Halo 5 November community update

Halo 5 November community update

warzone-spartans-community_update_26-06-

Halo 5 is already almost 2 weeks old, it's time for an update!

As you may have noticed, Halo 5 has had an update. Not only is the weekly playlist, shotty snipers, available for the weekend but we also get some updates to the playlists and game itself.

One of the updates is the removal of the 'Orion' map from all playlists. Don't fret, it will be back! It has been pulled from matchmaking temporarily to fix some of the bugs and glitches. Including, but not limited to, spawning and the issue where people would get banned for suicides for trying and failing to get to the DMG boost. In place of this we get a total 15 more map gametype combinations which I'll list down here:

Team Arena

Breakout

• Trident

Slayer

• Regret

CTF

• Empire

Strongholds

• Plaza

Slayer

• Truth
  • Empire
  • Pegasus

Swat

• Empire
  • Fathom
  • Coliseum
  • Truth

FFA

• Empire
  • Fathom
  • Coliseum
  • Truth

Additional matchmaking fixes include the removal of the "One or more members in your Fireteam has a high latency to the dedicated server" error and expanded parameters for the Warzone matchmaking system which allows international players to find matches quicker and easier. 343i is still working on the last fix and has let us know that they did see improvement in Warzone search times but need some more time to check if it doesn't interfere with anything else, so they've pulled the changes for a bit untill they're sure no other problems are caused.

We also got a little sneak peak at some additional REQs that will roll November 16th. In the upcoming weeks 343i will fill in the blacked out REQ cards below:

req_01-973fa01bacb04744a040d105628f5183.

So keep your eyes on their blog :D

Additionally 343i's Lead Sandbox Designer for Halo 5 Chris King and Scott Sims acknowledge the issues with the aiming mechanics within Halo 5. They've written a nice little piece which I'll paste below:

"Hey everyone – Chris King (Halo 5 - Lead Sandbox Designer) and Scott Sims (Halo 5 – Lead Sandbox Engineer) here. Thank you all for your passionate feedback on Halo 5, the team has been actively following as much as we can and have identified one issue we really wanted to respond to.

First things first, in the grand scheme of things, this is happening to a small number of people. Most folks are having a good experience and the last thing we want to do is inject either placebo effect or confirmation bias into your gameplay feel, so bear that in mind if you’re having no issues, and just enjoy the dry but interesting technical data. But this is good news for those who are suffering.

Aiming is the core of any first person shooter experience, and the way Halo controls is key to making Halo, Halo. Weapon aiming is a complex subject and something that the sandbox team obsesses over every day. There are a huge number of factors that feed into the feel of aiming, be it controller hardware, acceleration curves, turn speeds, player movement speeds, aim assist, or weapon fire rates.

When we started development on Halo 5 we had some very specific goals with regards to aiming. We wanted to provide a best in class 60fps shooter experience, embracing competitive play, with an increased skill gap, while still retaining the essence of Halo.

To preserve that Halo feel we chose not to re-write any of our base control systems, but instead to perform targeted retunes to balance for the higher framerate and myriad of other changes made to our movement and weapon systems.

Throughout the project we have worked hand in hand with the 343 Pro team, Microsoft User Research, and test teams and of course absorbed the awesome feedback from the Halo 5 Beta to tune and validate our control systems to what we believe to be the sweet spot for fine control with fast turn speed across all aiming ranges, on all weapon types.

Players have identified that, by design, the game is a shade “harder” than it used to be, but we are seeing players adjusting to the new speed and precision pretty quickly.

Unfortunately, some players have identified an issue that occurs due to variance in controller hardware, commonly referred to as “slow turn” bug. This can cause players to become unable to, or inconsistently reach what we call a “pegged” state.

The “pegged” state is a region in the outermost range of the analog aim stick in which we blend the players turn speed to a much faster rate. This issue is compounded as the control input fluctuates depending on multiple factors - if you are applying even the slightest bit of downward pressure (clenching), moving the stick around the edges a bit (which is why it’s even more problematic when aiming diagonally), or torqueing the stick on the edge a bit more than normal on some controllers.

The good news is we have a fix for this issue that introduces no perceivable change to the current feel of the game. This change is going through test and pro team validation now and we will have it out to you soon.

