"Official" Halo Anniversary Thread- Your thoughts

DerpWithAGun

I'll take a shot at this.

<insert Encyclopedia Britannica>

Cheers!! :thumbsup:

What Twin said. :yes

Personally, I'm sitting here in the middle of The Pillar of Autumn, awe-struck. I've yet to get over the sounds more than anything.

The sound and "feel" of the Magnum gives me a nice warm feeling inside… I want it to have my babies.

Also, the AR. Love it! I know it's just my having gotten better over the last decade, but it feels more accurate. Has anyone else noticed something similar?

Anyway, I've fallen in love again for the first time.

My thought to this game when i first got it was, " OH I CANT WAIT TO PLAY SOME ORIGINAL HALO AGAIN!!!! :D " which i did like the campaign only and the new maps. The only thing i didn't like was the " Multiplayer ", i was hoping to play original halo weapons not like Reach "/ i don't really know why DMR's are in this game cuz its first halo, DMR'S didnt existed in halo only in Reach, in original halo 1 BR's was a favorite which i always loved using, i was a huge halo fan but once reach came out and they changed the entire multiplayer gameplay of shields already having at start of play and weapons switched i started becoming a less halo fan of multiplayer. =( i enjoy the classic gamplay choice but at least bring back the original halo weapons not the reach ones. i hope 343 can make HALO 4 as awesome and original story and multiplayer game play as HALO 1,2, and 3 did. please don't ruin the game play it saddens me and a big amount of halo fans who grow to a good game and then just gets ruin =( . 343 please make halo 4 multiplayer game play as halo 3 it would really mean a lot to us and keep halo's history living as it has been before reach came out, don't let it fall from the sky.

I'm a Halo fan, but not a fanboy. Let's start there.

I'm not here to buy a product simply because it says "halo" on the cover. I'm not sure what I had expected from Halo Anniversary, but this is not it at all. This is worse than a disappointment, it's just a poorly re skinned halo CE.

The fact that you slapped a $40 price tag on this insults me. I want my money back.

After seeing 343's attempt at something they thought they could be proud of, I can tell everybody with certainty that I will not pre order halo 4.

Campaign I'd give it a solid 10 out of ten 343 did a great job keeping the classic feeling of Halo alive and they also added new perks that were enjoyable like skulls, terminals, the feature to switch between classic and Updated version, as for the muitplayer i'd probably give it a 7.5 out of 10 mainly because i was hoping for more but all i really got was a reach mutiplayer but with some Halo C.E. maps that didn't really even remind me of the original halo and were watered down, other than that i would give that game a total 8.5 out of 10 its scores good with me mostly because 343 did great with the campaign and it feels right however if u only bought this for mutiplayer u might want to reconsider.

To R3jektus and KPM, the game was meant as a re-skin, as in updated shaders and particle effects. As I said before, you knew well ahead of time what the game was all about. And stop with all this talk about Reach. The new maps that came with it were always slated to be brought to the Reach multiplayer table. The Original CE campiagn in no way shape or form screams Reach. The exact same CE engine is running the campaign, even on the updated graphics mode. As I said before, you should have done your research on the product ahead of time. Sounds like you went out and bought it just because it was labeled as "Halo"...since you read or understood nothing about what was going into the game.

As for your comment about the classic magnum, perhaps you should go back though about oh lets say... the gazillion of 343 interviews and offical posts that described to you exactly, that the classic magnum was going to be a tweaked Reach magnum, so that it delivered the same damage multipliers and firing speed as the halo 1 pistol. What part of the information they supplied did you not understand?

A sad re-skin? really? Do you have any idea how difficult it is to compile a simple shader with proper textures and UVW mapping to make a simple flat stone tablet look good? Can you provide a better 3d model bsp mesh? Who are you to say it's poorly done r3jektus? Are you an industry proffessional with years of on hands game asset creation behind you? Have you ever tried to develop a map for either of the 2 Halo titles they currently have editing kits for? I have been there and done that, and still to this day create content for the Halo 2 pc platform. Doing so, and going thru the many fustrations it presents, made me appriciate more what these talented folks at 343i have put together.

You know, it's pretty sad when when a once great community turn into nothing more than a constant ***** fest. CoD fans don't ***** even a 1/4 as much as I have seen here. And trust me, that replayed Quake engine crap multiplayer game is enough to make even a baby puke...yet here we are.....bitching at every turn a new halo title makes.

