GT: CaptainDireWolf
*CUSTOM GAMETYPE: "Sea Monsters"
*2-16 players

“Call me Ishmael.” - Herman Melville

Now that Tidal finally works again it's time for me to release... a gigantic, white whale named MobyDick who is wrecking havoc on all the ships of the sea!

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

Hopefully some of you kids have read or heard about the legendary tale of MobyDick. If not, here's the gist of the story which you can now reenact:

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

According to legend, Captain Ahab lost his leg to a monstrous white sperm whale during one of his voyages. The Captain has brought you and several other sailors with him this time to attempt to finish the job and kill MobyDick once and for all. You arrive on the whaler ship named the Pequod in search of your host, but alas, the great whale has snuck up and destroyed your ship yet again! Now you must survive on your little row boats until help arrives! Don't be whale lunch... oh and watch out for sharks and other dangerous monsters lurking in the deep... including the Lochness monster, the Kracken, a giant eel, and a rock sea serpent.

The Rules:

- There is a single alpha infected at the start of the match, who gets to drive and control the whale (yee-haw). His or hers goal is to have the whale swim around gobble up any of the survivors from your previous attack on their vessel in order to happily go back to relaxing in your peaceful sea.

- The survivors (humans) are simply trying to stay alive for the time limit (SOS) before help arrives to airlift them out of there and out of danger.

- Once a survivor is eaten by the whale and travels down his gullet, they become sharks (they are simply infected who can swim in the water), which provides another danger to watch out for.

- I made it so the infected can do very little damage, but can spartan charge (kind of like a shark charging a boat to try and flip it and its passengers, or at least slow it down for their whale friend to eat the people up).

- IMPORTANT TIP: It is highly recommended to have a side passenger in each boat so they can shoot the sharks and keep them out of your boat! Also, there are only 10 lifeboats to spare so don't get left behind!

As always, I'd appreciate any helpful feedback to make it more of an enjoyable experience for people. I'd especially like to get feedback on the gametype and best traits for the survivors and infected. Thanks and hope you enjoy! Cheers!

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

Your final view before being eaten alive by the whale...

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

• Like 6

@Zandril

Solid point. Though players are only teleported if they are the driver, so people have a chance to get in before being teleported. Half of the boats are oriented so that the passenger seat faces people when they spawn so hopefully people figure out after a round that its beneficial to have their friends in the passenger seat to shoot the infected sharks rather than running off without them. People will have to work together and talk to each other in order to survive haha.

The weird thing that I found out about teleporting vehicles (and maybe I'm just missing out how to fix this with the teleporters in forge), but the vehicles will teleport in the direction that you want (setting the receiver to fixed), however the people inside the vehicle will look in the direction that they were before teleporting, which makes things kinda awkward when they show up in the arena looking in another direction compared to their vehicle. That's why I oriented the vehicles the way I did, but you're right that it might lead to some confusion in the beginning with people just getting in the drivers side and leaving their friends for dead. Sucks to suck. However, let me know if there's a better orientation for the boats to face to make it easier for people to understand which side to get in on, as I might be able to shift the layout so the boats are in front of everyone (and hopefully people grasp driver is typically on left and passenger is on right).

- So I've made major updates to the map. Tested it with only one other person and it seems to play okay, i.e. you can now successfully drive the whale with my custom gametype "Sea Monsters". (Stupid basic infection parameters apparently really F'ed with the blocker type in my first map draft, so I threw away the shark concept to make this map work) Instead I changed it so once you are infected (eaten by the whale) you become part of a pack of angry *** seagulls, i.e. infected spawn in the sky and try to ground pound any surviving people to help with their good whale friend Moby ****.

- I remade the boats, by removing some irritating pieces on the bottom of the lifeboats that were causing them to glitch out. Additionally, I changed it so there is no teleport of the boats because it caused a ton of issues. Instead the humans and boats spawn in the arena, which is much simpler.

- I changed the name of the map to "MobyDick" in case you bookmarked the bad older version.

- Let me know of any additional changes you'd like me to make to improve the experience of this map so it's feature worthy ;)

@Zandril

• Like 2

Got to play this with 12 players today. Haven't yet tried its stability with 16(have you?)

- Biggest issue at the moment is the Whale flipping about. http://xboxclips.com/Zandril%20S312/f4833f6b-2528-4707-a90f-c4bceb4c36f6

- I don't like that people who respawn as "seagulls" are pretty much doomed to die. A guaranteed death is never really a good idea. They should have some sort of "break". The way it's set up now, they respawn in the air no matter what and whether they ground pound or not, they fall to their death. The ground pound should be a choice for the players. Not to mention that players who are unfamiliar with the map won't know that they have to ground pound so they'll just be confused that they're falling to their death.

My idea is that people respawn at an elevated level where they can plan their ground pound down to the remaining survivors. Then there can be a teleporter that sends those who miss back at the platform(since apparently, you can ground pound through teleporters). Just an idea. Not sure how it fits with the map's current set-up.

This version was a huge improvement over the last. It was awesome to be able to actually drive the boats, dodge the whale, and just watch the giant monstrosity chase people around. Hope you can fix the current issues :)

Got to play this with 12 players today. Haven't yet tried its stability with 16(have you?)

