No Halo 5 split screen

x Rambo 316

This makes me so sad. I have every single Halo game, but won't be buying this one if there's no split screen. My favorite part of playing Halo games has always been playing split screen with my wife, if I can't do that I guess we'll have to find another game. The frame rate isn't worth the trade-off.

You would think with the power of the Xbox One that it'd be able to support 60fps for split screen. I really dislike the fact that there isn't going to be split screen even though I don't use it. However that shouldn't be the deciding factor in whether you buy the game or not. It's possible that they can update it before or even after for it to play with a lower frame rate and allow split screen. We still have 4 months before launch.

Go play the Handsome Collection split screen and you tell me if frame rates matter. Except The Hansome Collection can do 4 player splitscreen.

Each time you splitscreen, your Frame Rate drop by half, and your resolution lowers. So Single Player is 60 and 2 player is 30 with 480p. Now, go to 3 players, that 15, and 4 players... Well you get it. But the 30 FR is still a problem I'm pretty sure 2K showed everyone that. There are times where the frame rates drop to a little less than 1. You can move, but it will just be really really slow for you. You can complain all you want, but it will have issues that you will complain about. No matter what, you WILL complain. Split screen or not. "343 pls fix coop" It's kind of irritating, and annoying. 

• Like 3

Framerate really doesnt matter so long as its kept above 30. You can argue resolution and framerate all you want, but the noticable differeñce 30 and 60 is not as easy to see or get all worked up about.

For example, I can show you Halo CE and Halo 2 running on PC at 60fps in 1060i and then show you a side comparison of its Xbox counterparts. Very very little difference if any. Also, please stop shouting about how Xbox One has better hardware so it should do this or do that. All that power means nothing if software can't utilize it.

That would be like going back in time to 1995 and handing a GTX Titan to a developer, but not being able to understand why he can't program 3d rendering to look like say.. Halo Reach.

I can't say that this will stop me from buying the game. I love the halo games and the universe too much for that. However this is going to cause me to play the game a lot less. I'll do the math to show why:

25% of my time spent playing halo is on my own either campaign or multiplayer

50% of my time spent playing halo is split screen with one or more of my friends

25% of my time spent playing halo is training, playing multiplayer so I can beat/outscore my friends

There you have it 75% of my playtime is related to split screen. I love that the new halo is going to be 60fps and if it were going to be 30fps instead that would be disappointing but I can't say that would affect my playtime anything like a lack of split screen will.

Oh well, that's how it goes. All least now I can save my money not buying all the dlc map packs.

Oh well, that's how it goes. All least now I can save my money not buying all the dlc map packs.

Luckily the first 15 maps will be free DLC so you won't worry about paying for it for a while. I think 343 has done a good job of thinking of everything except for the importance of split screening to a large part of the community.

All I can say is that it's either psychological or something else. I watched Halo 4 being played in front of me on a 45" LCD on Xbox One, and I could see no difference in the graphics or gameplay at all compared to the 360. In fact the only thing I did notice, is that things seemed a bit darker but that could have been my settings on my tv.

For me, no longer having split screen isn't an issue, and while coop-ability is nice, I'd rather have a smoother running game than a shoddy performance with a friend.

When you play games that at least try for stable 60 fps, you tend to notice the difference when you go back. Except for Twin, because he's special. ;P

Sure, we won't have those terrible guests to kill in MP, but I think we can live without that... Plus they always sucked at driving <_<

I don't know if they can even change it back at this point, but I know that because of this change, they are optimising the game for solo play.

Which is perfectly fine with me. ^_^

• Like 1

"I'd rather have a smoother running game than a shoddy performance with a friend." ^ ^

I have played a game at 120 fps yet I can still go back to 30 just fine, 30fps is more cinematic, yes I'm with Ubisoft on that. :)

Anyway so if we did have co op but only for two players that would still be fine because it would be 30 and 30fps is fine and hardly shoddy.

My wife and I have played halo since before we were married. When we lived in separate towns she even bought the halo reach Xbox 360 so we could continue playing together. Now we live in the same house again but cannot afford two Xbox ones,tvs,games. I was highly disappointed when I heard the news that halo 5 was not going to support couch co-op. I have heard so many times "If destiny was split screen I could help you with that mission" it is so hard for both of us to be gamers when we have send our loved ones away so we can play games. It's never fun to be the one left out and only be able to watch. I had been looking forward to halo so we could play together again but now it wont matter if I buy the game or not. We still will not be able to play together.If we can't play together this may be the first halo game we will not own and I even have halo wars. When I traded my Xbox 360 for my Xbox one I kept my halo games because they mean more to me than the dollar value Gamestop assigns them she doesn't want to trade her halo Xbox for the same reason. So now we are stuck.

My wife and I have played halo since before we were married. When we lived in separate towns she even bought the halo reach Xbox 360 so we could continue playing together. Now we live in the same house again but cannot afford two Xbox ones,tvs,games. I was highly disappointed when I heard the news that halo 5 was not going to support couch co-op. I have heard so many times "If destiny was split screen I could help you with that mission" it is so hard for both of us to be gamers when we have send our loved ones away so we can play games. It's never fun to be the one left out and only be able to watch. I had been looking forward to halo so we could play together again but now it wont matter if I buy the game or not. We still will not be able to play together.If we can't play together this may be the first halo game we will not own and I even have halo wars. When I traded my Xbox 360 for my Xbox one I kept my halo games because they mean more to me than the dollar value Gamestop assigns them she doesn't want to trade her halo Xbox for the same reason. So now we are stuck.

