•  

Toggle shoutbox 343i Community Shoutbox

@  343iBot : (22 August 2019 - 03:31 PM) Welcome to the forums, JeremyMam! :welcome: View JeremyMam's Profile
@  Jack Of Harts : (22 August 2019 - 01:04 PM)
@  Halo6 Follower : (22 August 2019 - 09:03 AM) Great thanks buddo! Yourself?
@  UNSC Spartan-II : (22 August 2019 - 09:01 AM) How we all doing?
@  Halo6 Follower : (21 August 2019 - 07:46 PM) I think that worked, none in the last 10 hours
@  Halo6 Follower : (21 August 2019 - 09:34 AM) Lol
@  Drizzy_Dan : (21 August 2019 - 09:25 AM) Crap crap crap
@  343iBot : (20 August 2019 - 11:36 PM) Welcome to the forums, Williamfueft! :welcome: View Williamfueft's Profile
@  343iBot : (20 August 2019 - 05:28 PM) Welcome to the forums, latamdateyic! :welcome: View latamdateyic's Profile
@  Maestro : (20 August 2019 - 04:11 PM) 343iBot needs to denounce her fellow spambots
@  343iBot : (20 August 2019 - 03:59 PM) Welcome to the forums, ukrainegirlshlc! :welcome: View ukrainegirlshlc's Profile
@  343iBot : (20 August 2019 - 03:45 PM) Welcome to the forums, ObrabotkaOtKleschey! :welcome: View ObrabotkaOtKleschey's Profile
@  343iBot : (20 August 2019 - 09:23 AM) Welcome to the forums, CecilBusty! :welcome: View CecilBusty's Profile
@  343iBot : (19 August 2019 - 03:01 PM) Welcome to the forums, GeorgeSug! :welcome: View GeorgeSug's Profile
@  343iBot : (19 August 2019 - 11:24 AM) Welcome to the forums, BrianerE! :welcome: View BrianerE's Profile
@  343iBot : (19 August 2019 - 05:13 AM) Welcome to the forums, pavingLadia! :welcome: View pavingLadia's Profile
@  343iBot : (18 August 2019 - 03:40 PM) Welcome to the forums, modsfsgame! :welcome: View modsfsgame's Profile
@  Maestro : (18 August 2019 - 12:23 PM) report them and move on
@  343iBot : (18 August 2019 - 09:00 AM) Welcome to the forums, Znakomstvo! :welcome: View Znakomstvo's Profile
@  343iBot : (18 August 2019 - 08:23 AM) Welcome to the forums, jwxfJeome! :welcome: View jwxfJeome's Profile

Photo

Halo Lore AMA

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#41 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

I don't know what to put here

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
  • Gamertag:BaconShelf
  • LocationSomewhere, Everywhere, Anywhere and Nowhere. And everything inbetween.
2          2         

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:02 AM

You prolly missed my question so I'll just say it again :D

Where did the flood come from?

Now this is a long and interesting tale.

10 million years ago, the Precursors created the forerunners and humanity. At first, they judged humanity to be those who would uphold the Mantle of Responsibility, something the Forerunners didn't like- so they rose up and exterminated the precursors in fear, then took the mantle upon themselves. Those precursors who did not get killed fled and reduced themselves to some kind of dust/ powder.

This powder was eventually found by Humans on a ship drifting in space; they began using it in experiments and to alter behavious of certain animals. After several centuries, the animals started to mutate and began the first outbreak. T first humans tried to wage war against the Flood themselves, wiping out planets to stop the threat, believing the Forerunners would take too long to do anything about the threat. The Forerunners saw humans wiping out Forerunner planets and waged war, eventually reducing humans to a Tier 7 species (cavemen) and planting them on Earth. Shortly after this, the Flood began fighting te Forerunners, still recovering from one war, and crushed them.

Halo Lore fanatic, purveyor of dank maymays

My writing hub, the Imperial Archive Network

#42 UNSC Spartan-II

UNSC Spartan-II

Spartan-II

• News Group
  • 1,737 posts
Heroic
         2    7    17             3               

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:42 PM

Some races (Hunters and Grunts) sided with the Covenant loyalists, others sided with the Elite separatists (as seen in Halo 2 & 3). Did they choose out of their own will who to side with? Did any jackals (or skirmishers) side with the separatist forces?

