No Halo 5 split screen

x Rambo 316

I hope someone from 343 reads this, I heard about the plan to drop split screen in MP and I have to say this is very sadding to me.

A bit of a back story.

I first played Halo one with my brother doing the whole co-op campange in a week, I fell in love with the game so much that I decided that one day I wanted to make games that people could enjoy. We played Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo Reach, Halo 4 togeather through every co-op campange. We also spent countless hours in slayer games with each other and throwing Halo partys with our friends.

When I heard that they wanted to drop split screen campange I was sad but I could understand the wish for the story mission to be played out in 60 fps.

However with the plans to drop split screen in MP, that crossed a line. I have no intrest in wanting to spend a few hundred to buy another Xbox one and copy of Halo 5 just so I can play games with my brother.

The split screen as humble of a system it may be has been a key compontet to enjoying all the Halo games. The split screen helped me decided what I wanted to do for a job one day and helped me bond with my brother and brought countless hours of enjoyment with friends.

Please don't take this away from us, and please don't take these opertunitys away from new players Halo players as well.

^

This late in development I doubt 343 is going to remove anything, if they said Splitscreen is going to be in MP. 99.9 percent I am sure it is going to be in H5G. :)

Nope. 343i and even Microsoft said it themselves, no Split Screen whatsoever.

Here's a tweet from Josh Holmes:

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/615282749436358656

and here is an article stating Microsoft confirmed no split screen:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/06/halo-5-listing-dev-statement-point-to-end-of-series-local-multiplayer/

(Its near the end of the article)

With no split screen or Lan what is the point of playing Halo. I grew up playing all the halos with friends and family. We had no Internet and we could only play offline. They were some great times. My son's both play all the Halos offline. 343 you need to change this or you will lose alot of people from this great HAlo .Series

Halo DOES need to keep splitscreen, but as Caboose and I pointed out numerous times, development is done. The last few months are all stability and bug testing.

That being said 343 isnt really to blame. Gamers have been literally crying and crapping their pants over wanting 60fps gameplay...which is just silly to begin with for numerous reason I will not go into at this time.

Since software development has yet to fully realize and harness the hardware potential, it just isnt feesable to have everything run in co-op splitscreen and hit that all unimportant 60fps.

If the community wants to blame someone for co-op splitscreen not being included....you all need to take a good long look in the mirror #Truth

• Like 2

It's astounding how, after this announcement, it seems that everyone and their goldfish plays 4-player splitscreen.

Anyway, it is a perfectly sound reasoning (to get to 60fps) as 60 is and should be the standard for all AAA titles. And animations are tied to framerate (So you can't simply lower the framerate), and remaking every texture at a lower quality not only wastes disc space but development time for the game. I would prefer we get a game worthy of being called 'current-gen' than something that would just say 'Hey! Microsoft's in-house dev teams, building a game designed for xbox One, can't get 60FPS!'

That would be a far worse PR blow than the removal of a mostly redundant feature. The only reason, IMO, bethesda can get away with Fallout 4 being on 30 is simply because of the size of the world and game they are making. Plus, Bethesda have never been known for graphically impressive titles.

With no split screen or Lan what is the point of playing Halo. I grew up playing all the halos with friends and family. We had no Internet and we could only play offline. They were some great times. My son's both play all the Halos offline. 343 you need to change this or you will lose alot of people from this great HAlo .Series

Is this serious? 

• Like 2

It's astounding how, after this announcement, it seems that everyone and their goldfish plays 4-player splitscreen.

I was surprised by this as well.

No one I know of uses splitscreen regularly enough to be impacted by this

Textures are not low resolution to reduce framerate. Textures historically almost never exceed 2048x2048 and almost never come in super high True Colir format. Most textures are 1048 at dxt, 3 or 5.

Animations are not tied to framerate either. Every siñgle animation has its own seperate varying anount of key frames at which the animation plays out. Basically sometging like an assassination from Halo 4, might have say...39 keyframes. That means the animation plays out in 39 frames regardless if the game is running at 30 or 60 fps. All 60 fps does, is negate the need to have motion blur at lower fps fràmerates.

WTF its bad enough that halo master chief was F**king 2 player split screen, but no F**king split screen at all? Excuse my language but who drank the retard juice. this is one of the major reason people buy this game, also not that many people have moved to xbox one. This is why Bungie was better because they actually made games for the players to enjoy. Not force everyone who enjoys the game to dish out $400+ to play with friends. I missed the days where i could go to my friends house and have 4 people playing on a 60" it was awesome. Now people take turns and it get boring, who in their right mind wants to sit there and watch their friends play for 20min. NOT me. this is sad because this will mark the end of all split screening. F**k  343 for doing something so terrible. someone needs to be fired.

And if someone says this is related to the Frame rate im going to pissed. These games are designed with the best tech. That means it be a F**k up on Xbox divisions for not making sure these console could support that. I can Play four player on an old gen there is no reason for it not to work with new gen. 

WTF its bad enough that halo master chief was F**king 2 player split screen, but no F**king split screen at all? Excuse my language but who drank the retard juice. this is one of the major reason people buy this game, also not that many people have moved to xbox one. This is why Bungie was better because they actually made games for the players to enjoy. Not force everyone who enjoys the game to dish out $400+ to play with friends. I missed the days where i could go to my friends house and have 4 people playing on a 60" it was awesome. Now people take turns and it get boring, who in their right mind wants to sit there and watch their friends play for 20min. NOT me. this is sad because this will mark the end of all split screening. F**k  343 for doing something so terrible. someone needs to be fired.