The bottom line is, it's easy to come in and straight out hate everything about a game, a true gamer and fan will find aspects of any game to enjoy regardless of it's flaws. I don't think any halo title was perfect at all...I can still find many flaws in the coding, execution of the engine and textures. But I choose not to focus on that, and instead dedicate that hate into trying to enjoy the game more and finding new ways to have fun with it. But if all you ever want in life, is a simple Halo 1 and halo 2 clone...then go back to your xboxes and leave the reast of the perfectly happy and evolving community alone. I think I have said all that is needed to be said, and with that, I end the novels on this topic and humbly pass the torch....

Halo: Anniversary, which is coming bundled with Breakneck and six additional Multiplayer playspaces, will be on a store shelf near you November 15th. According to my extremely precise and detailed calculations, that’s in roughly two months. Before that, though, on September 21st, you’ll be prompted to download a Title Update for Halo: Reach. It’s important to note that you won’t see any perceptible changes in Halo: Reach Matchmaking immediately after the download. In an effort to provide some much needed clarification, here’s a brief timeline of what you can expect in regard to the upcoming Title Update and beta matchmaking playlist:

September 20th

On this day, you will play Halo: Reach. You will lose a few games, primarily because of the jerkface that took the sniper and sent the bullets whizzing by the heads of your enemies, instead of directly through them.

September 21st

On this day, when logging into Halo: Reach, you will be prompted to download the Title Update. You’ll start playing, notice nothing seems different, and then recall that I said, in this here Bulletin as a matter of fact, “You won’t see any perceptible changes in Halo: Reach Matchmaking immediately after the download.” The majority of players will only complete the first two steps, though. Curses.

October 3rd

‘Twas the night before the Beta Hopper, when all through the game, not a creature was stirring, even the Gúta were tame. The AAs were hung on the selection screen with care, in hopes that the hopper soon would be there. The Spartans were nestled all snug in their beds, while visions of zero bloom danced in their heads…

October 4th

On this day, you will log into Halo: Reach and immediately notice—assuming you’re the observant type—a brand spankin’ new playlist. Changes will be isolated to that one particular area, so should you want some Vanilla Reach, you will simply access your regularly frequented playlists. Should you want a new flavor, though, I recommend diving directly into the beta matchmaking hopper. This 4v4 playlist will feature both Slayer and Objective gametypes, with DLC maps being optional. In an effort to provide an environment conducive to soliciting Title Update-specific feedback, all Objective gametypes will have DMR starts. Throughout the time this playlist is active, we’ll be watching not only the decisions you make in Matchmaking, but also the thoughts and opinions you leave in our forum. And it’s with that data that we’ll continue crafting the best possible playing experience for you and your Halo-loving buddies.

Here are the specifics of the beta matchmaking playlist, if you’d like to drill further down. Please note all gametypes utilize 85% bloom (unless otherwise noted) with all the Title Update changes implemented—minus the addition of the Combat Evolved Magnum. It’s also worth noting this hopper is not intended to represent the makeup and content of the non-beta hoppers, and that all things are as ever, subject to change based on test data and numerous other super-secret and highly scientific factors—a few such things being whether or not the sun is shining and if Frankie has facial hair that day. (Just kidding, by the way. Well, for the former at least.)

You quite obviously do not know what bloom is. Bloom in the case tyou are referring to....is simply the reticule expanding and contracting to show you where the shots of a percision weapon land. The true definition of bloom is, the area or distance in which the firing spread of your weapon increases with shots fired in conssession rather than pacing. There is a little vlaue in the weap tag that controls how much time must pass before the firing spread area comes to rest at 0. As you spam the trigger, the area in which shots land increases. This is not controlled or dictated in any way by the little HUD reticule you and many other believe to be controlling the "bloom" you hate so much. Firing spread has been on every weapon in halo.

To be more specific about the TU, they used a Megaloscript script to alter 7 weapon value floats in memory to nullify the HUD reticule, and increase increase rate of fire, damage tables, firing spread, error cone, error angles etc.... and the AA attributes.

I ike how you fail to post who you are taking those quotes from, and the site. Care to link them for everyone?

18:04 into this video from PAX with the main leads of CEA... they clearly explain that it is the Reach magazine and weapon with tweaks made to it. Here's a link so you can watch it... http://halo.xbox.com...0a-a1f59b5e42f0

In fact if you ever watched any of the videos or read any of the official published work in regards to CEA, you wouldn't be raging about wasting $40 to begin with...which is my main point.

Also note that at 34:53 in the same link, you can hear the team answer a bloom question, and they tell you by explanation of what bloom adjusting is, how it works.

If your going to properly try to argue me on the technical game egnine standpoints of Blam!, it's best to know your stuff and have links to official actual words out of the developers mouth, before you take me on. Point proven I believe?

