Why I Feel Halo Will Ultimately Move From Console to PC (Permanently)

Melody

So as many of you probably know, with Xbox play anywhere it's now going to be possible to play full versions of future Halo titles on PC. Now why is this so important you may ask? Simply because PCs can effectively stomp console gaming in every shape and form.

Now! If Micro$oft holds true to their word then supposedly EVERY Xbox one game will be available on PC as well, thus more profits for Micro$oft from PC gamers!

a78ae76da19c1a0f9e0e9b2f7e6229e70bd36cf7

​I firmly believe Micro$oft will effectively kill Xbox in the long run with this program because what was once an 'Exclusive' game will now be available to all PC gamers everywhere! SO! Why would anyone want a inferior experience on a console when they can get the best possible experience on a reliable PC for a fraction of the cost of a console and upgradeable options in the future.

Consoles are a dying breed and Micro$oft should turn their attention to their PC fan base, just look at Halo 5: Forge... sure it doesn't have campaign or a REAL matchmaking system but darn it! It's beautiful on the PC and it's common knowledge that games WILL run better on a gaming PC anyway.

Anyway enough about my rant but I'm just about to jump ships once the next Halo game releases on PC.

#MakeHaloGreatAgain

#Halo6PC

Felt like writing more but I'm sleepy so meh.

• Like 3

If thats the case then its effectively forcing people to buy or build a PC.

Obviously, its going to run better and look better on a PC but the difference is, well, minimal. I have personally yet to see any reason why I should bother spending way more than I need to on a gaming PC.

Sure, you can make the arguement of upgradeable options but when a graphics card costs more than a console, I dont see the point. I highly doubt Microsoft will try to kill off the Xbox because its a kind of terrible business plan

• Like 1

All I'm seeing here is PC master race console sux.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages the main one being affordability and reliability, with a console its cheaper and you also don't have to check if you have the right specs and have to upgrade etc just to play a game on PC.

The Xbox platform will not be killed off because of Play Anywhere, thats the whole point its play anywhere not just PC, Microsoft is just giving its consumers more options and freedom on how and where they choose play their games, not restricting the players/consumers which is a good choice. 

Now back to my point about affordability, not everyone has the $ to shell out on a gaming PC most people who have consoles have one because their parents bought them one, you really think an average-earning parent is going to buy their kid a Gaming PC? xD they're not. A gaming PC is extremely pricey unless you know how to build (Which an average parent would not). Consoles are also much more straight forward in how they work etc. PC is more geared towards the people who care about their visuals and have the extra disposable income to spend on it. Your point of PC being more affordable is laughable, if people want to beat "Inferior" console users then they wouldn't be spending $200-$300 USD (roughly what X1 is? idk what it is specifically) to run something better than a console? that amount of money would not allow you to run something like Halo 5. Where I live an X1 is $500, if I want a semi-decent PC I'm looking at over $1,000 and if i wanted to upgrade in the future thats a lot of money on top of that whereas a Console you're good to go until the Console Generation ends in 7ish years from the beginning without having to upgrade and buy new parts.

Now to the point of your entire post, Halo is the flagship Xbox game, people don't buy Xbox for Forza or Gears of War, they buy it for Halo specifically (not currently due to the reception Halo 5 made) making it PC only/primarily wouldn't generate more sales for Microsoft, it'd be quite the opposite because they would be selling less Xbox Hardware (Microsoft doesn't exactly receive the money you spend on your Gaming PC), So why would Microsoft risk a very obvious fall in profits just to make Halo look visually better?

inb4 Twin comes down on me with all his PC knowledge, but once again I am talking about the average gamer so my points still stand.

• Like 1

I think affordable yet underpowered console experiences are essential for Microshrug. Some people are okay buying cheap models of phones, so the same should be said for consoles. It's not like good graphics are the end-all-be-all as it's clear that if a game is able to run on the most convenient hardware then people will still buy it AKA the Nintendo Switch.

