Which AR would you prefer?

shawnk9512

Which AR would you prefer?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer the CE, 3, or Reach AR in Halo 4?

• I would like the Halo CE AR
    • I would like the Halo 3 AR
    • I would like the Reach AR
    • I want a totally new AR for Halo 4 (Post your description)

I prefer to call the Reach AR a confetti maker for a reason, takes too many shots to cut through a grunt let alone an elite, plus has a small magazine, I would prefer the halo ce remake, it was what I had been wanting, it had great range like the original, great power, and the sound was remade to sound genuine, and I'm used to it.

Though I only use the AR as a secondary when there is no time for a reload or it is the given weapon until a battle rifle is found, I feel the weapon should end up with slightly more accuracy and knock down power close range with less ammo in the clip. Assault rifles are not long distance weapons. Weapons need to have distinct differences between their accuracy at distance and rates of fire. The term "AR pro don't ya' know" was always known by me as a joke to those who were unwilling to practice enough on the other weapons to improve their skills.

You guys REALLY need to stop saying "clip", it's called a MAGAZINE! I can't believe the author of Glass lands kept calling it a clip!

Now that I'm done with that, I think the AR in Halo 4 (if there is one) should be the Reach version with a 40 round MAGAZINE and slightly higher damage. Assuming we will be fighting the same type of flood as we did in 1-3, the magazine needs to be larger than 32 rounds. We should also be able to head shot with 2 rounds by lining up on somethings head. This would be difficult to do or else it would be omnipotent. Something I've always wanted in Halo are AP or shredder rounds. Ones that are more rare in the campaign but deal higher damage.

You guys REALLY need to stop saying "clip", it's called a MAGAZINE! I can't believe the author of Glass lands kept calling it a clip!

Now that I'm done with that, I think the AR in Halo 4 (if there is one) should be the Reach version with a 40 round MAGAZINE and slightly higher damage. Assuming we will be fighting the same type of flood as we did in 1-3, the magazine needs to be larger than 32 rounds. We should also be able to head shot with 2 rounds by lining up on somethings head. This would be difficult to do or else it would be omnipotent. Something I've always wanted in Halo are AP or shredder rounds. Ones that are more rare in the campaign but deal higher damage.

i don't think the AR needs different rounds, halo has never had that, so why should halo 4?

I have to agree with Dog on the whole range vs damage perspective. There are fields left unused or altered in a lot of the titles' projectile fields that can easily change what damage modify is used at what range to enemy. basically in a nutshell, the collision detection tells the engine how many world units away the hit target is, and applies the correct amount of damage per range. Definatly a feature that should be implenmented.

After having said that, they do kinda have already a system that takes of that for weapons with single shot spreads. Similar to the shotgun, if you are point blank and all rounds hit you square in the chest, you are killed or either have 1/4 health and no shields. yet at ranges, where some rounds hit you, the damage is less. the same is present for the ASSR. So I guess it's all a matter of how you like to look at it, or how you think it may play different in a good way, to include range modifiers in the damage calculations.

I actually didn't like Reach's Assault Rifle. It takes an extra two bullets to down an enemy compared to the Assault Rifles in previous games and fires a lot slower - an extra second and a half kill time sounds like nothing, but it makes a lot of difference when you're up against someone with almost any other weapon: horribly inaccurate, likely to reliably hit only at shotgun ranges, and it just takes too long to kill anything.

I did like the general feel of it, though. The firing sound and the controller vibrations at least made it feel useful, despite the fact that even on Easy Difficulty it could take more bullets to bring down a Grunt than on Legendary Difficulty on Halo: CE. Feel free to count the bullets and test that out if you don't believe me.

I suppose my perfect Assault Rifle for Halo 4 would be balanced against all the other weapons properly: Halo 3 seemed to get the balance right, as it overpowered the Battle Rifle and Carbine at close-mid range but lost out at mid and above, and was in turn beaten by the SMG at close range: notice how every weapon reliably beats every other weapon when used at its effective range.

That said, I'd like to see it be perhaps as accurate as its Halo 3 counterpart, with maybe one fewer bullets to kill (15) and a larger magazine, perhaps as high as 45, so that a skilled player could down three enemies without needing to reload. Ideally it'd sound like the one found in the original Halo, not the remake: the new one is okay, but the original sounded like Thor was beating down your enemies. Seriously satisfying stuff.

Actually the damage bounds of both the AR in Halo 1, Halo 3 and in Halo Reach are the same. The only difference in the weapons, is that with Halo 2 through Reach, we had an additional field in the damage response tag, that specifies a "lower bounds" damage calculation in addition to the two existing "Min and Max Upper Bounds" fields that we have in all titles. The lower bounds are primarily used for grenades or "High explosive" catagorized weapon damage like frags and Concussion Rifle projectiles. It is still unclear exactly how that field alters the weapons.

For those wondering....here is the breakdown of values from each...

Halo 1:

Damage Upper Bound (Minimum): 10

Damage Upper Bound (Maximum): 10

halo 3 thru Reach:

Damage Upper Bound (Minimum): 3 <-----the amount of damage one can expect on legs and torso

Damage Upper Bound (maximum): 10 <-----the amount of damage you can expect on heads and chests

Damage Lower bound: 0 <-----still unkown effect after tweaking

• Like 1

i voted for the CE AR it feels so powerfull when you pull the trigger and that large clip *sweet baby jezus*. But i guess it will be a little to overpowered in multiplayer :/ so my second is the reach AR

• 2 weeks later...

I would highly doubt they would change much about the AR in halo 4 unless alot of time elapsed before the Master Chief gets back to earth. But personally I like the Halo 3 AR better it feels much better to shoot and I like the style better, so i think they should keep it and maybe tweak it's power and accuracy a bit. :2guns:

The AR I would like would be the one in halo 2, Since there is no AR in h2 then I guess I would not like an AR at all, since it is nooby

And the Battle Rifle isn't? :P The AR isn't always just a nooby "pray 'n' spray" weapon. It can be used in combination with other weapons for some pretty effective results. It's even more effective when you burst fire instead of going full auto at longer ranges.