- Biggest issue at the moment is the Whale flipping about. http://xboxclips.com/Zandril%20S312/f4833f6b-2528-4707-a90f-c4bceb4c36f6

- I don't like that people who respawn as "seagulls" are pretty much doomed to die. A guaranteed death is never really a good idea. They should have some sort of "break". The way it's set up now, they respawn in the air no matter what and whether they ground pound or not, they fall to their death. The ground pound should be a choice for the players. Not to mention that players who are unfamiliar with the map won't know that they have to ground pound so they'll just be confused that they're falling to their death.

My idea is that people respawn at an elevated level where they can plan their ground pound down to the remaining survivors. Then there can be a teleporter that sends those who miss back at the platform(since apparently, you can ground pound through teleporters). Just an idea. Not sure how it fits with the map's current set-up.

This version was a huge improvement over the last. It was awesome to be able to actually drive the boats, dodge the whale, and just watch the giant monstrosity chase people around. Hope you can fix the current issues :)

Bahaha that clip looked ridiculous. Alright will try to stabilize the whale more. Not sure if what blue spartan will help as i believe the issue deals with the huge "moment arm" or pendulum if you will, created by welding the warthog to the whale. I'll try to counterbalance it or move the warthog somewhere else. I'll let you know if I fix the issue.

The seagulls teleporting instead of dying is a good idea, though putting a teleporter right at the waters edge might be difficult in that it may not go deep enough for the seagulls to ground pound and not die, as ground pounding sometimes is too fast for the teleporter to pick up. Though I'll give it a shot or figure out another work around. Maybe I could change the respawn time to instant so it doesn't feel so bad...

Maybe I could change the respawn time to instant so it doesn't feel so bad...

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

A guaranteed death is never really a good idea.

It doesn't even have to be the seagulls concept. Could be something else entirely that doesn't have guaranteed deaths.

• Like 2

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

It doesn't even have to be the seagulls concept. Could be something else entirely that doesn't have guaranteed deaths.

Loved the meme. Conveyed your thoughts perfectly. Well I've officially updated the map again and I believe this time I may have it! The invisible barriers are the bane of my existence when used in infection gamemodes apparently. Anyways, here are the changes:

- Moved the warthog driving the whale down behind/below it so that the whale moved about like its supposed to.

- Added barrels underneath to counter the swinging momentum, however I found out that no matter what I do, the barriers below become slightly offset in customs (another son of a b*&^$ moments for me), so there are slight bumps when driving... which kinda feels like riding over waves I supposes. Oh well.

- Made it so the infected become sharks like they were originally supposed to as I was able to move the barriers around. Looking for input on beginning traits for them as I thought it would be cool for them not to jump or do any damage per se, but move rather fast and spartan charge kinda like a shark does when headbutting so that they can slow down the boats.

Appreciate any feedback you guys have. I TRULY appreciate you guys playing this damn game over and over again waiting for it to actually be fun lol. Thanks.

if you make an invisible barrier under the map and have objects welded to the whale under it, you can essentially lock the whale to water level

And thank you Blue spartan for the tip of the barrels. That really helped!

• Like 1

Alright... now that you probably don't want to feature this sucker after so many changes to get it working, I think I have it.

- Whale doesn't flip anymore. It drives smoothly.

- Infected don't randomly fall into oblivion and die forever. Apparently blockers disappear in customs if you put them too far below the water's surface... Fixed that ****.

- Boats drive well. There are only 10 of them as I'm always afraid of the game crashing if I add more welded vehicles, but I think it works out well if people figure out by the second round to jump into the boats together so that the passenger can help kill the infected that try to jump in their boat.

- Certainly willing to change up infected/survivor traits and weapons based on your preferences after testing it. Let me know if there are any other stupid bugs that I might've missed too and I'll work to fix it to get this puppy up and purring like a kitten. Thanks again for enduring the frustration of testing it.

-CDW

Ran into an issue with it today but I'm not sure if it's the map's fault or if it's just Halo 5 being Halo 5. There were 11 of us in the lobby but only about 5 people actually spawned in the map. Everyone just had an X on their nameplate and just sat there spectating. No one joined in progress or anything. Something similar happened to Comedy's minigame when we were with Sean Labs so it might not be you.

Still, I suggest you check on the map's initial spawns to be safe. I'll try the map again this weekend.

Now I don't know much about forging or testing or anything really, but every single map you've posted here has been ridiculously fun. This one is probably my favorite right now because it's so... IT HAS A GIANT WHALE.

Glad to keep seeing your content come on site it's really cool.

• Like 1

@Zandril

Raised the whale up a little bit more to fix the issue of it getting stuck on the bottom grid. Just played it with 8 people (Mr. Pokephile and Comedy included) and it ran rather smoothly. No issues for that match, so let me know if you encounter anything unusual in the future. Cheers.

Testing it in my lobby tonight at 8pm EST. You should try to come so you can see your map in action. You'll also see the issues(if there are any) in person :)

I know it's already been submitted a while ago, but I just thought you should know, I updated the map and officially fixed the whale getting stuck on the bottom grid by removing it entirely and lowering the whale so he is submerged as he should be. I removed the shark concept and made it so that the infected are simply pirates on the pirate ship nearby shooting at the remaining boats. He can still occasionally get stuck on the boats themselves if people jump out of them or something, but he can easily be backed up to continue the rampage without breaking the game. Anyways, on to the next map! ;)