Oh btw, as a final sedn off...what exactly in your post about "read the lies" was not accurate? everything in that post was actually what happened or hit close to what was actually going on. I cannot see how that "lie" in anyway misled you at all. Care to explain it? Or are you content with being a 5 post troll, got spanked and will now move along?

So I need some help. I think what many people were looking for in CEA multiplayer was CE, graphics updated and live enabled. 343i said that was not really possible due to time/cost constraints, and I don't know much about programming, so I am sure that what they said is true. I understand that they also did not want to fracture the reach fanbase (though it could be argued that they are totally different sets anyways) but the best part about CE was that you had to do lan parties to play...you actually knew they people you were playing with.

What I was hoping for was that they would allow us to make custom games that had a set of options that replicated the original CE engine to the best of reach's ability. If anyone has figured out what to set the base player traits to for this let me know, I have the following now and its not quite right. This was done with two tvs next to each other, one with a copy of CE and one with a copy of CEA. I know not everything was ported perfectly to the specs of CE, but we tried to take that into account.

speed: 100%

jump: 90%

gravity: 75%

(You cannot make single percentile changes either, or I would be able to get it spot on.)

Also, in a custom game you cannot have access to the 'CE pistol,' there is not an option to put it in the game. I might have missed it, but I looked pretty hard. This is silly. There should be a setting for putting the CE physics (to feel as close to CE as reach can get) and the reach 3-shot CE pistol into custom games. I am not asking you to rewrite the world, just make a quick option set. Maybe there is a good reason for this, but the people who bought CEA for multiplayer with their old college buddies who live all over the place sure would appreciate it :)

There is a very good reason why they did not leave bloom adjustments up to custom matches and individuals. Giving the community a control set as advnaced as "bloom", has a wide variety or mechnaics behind it, it isn't just simply adjusting 1 number, and it works. There were a total of 7..maybe more...actual value tweaks that went into it to achieve what they gave us in the playlist. Aloowing us to make those same changes would have required 343 to give the community direct access to a GUI capable of displaying raw tag data. The gametypes themselves are loaded into memory on all consoles when playing a match. Simply being host and making changes like that ina custom game, would rather erwquire you to publish a forge variant and dustribute it to your friends. memory edited game data does not get synced accross clients at all. It is simply a buffer to allow quicker loading and unloading of assets. That is why have dedicated playlists to have this feature.

As for physics, that is a completely different ball park. You cannot simply just go into the base engine and nullify physics without breaking the havok portion of the engine code. To adjust the physics and collision detections down to the CE level would have required 343 to take away, or roll back physic and collision assets, which as i said, would have broken the code. This also would have not allowed the variant of Blam! with CEA to communicate properly with all Reach community players. I hope this wasn't too technical or hard to understand.

• Like 1

First off, I would like to see this thread stay as a member offering of their impressions of playing Halo CE Anniversary. There will be those who may be misinformed, using improper definitions or not liking the game. Let this be a thread that exists minus the arguments and debate of members and just be your posting of your thoughts.

For me.....FRIGGIN' AWESOME MAN!

Campaign:

When the intro began with the music and lead video I was completely transported back ten years to when I sat with my young nephews as the showed me this game for the first time. Did I mention the music? The graphics overlay was superb in every way. I remember now that tactile tingling and goose bumps I used to get when I started the game each time. I have yet to finish the campaign and intend to stay away from the Easter Egg and Skull Location threads, but am looking forward to spending hours upon hours reliving the best campaign in the Halo series!

Match Making:

I only played one game as of yet, I did lag out of a game in Hang em High Classic, but it was really intense. The Magnum was a beast and a half. I was getting shredded from across the map easily. I will have to seriously adjust my playing style in order to be competitive in that game type.

Did I mention the music?

My thought to this game when i first got it was, " OH I CANT WAIT TO PLAY SOME ORIGINAL HALO AGAIN!!!! :D " which i did like the campaign only and the new maps. The only thing i didn't like was the " Multiplayer ", i was hoping to play original halo weapons not like Reach "/ i don't really know why DMR's are in this game cuz its first halo, DMR'S didnt existed in halo only in Reach, in original halo 1 BR's was a favorite which i always loved using, i was a huge halo fan but once reach came out and they changed the entire multiplayer gameplay of shields already having at start of play and weapons switched i started becoming a less halo fan of multiplayer. =( i enjoy the classic gamplay choice but at least bring back the original halo weapons not the reach ones. i hope 343 can make HALO 4 as awesome and original story and multiplayer game play as HALO 1,2, and 3 did. please don't ruin the game play it saddens me and a big amount of halo fans who grow to a good game and then just gets ruin =( . 343 please make halo 4 multiplayer game play as halo 3 it would really mean a lot to us and keep halo's history living as it has been before reach came out, don't let it fall from the sky.

