The Semi Weekly Site Poll 25

Caboose The Ace

Welcome one and all for the latest edtion of the Semi Weekly Site Poll!
Now then, without further delays here it is......

36820.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

This weeks question should require little explanation. As it is quite open ended and requires little context. It is also not really a poll related question. So anyway here is this weeks question. I hope you enjoy.

Why did you get into gaming for?

​As always voting ends on February 9th 2016. If you have any suggestions or criticism, feel free to pm me.
Happy voting, your ever loyal Stormtrooper of the First Order TR-8R out! And stay loyal you pesky traitors! :)

Edited by TR_8R
  • Like 1

Do you mean "Why did you get into gaming?" or "What did you get into gaming for?"

In any case, I started out with the NES my parents had in the day with a black box full of cartridges. Mario, Duck Hunt, Zelda... all that good stuff. Though I understood very little of what I was actually doing with most games, I spend hours on that thing.

Then, when I was about 8 my friend got a classic Xbox with *drumroll* Halo: Combat Evolved. And although I was hesitant playing with him, I did enjoy watching him play. And after some time I started playing co-op with him. Then he got Halo 2 and I got my own classic Xbox with Halo 2. But it wasn't untill late Halo 3 where I got my own Xbox 360 with an internet connection (before this I always played online as a guest at my friends house, and with my guest account I always had the top of the scoreboard. Which was pretty funny and raised some eyebrows on the enemy team on occasion).

Anyway, late Halo 3 is where I got into online gaming on the Xbox. I did play some cracked versions of COD 4 and a legit version of MW2 for a bit on the PC before Halo 3.

I loved the idea of actually competing with actual people online and I still love that idea to this day.

• Like 1

It came to me at an early age.

Here's my gaming history for perspective:

In chronological order for consoles / other devices I played, but did not own. The games listed are the ones I remember playing the most on the consoles / handhelds / other, but they're not all the ones I interacted with. The games are in no particular order: 

NES or SNES - Pre-Early 2000s

• Cousin's 
  • Super Mario World
  • Unknown status. High chance it was sold

PS1 - Early 2000s

• Great uncle's
  • Tekken ?, Parappa The Rapper
  • Destroyed by a heater

PS1 or 2 - Early 2000s

• Other Great Uncle's
  • Dex, Twisted Metal
  • Still at his house gathering dust

Xbox - First time I played any Halo game - Early 2000s

• Friend's
  • Halo 2
  • Unknown status

Various PCs

• Family
  • Extremely extensive. Includes Zuma / Zuma's Revenge, Plants Vs Zombies, Yugioh: Power of Chaos - Yugi The Destiny, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Speedy Eggbert, Quake III: Arena, Nazi Zombies Portable, Minecraft
  • Destroyed, in storage, sold, being reused

Wii

• Great Uncle's
  • Wii Sports
  • Still at his house gathering dust

Wii

• Brother's
  • Extensive. Includes Super Smash Bros Brawl, The Ledgend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, and Resident Evil 4, Dead Space: Extraction, House Of The Dead: Overkill, The Conduit, DeBlob
  • Unknown status. Presumably sold

Xbox 360

• Other Friend's 
  • Ninja Gaiden 2 / Sigma?, BULLY, and Left 4 Dead
  • Presumably still at his house

Xbox 360 - First time I played Halo 3, and before I got my first Xbox 360 - 2007-2008?

• Other-Other Friend's
  • Halo 3
  • Unknown status

Nintendo DSi / DSi XL / 3DS

• Brother's
  • Cannot remember
  • First was lost, second & third were sold

PS3

• Brother's
  • LittleBigPlanet 2, Fallout 3, Jetpack Joyride, Tokyo Jungle
  • In his room ready to use

PS4 

• Brother's
  • Middle Earth: Shadow Of Mordor, Rocket League
  • In his room ready to use

Consoles / Hand-helds I either owned, or had dual ownership of with my brother:

Nintendo 64 - First Console - Early 2000s

• Me, and my Brother's
  • Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Glover, Turok, Pokemon SNAP
  • Unknown status. Presumably destroyed, or lost

Playstation 2 - Early 2000s

• Me, and my Brother's
  • Gun ?, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  • Unknown status. Presumably sold, or lost

Nintendo Gamecube - Early-Mid 2000s

• Me, and my Brother's
  • Extensive. Includes Metroid PRIME 1 Demo, Rampage, Gauntlet, Super Smash Bros Melee, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Mario Party ??, Pokemon Colosseum
  • Unknown status. Presumably destroyed, sold, or lost

GameBoy, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Advance SP, GameBoy Micro - Mid 2000s