One thing that has become clear in absorbing all your feedback is that Halo players want choice when it comes to controls. And with that in mind, we are also working on another little pet project that will allow even more precise tuning. This update will offer more custom fine-tuned control over controller settings (hint: independent vertical/horizontal sensitivities, the ability to calibrate your own dead zones, more granularity in sensitivity, and more). We hope to have that out for you in December and we will follow up with more details later. 

Thanks for all the passionate feedback, know that the team is reading as much as we can. See you on the battlefield."

~Chis King and Scott Sims

What are your thoughts on the changes and plans, and do you have any suggestions for changes yourself?

Let us know down below!

Thank you for reading

Source:

Halowaypoint

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 6

Oh, great, even more stuff to dilute the REQ pool and make it even harder to get something you actually want. Just what I'd been hoping for.

Thanks, 343.

After thinking about it a lot I can totally see where people who hate REQ packs are coming from.

It ultimately cheapens the actual gameplay itself. It ruins stuff for people who love to get everything but everyone else too such as Machinma creators or just normal players. Getting new equipment is vital part of keeping the player engaged and when you have no idea when that will be, it kinda falls flat.

Example: Well the best example would be Recon, that helmet had people going crazy for it, especially after there was an actual way you could obtain through Odst.

Now imagine if it was the same thing for Halo 5 but with a super rare REQ card?

Its just not the same is it?

Req packs ruin the core experience and getting free maps packs just is not worth that. (Especially after the fact that the Forge maps 343 have been showing off look so good. Like real maps)  :)

• Like 1

@@RedStarRocket91 @@Caboose The Ace You do realise the point of REQ packs is to give EVERYONE an EQUAL chance of getting everything?

It's completely unfair to everyone else if you have money to buy specific items and they don't. Plus it's unfair if people are unable to do tasks to unlock specific items.

So by removing those godforsaken Vidmaster thingys and removing a "supermarket" from the game it makes the game fun.

So if you two really really think that the system is ridiculous and 343 have "ruined" it, then go trade the game for something else from where you got it.

That aside, Nice article P34nut, I need all the Warthogs!

@@RedStarRocket91 @@Caboose The Ace You do realise the point of REQ packs is to give EVERYONE an EQUAL chance of getting everything?

It's completely unfair to everyone else if you have money to buy specific items and they don't. Plus it's unfair if people are unable to do tasks to unlock specific items.

So by removing those godforsaken Vidmaster thingys and removing a "supermarket" from the game it makes the game fun.

So if you two really really think that the system is ridiculous and 343 have "ruined" it, then go trade the game for something else from where you got it.

That aside, Nice article P34nut, I need all the Warthogs!

Just because you disagree dosent mean you have to take mine and Redstars argument out of context and brand us a 343 haters. Its just dumb.

How is it not an equal chance as you claim it is anyway?

Example: Lets say some guy in Halo 5 has the recon helmet

Did he work his way up the ranking system to get it or was it a random loot drop?

And what version of this tale is more rewarding and better because for playing the game you are awarded actual progress. (I know I gave Destiny flak for this system but at least you were guaranteed to get something, this is much worse)

Besides you can just splash down 10£ and potentially get an advantage and that there is simply pay to win. It may only be for Warzone but it still simply unacceptable.

I was watching Angry Joe's video the other day and he roughly calculated that it would takes hundreds of hours to unlock everything in the game if you did not spend money.

And who the hell has time for that?

A ranking system makes everyone have an equal chance, random loot drops do not, simple as! :)

• Like 1

Just because you disagree dosent mean you have to mine and Redstars argument out of context and brand us a 343 haters. Its just dumb.

How is it not an equal chance as you claim it is anyway?

Example: Lets say some guy in Halo 5 has the recon helmet

Did he work his way up the ranking system to get it or was it a random loot drop?

And what version of this tale is more rewarding and better because for playing the game you are awarded actual progress. (I know I gave Destiny flak for this system but at least you were guaranteed to get something, this is much worse)

Besides you can just splash down 10£ and potentially get an advantage and that there is simply pay to win. It may only be for Warzone but it still simply unacceptable.