The BR wasn't in the original Halo, nice try though. I can also barely understand anything that you're saying.

There is a very good reason why they did not leave bloom adjustments up to custom matches and individuals. Giving the community a control set as advnaced as "bloom", has a wide variety or mechnaics behind it, it isn't just simply adjusting 1 number, and it works. There were a total of 7..maybe more...actual value tweaks that went into it to achieve what they gave us in the playlist. Aloowing us to make those same changes would have required 343 to give the community direct access to a GUI capable of displaying raw tag data. The gametypes themselves are loaded into memory on all consoles when playing a match. Simply being host and making changes like that ina custom game, would rather erwquire you to publish a forge variant and dustribute it to your friends. memory edited game data does not get synced accross clients at all. It is simply a buffer to allow quicker loading and unloading of assets. That is why have dedicated playlists to have this feature.

As for physics, that is a completely different ball park. You cannot simply just go into the base engine and nullify physics without breaking the havok portion of the engine code. To adjust the physics and collision detections down to the CE level would have required 343 to take away, or roll back physic and collision assets, which as i said, would have broken the code. This also would have not allowed the variant of Blam! with CEA to communicate properly with all Reach community players. I hope this wasn't too technical or hard to understand.

I don't think you are understanding what I am asking for. There is a percentage difference for movement speed, jump height and gravity that, when changed in a custom game variant in CEA, would make it feel like CE. There already is a way to change this in the forge for custom games, but it is too limited to actually fine tune it. I am simply asking for more wiggle room. I also never asked to change bloom. If the CE/reach pistol is on a playlist, I want to be able to use it in a custom game. All of this is super simple because it already exists in CEA, I just want to have access to it for custom games. Again, super simple.

So I need some help. I think what many people were looking for in CEA multiplayer was CE, graphics updated and live enabled. 343i said that was not really possible due to time/cost constraints, and I don't know much about programming, so I am sure that what they said is true. I understand that they also did not want to fracture the reach fanbase (though it could be argued that they are totally different sets anyways) but the best part about CE was that you had to do lan parties to play...you actually knew they people you were playing with.

What I was hoping for was that they would allow us to make custom games that had a set of options that replicated the original CE engine to the best of reach's ability. If anyone has figured out what to set the base player traits to for this let me know, I have the following now and its not quite right. This was done with two tvs next to each other, one with a copy of CE and one with a copy of CEA. I know not everything was ported perfectly to the specs of CE, but we tried to take that into account.

speed: 100%

jump: 90%

gravity: 75%

(You cannot make single percentile changes either, or I would be able to get it spot on.)

Also, in a custom game you cannot have access to the 'CE pistol,' there is not an option to put it in the game. I might have missed it, but I looked pretty hard. This is silly. There should be a setting for putting the CE physics (to feel as close to CE as reach can get) and the reach 3-shot CE pistol into custom games. I am not asking you to rewrite the world, just make a quick option set. Maybe there is a good reason for this, but the people who bought CEA for multiplayer with their old college buddies who live all over the place sure would appreciate it :)

Yes please! If you can't put it in for matchmaking cause you don't want to mess up the reach feel then please give us the option to enjoy it in custom games. This would make me and many many more very happy. You can still save halo CEA with this update. Great Idea here.

Also for custom games under player options add something where you can choose to turn bloom on or off, I'm sure it can be done as it is available in the TU beta playlist. Simple change, great outcome.

• Like 1

My bad bro. I thought you were asking for worlds to explode there for sec.... But to answer that simply, yes they could very well release the variant gametype, but even as I type this, I am unsure if the gametypes for 'classic" CEA, are built in gametypes. They may be just gametypes on a server end, and when you guys all go into it, it loads the gametype to memory allocation for the host it selects. I guess we could ask them and find out? Who knows, perhaps they will give it to us for christmas....?

And yes, I hear with the wiggle room. it does bother me that they choose to round things they way they did. We really would be betteroff, and be able to make picture perfect forgings with being able to adjust to the smallest decimal.

But just fair warning, just because an asset is present in the game, does not make it easy to use in a mass multiplayer environment, nor does it make it easy to re-script it to do a completely different thing. What everyone sees a simple TU update, I see as 3 months of planning, and an additional 2 months of re-coding, thern another 2 months of bug work and fixes.

• Like 1

No worries man. Like I said when I started, I don't know much about game dev time, coding, etc. GImme the wiggle room and the pistol in custom and its game on. If I have to tell my friends what to do so that they can create them too and we can all rock together that is fine.

Take up the cause dude! You're member of the month!

the BR wasnt in halo ce, only halo 2