2m5l7hi.jpg

#43 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
  • LocationSomewhere, Everywhere, Anywhere and Nowhere. And everything inbetween.
2          2         

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:09 PM

Some races (Hunters and Grunts) sided with the Covenant loyalists, others sided with the Elite separatists (as seen in Halo 2 & 3). Did they choose out of their own will who to side with? Did any jackals (or skirmishers) side with the separatist forces?

No entire species took one side. Some grunts sided with the Jiralhanae out of fear, others sided with Sangheili because they preferred them.

#44 UNSC Spartan-II

UNSC Spartan-II

Spartan-II

• News Group
  • 1,737 posts
Heroic

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:13 PM

No entire species took one side. Some grunts sided with the Jiralhanae out of fear, others sided with Sangheili because they preferred them.

I did not suggest or imply that an entire race (not species) took one side, I may have not been clear enough though. Any idea on the question regarding jackals and skirmishers?

2m5l7hi.jpg

#45 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
2          2         

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:37 PM

I did not suggest or imply that an entire race (not species) took one side, I may have not been clear enough though. Any idea on the question regarding jackals and skirmishers?

Pretty much all of them serve as mercenaries and pirates now.

#46 UNSC Spartan-II

UNSC Spartan-II

Spartan-II

• News Group
  • 1,737 posts
Heroic

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:53 PM

Pretty much all of them serve as mercenaries and pirates now.

So they're just like they used to be before their induction to the Covenant (besides those who remain with the loyalists)?

2m5l7hi.jpg

#47 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
2          2         

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:49 AM

So they're just like they used to be before their induction to the Covenant (besides those who remain with the loyalists)?

Yes. The Kig-Yar never accepted covenant tradition as their own.

#48 UNSC Spartan-II

UNSC Spartan-II

Spartan-II

• News Group
  • 1,737 posts
Heroic

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:20 PM

Why is it that the UNSC do not use plasma weaponry? As we can see from a Halo 5 image, they have made use of an 'energy bayonet' by attaching it to the front of an Assault Rifle, giving it more melee damage. The UNSC are allies with the Sangheili, and plasma weaponry is overall more effective that bullets. Why still use bullets and not plasma?

I personally prefer bullets, even though plasma is stronger, so a legit reason as to why they are still used would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2m5l7hi.jpg

#49 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
2          2         

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:42 PM

Why is it that the UNSC do not use plasma weaponry? As we can see from a Halo 5 image, they have made use of an 'energy bayonet' by attaching it to the front of an Assault Rifle, giving it more melee damage. The UNSC are allies with the Sangheili, and plasma weaponry is overall more effective that bullets. Why still use bullets and not plasma?

I personally prefer bullets, even though plasma is stronger, so a legit reason as to why they are still used would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Aside from the Rhino's Zeus cannon, we have seen the UNSC make very little progress in reverse-engineering alien technology (Energy shields notwithstanding)

As for bullets? I don't know, but it's one of my pet peeves about halo; the UNSC military could be beaten by a 21st century military. Their weapons and vehicles technology has changed very little since now, and we have only just seen Railguns come into use, despite having functional ones now.

#50 rrhuntington

rrhuntington

Schpy

• Dedicated Members
  • 1,147 posts
Inspiring
  • Gamertag:EVOL SPARTAN ll
  • LocationOn the Ark. Still awaiting EVAC ya' know?

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:12 PM

Why are Halo's Control rooms always surrounded in Snow?

You're like a car crash in slow motion. It's like, I'm watchin' you fly through a windshield.

You'll Feel a Searing Pain for 21 Deaths

tumblr_o5ugz56RXu1u6023bo9_500.gif

#51 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
2          2         

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:37 AM

Why are Halo's Control rooms always surrounded in Snow?

Snow is a good natural barrier tht slows down a flood advance and weakens them. The delta halo quarantine zone had been wiped out then had extreme environmental control measures put in place to keep the flood weak to give Sentinels an upper hand. Of course, this was only Installation 04 and it's replacement. If you remember, Installation 05 was in the centre of a lake. That said, I00 was snow, and I can't remember if Hunters mentions 07's control room, aside from specifically not being able to locate it.

Also, it's kind of presumed the generators that feed energy for a ring's main activation pulse generate a lot of heat and the cold environment serves to assist in cooling.