I was watching Angry Joe's video the other day and he roughly calculated that it would takes hundreds of hours to unlock everything in the game if you did not spend money.

And who the hell has time for that?

A ranking system makes everyone have an equal chance, random loot drops do not, simple as! :)

Caboose, is Battlefield 4 pay to win? No it isn't but you can still buy battlepacks to get that attachment you want. Same here, you can buy a battlepack if you want, but even if you get a gold pack, you'll most likely get an armour or a certification and some other power weaopns. Which you can easily obtain by playing to matches.

You get something everytime you get a battle pack, even bronze. Literally you can get power weapons after every match because you'll get enough to buy a pack after every match. Or you can save up for the better ones.

Hundreds of hours to complete everything? Oh no! however will I play enough! Dude it just came out, you'll have plenty of time to get everything before the next game releases. I play on weekends only, I already have 20% of the armours. (5 DAYS WORTH OF PLAYING). It really isn't that hard to save up, if you play even mildly skillfully you can get at least 2000 reqs a match.

Yes if I pay ten bucks to buy a couple gold packs I may get my armour I wanted, or maybe a couple power weapons, but like I said you get that from normal play. The only reason you will buy packs is if you want to hurry up and get all the armors. Playing normally and getting to look forward to getting the armour I want is great, it keeps me playing.

Also your talking about the ranking system, the better you do the more req points you get, so in other words the harder you work the bigger the reward. It's like you going up the ranks, because everytime you start doing better you get more points, not to mention that every time you level up you get a req pack. 

Oh, great, even more stuff to dilute the REQ pool and make it even harder to get something you actually want. Just what I'd been hoping for.

Thanks, 343.

Do you want it to be easy to play?

It's exciting trying to get the armor you want, and if you don't get it, that entices you to do better and get more req points per match. It's not supposed to be easy Red, you have to actually put time into it. How many Warzone matches have you played?

• Like 1

You do realise the point of REQ packs is to give EVERYONE an EQUAL chance of getting everything?

To address this point-by-point:

1. Yes, everyone has an equally poor chance of getting an item they actually want. You know what would also give everyone an equal chance of getting what they want? Having a specific way that each item is earned. If everyone gets the same requirements to unlock a specific item (as with every single unlock in Halo 3, Reach, and Halo 4), then everyone has an equal chance to get everything. All the REQ system does is take away player control in favour of encouraging gambling.

2. This worked fine in Reach. If you're talking about real money: you can already buy REQ packs for real money, so I don't understand why you're defending that. Especially as it amounts, as I have already stated, to real-money gambling. And your second point is simply supporting my first, so moving on:

3. How does it make the game 'fun' to take away player choice and control? If you want a certain piece of armour, do the challenge, if you don't, then don't. That to me is far more fun than sitting spinning a roulette wheel after every game and hoping that this time I'll get lucky, and being literally no closer to unlocking the pieces I want when I inevitably don't get them, given that there are something like 200 customisation pieces in the game and thus I'm effectively going from a 0.5% chance to get a drop I want to a 0.505% chance to get what I want: you would have to open 50 REQ packs to get a 1% chance of getting a part you want. If that's really what you want then good for you, but personally, the idea of being able to actively pursue a challenge in order to get a guaranteed reward is much more enjoyable to me.

4. The system is ridiculous. It takes away player choice and control, it removes the idea of progression, and it leaves you completely at the mercy of RNG. And frankly? This is a blatantly anti-consumer system, and one which I will give every ounce of criticism it deserves. Frankly, the idea that anyone who has issues with Halo 5 should either shut up or trade the game in is ridiculous. Firstly, as a digital download, I can't trade it in. Thanks, Microsoft. And secondly? It's really ridiculous that you think that there is only a direct choice between loving everything about Halo and hating everything about Halo. I like large parts of Halo 5, but the REQ system is complete and utter trash, and I have absolutely no desire to engage with it.

• Like 1

Caboose, is Battlefield 4 pay to win? No it isn't but you can still buy battlepacks to get that attachment you want. Same here, you can buy a battlepack if you want, but even if you get a gold pack, you'll most likely get an armour or a certification and some other power weaopns. Which you can easily obtain by playing to matches.