The extent of Microsoft's migration to PC I think will only be that Xbox titles will play across all supported Microsoft products: which is what they're already doing with "Play Anywhere". It's just that the consoles will be cheap alternatives to having to go through the effort to build a PC. Everyone knows that PCs are more powerful, but the funds to buy such luxuries do not belong to everyone, so with that mindset Xbox consoles are vindicated.

If they're really going all out with this Play Anywhere thing then exclusives like Halo should play on all appropriate hardware. I think what will be the "catch" going forward is timed exclusivity, you know, a game's development on a certain platform taking longer to finish, so the game releasing on specific platforms earlier than others will generate valid exclusivity: therefore pushing people to buy that hardware just to play the game.

The Xbox Anywhere isn't the ability to play an Xbox game as a port on your PC. All it is, is treaming the Xbox to your PC....you still need an Xbox to play the games.

That aside, childish immature responses such as "PC Masta Race", only further prove the lack of knowledge and capabilities of hardware solitions. The PC platform will always have an advantage over consoles, it's a fact, deal with it. BUT, Melody is not saying that Xbox, PS4, Switch, etc are any less valuable or don't have their place in modern video game culture.

It's become painful to watch how quick people jump all over PC gamers or their views preemptively, just because they see the word "PC" show up in a post. P,ease, leave your misconceptions and inherent lack of understanding at the door.

Back to the point.... Mel was simply pointing out that logistically and financially that Halo is no longer the hardware pusher that is used to be. It has become a stale failed franchise due to the inferior development and handling of the franchise which is largely in part due to Ross, Spencer, and The team leads O'Connor and Wolfkill.

Shifting the franchise to include a PC compiled version (not port, and honestly port isnt the right term anyway as games are developed on PC platforms and development console hardware) is a smart descision and opens up a broader fanbase that has been shunned and forgotten. The capabilities or expansions that could be added to a PC platform title are nearly endless.

As for financials, Microsoft does not make even 1/3 of their quartly/yearly profits from the MGS division. Microsoft still makes more money than anyone with their Windows OS, and Office/Azure Business Solutions.

Hardware requirements are not an issue. Even a basic GTX entry GPU at $100 is far more than enough to play Halo 5 Forge PC. So arguments about gaming rigs and the cost is silly and it all depends on how well you know hardware vs price vs capability. I spent less than $300 upgrading my PC to a GTX 1060ti, 32gb of ram and an AMD FX Octo Core.....surfice to say that my $300 upgrade is now surpassing 2 Xbox Cknsole releases and will continue to outperform consoles for the next likely 5 years.

Please explain where a $300 upgrade is costing more than buying an Xbox One at $249, and then an additional $400+ for a Scorpio.....

Great post Mel, nice to see someone else here lately that isnt blinded by misconception or fear of not being like everyone else with their views!

Edited by Twinreaper
  • Like 2

Xbox Anywhere is for select titles.
The last AAA game to be on Xbox Anywhere is Gears of War 4, that's a year ago.
Microsoft already sorta jumped ship with having AAA games on Xbox Anywhere, as they make a huge profit from e-sports on console.

Jump ship all you want, you'll just end up like the rest: Complaining it's not on PC

Microsoft makes more money by forcing you to play on Console, you pay for their hardware, they get part of the royalty on the game. Simple.

• Like 1

PC will indeed always be stronger and whatnot. Even so I still buy an Xbox for casual gaming and the ease of plug and play.

You buy a game for the console and you know it's gonna work, can't say the same for PC where you'll need to check your specs against the recommendations and then find out you'll need to configure and upgrade or whatnot.

Not that this happens everytime, but there's always doubt.

How about hybrid master race?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I would like to see Halo move to pc, maybe not exclusively but at least an option. I don't think this would kill xbox or other consoles, just open up the Halo world to new audiences. And as for compatibility, idk how intense a Halo game on pc would be, but I doubt it would be so far as to require a $300+ graphics card.