#52 Caboose The Ace

Caboose The Ace

Loyal Stormtrooper of the First Order

• Dedicated Members
  • 5,246 posts
Heroic
  • Gamertag:Caboose The Ace
  • LocationStarkiller Base
11                      2         

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:46 AM

^

^

^

In Contact Harvest wasn't Johnson attacked by an Insurrectionist armed with a 20th century Smg and the bullets just pinged off his armour? :) 

The Unsc has certainly made advancements, just not as well as they should have.

tumblr_inline_o0lut5Boyj1qz9e28_500.gif

#53 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
2          2         

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:07 AM

^
^
^
In Contact Harvest wasn't Johnson attacked by an Insurrectionist armed with a 20th century Smg and the bullets just pinged off his armour? :)

The Unsc has certainly made advancements, just not as well as they should have.

It's incredibly inconsistent, not just that, but if could depend on the type of round; hollow-point isn't going to be anywhere near as good as AP in that situation, and a 9mm round will do a lot less than a .45 caliber.

However, MJOLNIR armour is impervious to bullets and shrapnel, we have bulletproof vests now; it's not a large step to imagine that a explosive ordnance disposal squad is going to be heavily armoured.

Bear in mind the cartridge used by the guns from before 343i took over used NATO Rounds- literally the same bullet as we use today. The only reason the MA5D, BR85HB, M395 and SRS99-S5/AM have a larger cartridge is because they are all designed for usage by the Spartan-IV personnel. But even then, te rounds aren't much bigger.

We also know the rifles operate the same as today because they emit a casing upon firing and are gas-operated, I would expect at least a shell-less round by the 26th century. However, we are making great strides in mass driver (Railgun and Coilgun) technology, radiation-based weaponry (Lasers, microwaves, gamma, etc) and plasma weaponry; this is technology that should be outdated by the 2500's, not cutting-edge.

#54 UNSC Spartan-II

UNSC Spartan-II

Spartan-II

• News Group
  • 1,737 posts
Heroic

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:01 PM

Today's military would have little to no chance against the UNSC. The reason as to why bullets were still used before initial contact with the Covenant, is because there was a long time of peace in which there was no (or slight) weapon development. I don't understand why the UNSC still don't use hand-held plasma weaponry.

Do you know (or have an idea) why, or believe there is no legitimate answer to it?

2m5l7hi.jpg

#55 Caboose The Ace

Caboose The Ace

• Dedicated Members
  • 5,246 posts
Heroic

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:03 PM

^

I agree....

The Unsc could just mac blast the hell out of the Modern military. :D

#56 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
2          2         

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:43 PM

Today's military would have little to no chance against the UNSC. The reason as to why bullets were still used before initial contact with the Covenant, is because there was a long time of peace in which there was no (or slight) weapon development. I don't understand why the UNSC still don't use hand-held plasma weaponry.

Do you know (or have an idea) why, or believe there is no legitimate answer to it?

I have done the research. The only feasible advances in technology the UNSC has is spacecraft and Spartans (The latter of which we can do better now)

Apart from those two things, our military night is at least on par with the UNSC army, marines, Air Force and wet navy.

Because 343 and Bungie know that if the UNSC started using plasma replacement weapons, the fanbase would ***** about it, even if it was a reskin. Using modern weapons that far in the future makes literally zero sense.

#57 Caboose The Ace

Caboose The Ace

• Dedicated Members
  • 5,246 posts
Heroic

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:47 PM

^

The Spartan armour may not be that advanced but the augmentations that make people Spartans are certainly impressive still. :)

#58 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
2          2         

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:52 PM

^

The Spartan armour may not be that advanced but the augmentations that make people Spartans are certainly impressive still. :)

I fail to see how a 50/50 washout rate is impressive. The Spartan-IV's are not augmented beyond simple implants for a reason.

#59 Caboose The Ace

Caboose The Ace

• Dedicated Members
  • 5,246 posts
Heroic

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:55 PM

^

But the ones who survive are impressive. :)

Besides the Spartan IV implants are still much better than anything we have today.

#60 BaconShelf

BaconShelf

• Dedicated Members
  • 2,371 posts
Inspiring
2          2         

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:20 PM

^

But the ones who survive are impressive. :)

Besides the Spartan IV implants are still much better than anything we have today.

Yes, because they were abducted as children and experimented on as children; procedures that do not work on a willing adult. I won't get into the ethics of the S-II program, but the augmentations themselves certainly aren't impressive. Necessary? Yes. Useful? Yes. Impressive? Absolutely not.

the spartan IV's get no strength assist from their augmentations; their GEN2 MJOLNIR does the heavy lifting and puts them on-par with an S-II in GEN1 armour.

So, GEN2 is really much better than GEN1 and is the main reason the Spartan-IV's have any success at all; they aren't much better than regular marines out of armour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users