Official Weekly Site Poll #1!!

VinWarrior

post-26953-0-47230500-1442112743_thumb.jpg

Greetings ladies and gentlemen of 343 Industries and beyond! My name is Hayley Kenway and on behalf of my partner Unease P34nut I'd like to welcome you to the first Official Weekly Site Poll! These used to be done every once a week by BeckoningZebra, Bnus, etc. As well, member CabooseTheAce is currently doing the Semi-Weekly Site Poll, so if you'd like to check that out, go do so! For now though, let's get down to business!

post-26953-0-63300100-1442112850_thumb.png

Lately, a plethora of Halo related outside content has been releasing and extended universe content is now more integrated into the main games. So taking this information into account, would you like to see more extended universe content in the Halo universe in the future, such as books, television shows, etc. Or, would you prefer we stick to the games and avoid all those complicated side stories? Let us know down below! Next week at this time, Unease P34nut will recap your tally and give the next entry. Thanks for reading!

~HK & UP

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 4

I usually just stick with the games since Halo has quite a lot of lore behind it. I don't mind knowing a few things, but there's just too much out there for me to actually sit down and read or something like that.

I wouldn't mind if they had like a little option in the game where they had a narrator read some bits of lore through that tab which explains little bits of it. That might be good I guess

I primarily stick to the games and if there's any contradiction between games and supporting material, I go with the games every time. They are the main storytelling medium of Halo, after all, and are what Halo originally was and continues to be at its core.

That's not to say I'd steer clear of supporting material intentionally. I just haven't found any in bookstores here. I do watch official story videos like Forward Unto Dawn and Nightfall, and read other stuff off the wiki. Still, if there are contradictions, like I said, games take predecence.

So I say keep churning out supporting material. It's entertaining and expansive. If something goes wrong in it, it's not even a problem for me.

I'd like to see most of the story develop in the games so everyone knows what's going on and doesn't have to spend more money or time to understand this.

As much as I do love the side stories and the extended lore, they shouldn't get more attention in the games then some mere references in order to keep people with the story.

All in all, side stories are fine. But shouldn't be more that that.

I would personally love for there to be way more of the extended universe in game, especially as, because we all know there aren't really very many extremely reliable sources on the web for Halo lore research. All of the primary sources are either slightly inaccurate or just completely irreparably bad.

The reason I would love for there to be more of the extended universe to be integrated into the games is that it would make it a lot easier for people like me who want to research as deeply into a franchise's universe as I can (Star Wars, Mortal Kombat, Dark Souls etc.) as we will learn while playing, like with the Elder Scrolls series for example. This is mainly because it is so hard to find out accurate information about deep Halo lore on the web because as I mentioned prior; there just aren't many mainstream sources that are....well...... very good ;).  

I don't mind. But if the game's story is going to be the sequel to a book, then no.

When it comes to games and outside lore, I prefer to stick closer towards the game itself. I don't mind knowing, say, a good story somewhere else in the same universe. But if the story from a game relies solely on a series of books, then I get annoyed.

I guess it depends on the situation, and how far the outside lore'll affect the next game. I prefer to use my own inferences.

Books, Books, Books, Books.

Seriously I love the Halo novels. I enjoy reading a huge deal and moreso I love just how detailed the books can get and what niche stuff they are able to cover that the games cannot for the sake of keeping pace. Some of the best HaloEU material has come from the books.

The Forerunner Saga is a great example of this where they delve into the fictional science of the Forerunners. Explaining Vacuum Energy, Universes like the "Glow" and how their society works. A Halo game cannot cover the juridical system of the Forerunners but books(or other Halo media) can. 

I pick books over something like shows or comics because Halo books have a very good track record of being average or very well written. So far the live-action shows are sub-par at best(Nightfall was just a big what) and the comics do their job well but the pacing seems off(Escalation is good though sucks its going to end soon). The animated shows like Legends or Evolution are very well done and if anything 343i should focus on commissioning more of those. The same goes for audio dramas like HuntTheTruth which was just fantastic.(although I would love them to cover a more niche topic with an audio drama like the scientists studying the Forerunners)

Whats even better about the books is that they're extremely easy to summarize(you're making a text summary of a book. That is loads easier then summarizing a visual or audio driven medium)! If you just want the gist of whats going on head over to Halowiki or Halopedia, and if you cannot be bothered to read about it then theres no room to complain about being confused story wise when you play the games.

I'm very happy with the direction Halo 5 is taking in terms of Primer lore. We're getting a lot of backstory to the events that bleed into the story of Halo 5 and 343i has been very clear on what EU material you need to know if you want to fully appreciate Halo 5s story(although I'm sure you will understand it just fine if you don't care to read the wiki)

EDIT: Nice to see we're starting fresh with the poll. Keep them coming gents!