You get something everytime you get a battle pack, even bronze. Literally you can get power weapons after every match because you'll get enough to buy a pack after every match. Or you can save up for the better ones.

Hundreds of hours to complete everything? Oh no! however will I play enough! Dude it just came out, you'll have plenty of time to get everything before the next game releases. I play on weekends only, I already have 20% of the armours. (5 DAYS WORTH OF PLAYING). It really isn't that hard to save up, if you play even mildly skillfully you can get at least 2000 reqs a match.

Yes if I pay ten bucks to buy a couple gold packs I may get my armour I wanted, or maybe a couple power weapons, but like I said you get that from normal play. The only reason you will buy packs is if you want to hurry up and get all the armors. Playing normally and getting to look forward to getting the armour I want is great, it keeps me playing.

Also your talking about the ranking system, the better you do the more req points you get, so in other words the harder you work the bigger the reward. It's like you going up the ranks, because everytime you start doing better you get more points, not to mention that every time you level up you get a req pack. 

It's exciting trying to get the armor you want, and if you don't get it, that entices you to do better and get more req points per match. It's not supposed to be easy Red, you have to actually put time into it. How many Warzone matches have you played?

I actually want to see my progression though. :)

When I unlock a helmet I want to know that I worked hard to get it. That I had to complete that tough challenge, be it the ranking system, achievements, commendations etc.

Not a random loot drop. It could take half an hour to get the helmet I want or a hundred hours to get the helmet I want or more! You just don't know, I like my goals clear cut for me and not based entirely on the role of a dice because it cheapens everything.

As said I gave Destiny flack for this but Halo 5 does it worse and it also sorta pay to win but whatever I suppose.....

• Like 1

'Easy' is a ridiculous thing to say. There is no difficulty in randomness: it's not 'easy' or 'hard', it's just chance. This is like saying 'is it easy to roll a 6 on a dice'? Well... no, it's not easy, but it's not exactly hard either because your actions have no effect on the outcome. I mean sure, you can keep rolling the dice, but when it's not a d6 but a d200, the chance of your rolling that 6 are pretty much 0 to all intents and purposes.

And if completely random chance based gambling is exciting to you? You have a problem.

• Like 1

@@RedStarRocket91 Everyone does get an equal chance to unlock things. Everyone can get REQ packs and everybody has the chance of getting things. It's no fun grinding the same commendation over and over instead play the game how you like and earn points to buy packs to get what you want. It's much simpler and easier to just enjoy the game.

What I'm saying in regards to buying REQs is buying SPECIFIC items (which you stated you would like in another topic). What's the point in that? You lose all enjoyment instead of the actual sense of achievement of finally getting what you want.

If you want challenges then you'd be disappointed if 343 had them. All the challenges would have to allow everyone to complete them hence every challenge being ridiculously tedious or ridiculously easy. That ruins games.

So if you truly avoid the REQ system then you hate a LARGE portion of Halo 5. The REQ system ties in with almost everything so I'd say you hate Halo 5. Only in this case is where you can completely hate or like the game. Progression is there, you just need to play well, get points, buy packs and be proud of you shiny new armour/weapons/emblems etc. Besides, the more armour you get that you hate, gives you a better chance of getting the armour you want

Everyone does get an equal chance to unlock things. Everyone can get REQ packs and everybody has the chance of getting things. It's no fun grinding the same commendation over and over instead play the game how you like and earn points to buy packs to get what you want. It's much simpler and easier to just enjoy the game.

What I'm saying in regards to buying REQs is buying SPECIFIC items (which you stated you would like in another topic). What's the point in that? You lose all enjoyment instead of the actual sense of achievement of finally getting what you want.

If you want challenges then you'd be disappointed if 343 had them. All the challenges would have to allow everyone to complete them hence every challenge being ridiculously tedious or ridiculously easy. That ruins games.