And if someone says this is related to the Frame rate im going to ******. These games are designed with the best tech. That means it be a F**k up on Xbox divisions for not making sure these console could support that. I can Play four player on an old gen there is no reason for it not to work with new gen. 

You can get the original trilogy plus ODST by Bungie for 350 thanks to 343.

Still hope they can sacrifice the frame rate for the split screen.

• Like 1

It makes no difference to me, since I play alone anyway. Honestly I don't see the big deal, your friend can play over XBL with you anyway at their own house.

Are you willing to buy a game and console or force your friends too. if they want to play with you? and please dont tell me you don't have friends, because then your parents need to get rid of your games. also bs no one plays solo....especially with all new games revolving around the idea of group playing.

Are you willing to buy a game and console or force your friends too. if they want to play with you? and please dont tell me you don't have friends, because then your parents need to get rid of your games. also bs no one plays solo....especially with all new games revolving around the idea of group playing.

Alright, no need for hostility.

Many people play games solo, including Halo. Not everyone will play according to the way you specifically do. You can't judge another person solely based off of your personal feelings/views.

With that said, Melody was clearly speaking in the second person here, referring to your friend. Her friends may already have the Xbox One console, so she wouldn't be making anyone purchase it. Now whether your friends actually have an Xbox One or not, I don't know. But buy you buying Halo 5, it does not force your friends to buy an Xbox One just to play with it with you. That is up to them. 

^
^
^
^

Firstly Lets clear some stuff up shall we? 

"This is why Bungie was better because they actually made games for the players to enjoy." And 343 isn't? Do you think 343 makes all the effort just to annoy Halo players? Of course not, don't delude yourself. 343 puts just as much effort as Bungie did if not more! The campaign looks good no? Hunt the Truth and all that good stuff as does the multiplayer.

"this is one of the major reason people buy this game" What, to play four player split screen? Two Player is bearable but four player, by the Nine! And how many times do you play Halo split screen anyway. At a guess, not as much as you just play the game by yourself ( Though that depends if you have Xbl gold or not )

"who drank the retard juice?" Bungie, have you seen the mess Destiny is? biggrin.png

"bs no one plays solo"

I do, as do the majority of the Halo community at a guess. I play online of course but that still counts as being solo. As the majority of the Halo community pay for Xbl gold so they can play online and at a guess ( once again, always guessing am I ) at least some of their friends with Xb1's do so as well so they can play multiplayer together and occasionally campaign too.

" I missed the days where i could go to my friends house and have 4 people" See the words used here? miss..... I doubt you play splitscreen very much anymore compared to how long you play by yourself ( by yourself I mean one controller )

"this is sad because this will mark the end of all split screening" What one game dosent do it for campaign and suddenly its the end for all splitscreen gaming! Don't overreact.

"And if someone says this is related to the Frame rate im going to ******. These games are designed with the best tech" But then the console would have to be much, much more. Maybe Ps3 launch rate, or higher ( and we all know how well that worked out )

• 2 weeks later...

I went from a day 1 purchase to a not even getting.

This so badly sucks. I play 2 player and 4 player split screen all the time. I've beat almost every single halo in the MCC via local split screen and single player.

If I didnt want local multiplayer i'd play something like cod. Have game developers forgotten that people have friends and that playing games together is fun? 

This simply ******* sucks.

• Like 1

^

343 said it was so the game could maintain a constant 60fps.

This is party in fault with so many people generally wanting/expecting 60fps 1080p for everyone current gen console game. Well this is the price of 1080p 60fps.

Now I doubt you play split screen as much as you claim. It is hardly a game breaking deal.

But whatever to each his own if splitscreen means that much to you, so be it. :)

^

343 said it was so the game could maintain a constant 60fps.

This is party in fault with so many people generally wanting/expecting 60fps 1080p for everyone current gen console game. Well this is the price of 1080p 60fps.

Now I doubt you play split screen as much as you claim. It is hardly a game breaking deal.

But whatever to each his own if splitscreen means that much to you, so be it. :)

I dont know how much of my halo stats  you can see but if it shows in detail you can look and see i've beat 1 2 and 3 completely via co op splits screen. 4 I played through myself. 

Almost all my halo experiences have been playing with friends in the same room.

• Like 1

I am a long time Halo fan and have enjoyed countless hours playing with friends on the couch next to me. What sold it on me was the split-screen. No local co-op? I thought 343 was avid on not screwing up again with the newest installment in the series... bad dog 343 bad dog. The local co-op in multiplayer and campaign is crucial to what built this game and kept it alive and without it I may have to say goodbye to halo, it just wont be the same. 

Halo with no local co-op? I thought 343 was avid on not screwing up another game in the halo series... bad dog 343... bad dog

^

True but there is a good point too.

It allows Halo 5 to run at a silkily smooth 60fps with 1080, now that's awesome for a console fps. :)

Splitscreen is a massive loss but trust me, you will appreciate that 60fps in multiplayer and maybe even campaign. ( I still wish Splitscreen was in there though )  

^

It depends how much you use splitscreen though, if you don't use it then the 60fps is anything but a negative, you know its 60fps, the game runs generally smoother especially in multiplayer. :)

But if you do use it regularly or semi regularly or something then its going to be a massive annoyance and source of disappointment.

This is only going to effect someone depending on how much they use. ( Personally I only use splitscreen occasionally so its not that big of a deal )