Dark Souls Series Ships Over 8 Million Copies Worldwide

From Software's fabled RPG series Dark Souls has shipped over 8.5 million combined copies worldwide!

The recent gaming press conferences known as E3 revealed a wealth of new titles returning to favorite franchises, one of those being Dark Souls III. This announcement also sparked some great news, that the series has shipped over 8.5 million copies combining their three titles, as reported by GameInformer.com. The original game Dark Souls and Artorias of the Abyss came in at nearly 6 million in total. Dark Souls II totaled at a little over 2 million, and it's current generation port only came in with about 600K ships. All of these net a little over 8.5 million copies for the series. This was all revealed during a formal conference in Japan by From Software. The company is also responsible for the recent PS4 exclusive title Bloodborne. 

post-26953-0-60033700-1435764516_thumb.png

All images and information sourced from GameInformer and From Software studios.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 2

I love Dark Souls.

Sadly, both my copies were stolen, along with all of my other games.

However, 8 million is quite a lot... I wonder how many people pirated it. Even further, I guess there's a lot more masochistic gamers than I thought.

^

Bad in what way?

Besides even if the game series is bad, people love to buy bad games sometimes. :)

Think about Rock simulator or something like that for an example.

The art style is literally just black and grey- it's not even something you can praise on graphical fidelity or aesthetics, as it's just bland. The story is nonexistent (as in, you're not even given a reason for what you're doing), the monsters are either just armoured knights or piles of warts and teeth. The world is unengaging (IE, I never felt compelled to explore the world, it wasn't interesting. I didn't get the same "what is this? I want to know more!" urge I got from Fallout, Halo, TES, Mass Effect, Dishonoured* or even ******* Titanfall, yes, I was more engaged in Titanfall's lore than this). The gameplay was unresponsive/ too slow and I don't find fun in "it's difficult!!!!11!!!" because artificial difficulty doesn't work. Dark Souls is one of the few times I have ever had a moment of realisation in a game of "Why am I playing? I'm not having fun, nor am I engaged in the story or world I'm in. I have no reason to continue playing." and thusly stopped. I'm just glad it was on games with gold. 

*I didn't even like Dishonored for it's gameplay. The only thing I liked in it (Which was what got me to continue) was a want to explore the world I was in and find out about it's history and lore, despite not enjoying the mechanics themselves. Same for Mass Effect 1, I can't stand the gameplay but I still play through it often enough because of the story and the effects I can have on future games. If the gameplay bores me and the story is dull/ nonexistant, I see o reason to play any further.