So if you truly avoid the REQ system then you hate a LARGE portion of Halo 5. The REQ system ties in with almost everything so I'd say you hate Halo 5. Only in this case is where you can completely hate or like the game. Progression is there, you just need to play well, get points, buy packs and be proud of you shiny new armour/weapons/emblems etc. Besides, the more armour you get that you hate, gives you a better chance of getting the armour you want

Yes, everyone does get a chance to unlock things. Which means... what exactly? Everyone had the same chance to unlock everything on the older unlock systems, too. While you may find it easier and simpler to play roulette than to actually accomplish something, I personally like to have a goal to work towards - so for me, just settling into a routine with nothing to work toward takes half the fun out. And no, you can't buy packs to get what you want, you can buy packs to have a very small chance to get what you want. And if you don't get what you want? Tough luck, you're back to square one.

As for saying that being able to specifically work toward something you want is no fun - I literally don't even know how to respond to that. That is, put simply, so utterly alien to me that I just can't understand why you would think like that. I'm sorry, but for me there is a LOT of point in being able to work towards a specific item, because I want to work towards a specific item. I get a sense of achievement out of getting a specific item because I wanted that specific item and I worked toward it. It's a symbol of my efforts and accomplishments: I got it because I chose to pursue it, rather than just because it was handed to me through luck.

Don't tell me what I would and wouldn't enjoy, I'll make that decision, thanks. And frankly? Yes, everyone should be able to complete challenges, but that just means they need access to the same game with the same controls. Anyone can complete LASO - it's not easy, but it's perfectly doable. As for 'tedious' - I will remind you at this point that you are defending a system in which it would take six hundred hours to guarantee you get the part you want (and those hours are only going to get bigger as more stuff gets added) - please tell me how that is preferable to spending a few hours on a specific challenge to get the guaranteed same result.

Yes, the REQ system ties in with a lot of stuff, and yes, I hate it. But frankly, if you're honestly saying that the most exciting thing about Halo 5 for you is the REQ system, then I'd say you're the one who hates the rest of the game because you're choosing an arbitrary chance-based unlock system over the entire rest of the gameplay. And no, rolling a dice over and over again hoping to luck out with RNG is not progression - it's chance. Progression is literally the idea that you are getting closer to a goal - and you aren't moving any closer to your goal. I'll remind you at this point that since there are over 200 unlocks, after you've unlocked 100 of them, congratulations! You are now a whopping 0.5% more likely to get the item you want on your next REQ pack, with a whole 1% chance.

• Like 1

@@RedStarRocket91 What I mean by equal chance is that everyone has that roulette chance. It's still a goal to work towards regardless. If you want something you'll work hard to get that Gold REQ Pack.

This is where you got me wrong. I DO like working towards a goal but what I don't like is at times you need e.g 200 assassinations, 150 splatters and 250 head shots just for an armour set and THAT can drive you nuts. And once again, it's still an accomplishment by getting the points for a Gold REQ Pack to get or get closer to what you want.

No, not everyone just having access to the game and controls can do everything. If a game has multiplayer armour challenges and a person has no multiplayer, well then that's unfair. If the challenge needs 4 people to do something in Campaign, well what about the people who don't have anyone to help (the reason I couldn't do Vidmaster), they can't get it. So by roulette being there, it's FAIR.

I am defending the system but "six hundred hours"? Don't be so absurd. I have put 20 HOURS into the game and have got 21 armour sets. Now there are only 154 sets left to get, INCREASING the chance of getting more armour. So if you unlock more stuff then you get rarer stuff thus you won't need "six hundred hours". And yes this system is preferable. Instead of having to get 500 kills with EVERY weapon and vehicle and 200 wins in EVERY game mode to get all the armour (which will take six hundred hours) or instead play for a half an hour buy a Pack and you get nice stuff? I know which one I go with.

No, I do like ,and love in some cases, the majority of Halo 5 except for the ranking in Arena. I just like the fairness that this "arbitrary" system has brought in. And yes, it IS progression. If you unlock all Common and Uncommon armour then you obviously going the get the other Rare pieces much much easier. You do get closer to your goal in this way. As for the extra "0.5%" chance, more like 10% upwards chance.

Some friendly advice, your SR 8 and have only played 19 games of multi player (2 War zone, 17 Arena). How can you be disappointed by not getting what you want with hardly any time to buy REQ packs? And only buy Gold Packs, you get good stuff from them.

• Like 1