• Me, and my Brother's
  • Extensive. Includes Tak & The Power of Juju, Pokemon Yellow / Gold / Silver / Red / Blue / Leaf-Green / Fire-Red / Sapphire / Ruby / Emerald, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, Donkey Kong Country ?, Worms ?
  • Unknown status. All of them are presumably destroyed, sold, or lost

Nintendo DS - Mid 2000s

• Me, and my Brother's
  • Ninten-Dogs
  • Unknown status. Presumably sold, or lost

Xbox - Mid 2000s

• Mine
  • Extremely extensive. Includes Star Wars Battlefront 2, Doom 3, Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Goldeneye: Rogue Agent, Star Wars: Republic Commando, Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Need For Speed: Underground, The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Medal of Honor: Frontline / Rising Sun, Destroy All Humans ?
  • Given to my step-father's family in Mexico

Xbox 360 - Pre 2009?

• Mine
  • Extensive. Includes Halo 3 & Rainbow Six Vegas 2
  • Red-Ringed, and destroyed

Playstation 3 (PSN) - 2009-Summer 2011?

• Mine
  • Extensive. Includes LittleBigPlanet 1 / 2, Resistance 2, Fallout 3 / New Vegas, Guitar Hero World Tour / V, The Orange Box / Portal / Half Life 2, Army of Two, Call of Duty: World At War / Black Ops,  and Rainbow Six Vegas 2
  • Destroyed

Xbox 360 S (Live) - Summer 2011-Now

• Mine
  • Extremely extensive. Includes, Fallout 3 / New Vegas, Gears of War 1 / 2 / 3 / Judgement, Halo: Reach / Wars / ODST / 4, Batman: Arkham Asylum / City / Origins, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 / Black Ops / Black Ops 2 / etc, Resident Evil 5, Dead Space 1 / 2 / 3, Saints Row III / IV, Left 4 Dead 1 / 2, Skyrim
  • Ready to be used at will

Laptop - Summer 2014-Now

• Mine
  • Yugioh: Power of Chaos - Yugi The Destiny / Kaiba The Revenge / Joey The Passion, Steins;Gate Visual Novel, Undertale
  • Using it right now

Xbox One (Live) - Autumn 2014-Now

• Mine
  • Extensive. Includes Fallout 4, MGSV: Phantom Pain, Batman: Arkham Knight, and Halo 5 / MCC
  • Ready to be used at will

Willingly, I did not enter. The gaming life chose me. Playing video games during my "developmental years" (I mean in my pre-teens to teens. My mind being the late bloomer it is was like an ever changing Salvador Dali painting: up until only a few years ago in fact) altered me, and led me on the path to who I am as a gamer & a person.

In response to the question of WHY I started gaming... I don't really know. I did not enter with any intelligent thought or desire, but as time passed my reason for doing it was because I enjoyed it. It was a medium for myself and my friends to interact in: especially for LANs, or slumber-parties. The kids who never had anything interesting going on in their lives could use the game as a way to let themselves go / make conversation, like myself.

As the saturation increased the reasoning for my involvement began to deepen. It was no longer some weekend party with the boys... it was my stress reliever. My escape from reality. A place where only I was a denizen. A way for me to immerse myself in vibrant and desolate realities as I saw fit. This change came as I grew distant from others. It wasn't like I was doing it without protest. Not being a country folk, a delinquent, or a "prep" will exclude you from everything where I live.

I was always a loner, and the lifestyle of all my friends & family were not appealing to me at all. Gaming you could say exacerbated the problem, and enabled my introvertedness. I was the cliche kid who sat at home playing video games like Halo 3 all day instead of going outside... and I don't regret it one bit. I wouldn't give up the experiences I've had gaming for anything.

So there you have it. Give me my A+ already.

Edited by Self Destruct
  • Like 1

If it weren't for my brothers, there's a good chance I wouldn't be a part of this community today. They were the first ones to bring video games into the house back in the 90's, and then passed the controller to me. And although the controller changed shape over the years, I never dropped it. I started with the NES, N64 (we completely skipped the SNES!), and Gameboy Advance. Now my 3DS, Wii U, and Xbox One are keeping me entertained (and perhaps sane). :hrhr:

I feel kinda bad, though, because I went from being the punching bag to the puncher. Nowadays, they're lucky to even take one or two of my stocks in Smash Bros, or beat me at Mario Kart. That's not to say I liked being the whipping boy, but they were a lot tougher back then! :P

I guess, to answer the main question here, what made me start playing video games was curiosity about the experience. Or as I probably thought back when I was 6, "wow that looks like fun! Can I try?"

And just like that, there's post #666. D:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...