocks, and Rotation Snap on O or 5. If you are going to make a jump, use Ramp Small - Larges. For curving your blocks, you have to get the point just right, so it has no cracks in it, you want the map as smooth as possible. I would not suggest using Brace Larges in racing maps because of the piece under neath it, it doesn't look right when testing your race track. The checkpoints I will get into on Gametype Labeling down below. Please stay tuned 343i, more to come. =D

WAR MAPS

FORGE ONLY MAPS

GAMETYPE SET UP

GAMETYPE LABELING

LIGHTING EFFECTS TO USE

PARKOUR / NINJA MAPS

CORRECT FORGE PIECES

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello 343i members, this is the 1st update i'm doing for this topic. Let me begin by saying thank you for all your thoughts on this. I really appreciate the good reviews and appreciation this site gives. =)

I'm going to be starting more ideas (maybe some you can give) then i'll put it up top, right it in BIG, red letters and below will be the description on how to make it/tips. Give me ideas on what you want to make or what you need help on. I will try my best to answer it in action instead of words. Because I think people actually need to SEE what I write. You can decide if you want me to write it out or do it in Forge with you. Please don't suggest anything from above that is already there, I can help with almost anything in Forge, I used to be a amateur forger but then I started looking into maps and videos and tips, then started to get better. So i'm bringing my tips on to you guys. Invasion Labeling will be coming in a few days, so don't suggest that. ;D

You're the decider on what I should make, so please... SUGGEST AWAY!

(EDITING THE TOPICS AND DOING UPDATES WILL BE FRIDAY, 4-7pm EASTERN TIME)

• Like 1

I'm not trying to put you down at all, but you can't decide where people will spawn if you haven't at least made your general map layout. Just thought I'd say that. Some really vivid and clear advice though! :) -sorry if I made you mad earlier I was just joking

I'm not trying to put you down at all, but you can't decide where people will spawn if you haven't at least made your general map layout. Just thought I'd say that. Some really vivid and clear advice though! :) -sorry if I made you mad earlier I was just joking

I know that, yeah I was typing fast cause I wanted to join you. lol

You should at least know where they are going to spawn.

Like in your base or Initial spawns in the map.

Nice information here, Donut

Im prototype effects at the moment, done something with Colisuem: using the "Juicy" and "Purple" effects to give it a pitch darkness (I mean like wicked dark, can't see s***), Though it dusk-ish outside, give some minor lighting effects (Like use Lights, Power up orbs and change the team colour on the Structure to Blue (best preferred woth the purple effect), it almost gives it the feel of the Vault at the end Assassins Creed: Brotherhood

Looks alright, would recommend giving to a go

• 2 months later...

Yes it is clear that you are a good and real forge fan.

Can you help me i made much infection games but they dont work so teell me what it needs i am speaking about how many respawns and thinks like that if it needs sanutuarys because they are good maps but in when i try to play them the xbox says that the game tipe dont agree with the map so help me

Yes it is clear that you are a good and real forge fan.

Can you help me i made much infection games but they dont work so teell me what it needs i am speaking about how many respawns and thinks like that if it needs sanutuarys because they are good maps but in when i try to play them the xbox says that the game tipe dont agree with the map so help me

Blue team = Infected

Red team = Humans

You also need a Hill Marker named: Inf_Haven. Can be turned off in Gametype editing in custom games lobby.

Hope this helped! :)

I made a forge only map with a map on file share called odst dropship er somthing. Anyways I took half of the dropship base and built a recon route around fw island (forge world island) with a huge base by that small gulf infront of that tunnel in the mountain. I also made a pelican (fake and unusable but a cool prop) with crates and a squirpion to make it look like the ground troops were getting suplies via pelican. Its awesome.