Old Habits Die Hard.

You're going to have to do what you did when you lived in separate towns to be able to play together. Even if you're in the same house. Just the way it works now. Besides that, couch co-op only affects a few percentile. Not very many people are affected. It's basically just getting rid of the old and bringing in the new. A bunch of fans complained about Halo 4, look at the aftermath that took place.

This makes me so sad. I have every single Halo game, but won't be buying this one if there's no split screen. My favorite part of playing Halo games has always been playing split screen with my wife, if I can't do that I guess we'll have to find another game. The frame rate isn't worth the trade-off.

Hello community, are one of the first players in live in Italy (I apologize for my English) and I played all the Halo, offline, online, co op split screen and online co op.
The way I prefer is the co op split screen, my wife and I play in co op split and we enjoy very much, we help each other ....
With halo 5 this is not possible and I am very sad, to play with my wife in co op should I buy another Xbox One and play one on one room and one in another. The thing you can not ...
Halo 5 will buy equally, I am confident for Team 343 are able to implement the CO OP SPLIT SCREEN mode, even with a frame rate or a lower resolution.

Thanks to one that plays Halo always.

Xbox Live Gamertag Corel

^

This isn't the official 343 community forum that is Halo waypoint so you may want to head there for an official response, but make sure to come back here if you want to talk about Halo with a semi-mature group of members. :) WE AINT CHEPOS!

Anywho! I totally agree I would rather have Co-op and a constant 30fps than a constant 60fps and no Co-op.

I have to admit that I am very disappointed in this announcement by 343 that they are not even including two person split screen in Halo 5.  

But, I think nearly everyone is missing the point here, especially 343.  No one , and I mean no one who plays split screen is worried about a downgrade in the graphics. Split screen is not about how great the game looks, that is what the single player campaign is for (or multiplayer if you play Live).  Split screen is about one thing; the opportunity to sit down on my couch with my buddy, family, friends, or kids and play one of the funnest FPS on the market.  This is the core reason I, and every fan I know love Halo, I can play through with someone else, that is the essence of the Halo experience.  If that was not the truth for most players, then players would not be demanding the ability to play online with friends.

When I first purchased Halo 2 (yes, I was a bit late entering the franchise) my wife thought it looked like a very dumb game.  But, I asked her to sit down and play through one level with me.  I set up the split screen campaign and we played through a Master Chief level.  When we finished she asked me if we could play through another level, then another.  She absolutely loved it and we ended up playing for hours.  She later told me that what made the experience so fun was that we were sitting on the couch playing the game together.  We played through Halo 1-3 together and had a blast.  By the time Halo Reach came out it was my wife who kept asking when the release date was; same with Halo 4.

After Halo 4 came out my wife suggested that we introduce my daughter to Halo.  I set up the split screen and let my daughter have a go.  By the time we finished the first level my daughter was begging to stay up later so we could keep playing.  It has been a great family activity ever since.

But, all this is going to be lost in Halo 5 unless 343 brings back this simple feature.

And I know something else that they will loose if it isn't brought back, my $60+ that I'll spend on something else.

• Like 1

^

Trust me, some people really care about graphics. :)

Why? I don't know, then again I really don't care what the graphics look like as long as it plays well.

If Rocks look like Rocks and Grass looks like Grass, I'm fine, good graphics is just a bonus, if it dosent have good graphics, so be it.

Besides a downgrade in graphics isn't the problem its that spilt screen lowers the framerate to 30fps.

Personally I don't care, why not just keep it at 60fps for solo and 30fps for Co-op, why need to remove it altogether?

Because I will be honest, I really like Co-op. Its not a deal breaker but it is certainly something that sucks.

But really, Co-op is the core reason you buy Halo? I doubt that very much.

Plus you know.... you could always get gold and play with people that way.....

As much as I enjoyed reading the story about it being a family thing and as much as I want split screen. I still suggest you get Halo 5, it is going to be a.....

Well after reading some of the Mp stuff *Cough* No Unsc air vehicles *Cough*

The game is turning out to be not as good as I had imagined. Regardless the Campaign looks really good but the Mp, not so much.

Anywayz Caboose out!

• Like 1

Just need to throw this out there since a lot pf people are either misinformed or have no clue about how technology works.

Going from 30fps to 60fps is only a huge difference in terms of framerate alone. Graphics are not inhiboted by fps. What is inhibited by fps is the smoothness we see in motion. For example, running Crysis 3 on either 30 or 60 fps yields no visible difference as the game engine already has and includes motion blur to smooth oit the framerate difference.

Halo is also another game that employs the same technique. The only difference you see in Halo 4 going from Xbox 360 to Xbox One is a marginal amount of smoothness. That aside, the games look and play identical at slow to medium pace or at complete standstill. Also keep in mind that every television is different and even if a game is running at 60fps, you may need to change the refresh settings to even get the full 60fps displayed correctly.

All that being said, 60fps only really means that game developers no longer need to use motion blur during gameplay. The whole "we are cutting out co-op because of drop of framerate" is simply a BS statement. Other developers on multiple engines can have motion blir kick in when framerates drop, like the drop in co-op. There is actually no reason to cut it other than simply trying to sell more hardware and software to force players to use multiple consoles and discs.

• Like 1