Official Halo 5: Guardians "Two Sides" Trailer Discussion Thread

This thread is intended to serve as the hub for discussing Halo 5: Guardians' 'Two Sides' trailers: if you haven't already seen them, you can watch them below:

Speculation, analysis, and theories are all welcome here: if you've previously started a topic and would like it to be included in this thread, feel free to send me a message!

Master Chief's Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rd8FWUCCZk

Spartan Locke's Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHQiYPiNVEE

• Like 8

The most notable thing is how well the voice acting was done in both trailers.

Locke sounds like he snapped a nerve. He sounds loopy and that reflects in his body language too

Chief sounds genuinely upset. Which is new to hear in his voice. He sounds straight up mad with what Locke did to get there.

It should also be pointed out that either one or none of these trailers are true. This is part of the #HuntTheTruth campaign. We need to figure out for ourselves which side is telling the real story. Maybe none of them are? I think those #HuntTheTruth audiocasts that are being released will slowly unveil more details on what exactly is going on. By the time E3 rolls around I think we will have a more general idea and a more solid basis to form theories

The following theory I got from r/Halo(I don't remember who to credit sorry about that) but basically a user commented that he thinks the Chief's trailer is the real one and before Chief pulls the trigger he tells Locke "Tell them you killed me and had nothing to bring back" and that Locke's trailer is what he tells his ONI superiors

I don't have time but someone should really start pointing out the differences in the trailer like with the MC Statue and such. They must be important or else they wouldn't have taken the time to put them in there.

Yoshi should also post his concept art theory. I cant access the photo right now but it was really well good and no doubt has some significance!

• Like 7

I don't have time but someone should really start pointing out the differences in the trailer like with the MC Statue and such. They must be important or else they wouldn't have taken the time to put them in there.

The statue of Chief is, I think really interesting. I think it's particularly notable that while in Locke's trailer it's completely intact, in John's trailer, it's damaged.

This is important, because while Locke is looking at the Chief, Chief is looking at himself. Locke sees the legend, and says as much: this immutable, unbreakable man who has survived all of the destruction around him. However, when Chief sees it, he's not seeing the legend, but the actual man - and more importantly, he sees that he's missing a part of himself. The fact that this damage is to the back of the helmet, rather than the front, is very obviously an allusion to Cortana, and a good indicator of just how much he saw Cortana as a part of himself.

What I'm actually hoping for, is that we're going to see two campaigns: one for Locke, one for Chief, culminating in the two of them meeting. Once you finish both, having killed the other, you'd unlock a third campaign, in which rather than seeing it from either's perspective, you find out what actually happened when the two of them met at last.

At any rate, I'm really exicted by these trailers, I'm going to add more thoughts once I've rewatched them a few times!

• Like 5

2 Things.

1. The Infinity appears to be on fire in Locke's version, whereas I can't see any orange glow in the Chief's version, only smoke.(I'm wrong, it's on fire in the Chief's version too)

2. There has to be something in the way they switch their guns. Locke resorts to a more emotional, dramatic just dropping his gun in the puddle on the ground. Chief puts it on his back, like he always has.

EDIT: Alright, here's some random thought I just had.

I see a sort of a Big Boss and Solid Snake situation happening between Locke and the Chief.

I'd wager that the Chief would view his fellow Spartan IIs as family, brothers and sisters who he lived and died together all his life with. Now here's the UNSC, sending some cheap knock-off, a copy of his family...to kill him.

EDIT 2: The music. There's a distinct musical cue from past Halo games.

In the Chief's trailer, at 0:30 - 0:34 seconds what sounds like a piece from the end of The Last Spartan plays. This is when the Chief is looking at his statue. Does he view himself as the last spartan? Broken and damaged? However, the end of The Last Spartan? Could this mean that Chief's time is coming to an end? Or will he be able to show Locke what it means to be a Spartan so he won't be "The Last Spartan"?

In Locke's trailer, after about 0:09 - 0:12, we can hear that distinctive Halo theme in the background. This is just after he steps through a doorway and out into the open. Now what was one of the defining moments in Halo? Stepping through the door of that escape pod and into the wide open world. To me, this is probably showing that Locke's just beginning his journey, the same way we did all those years ago.

Edited by Ledgend1221
  • Like 3

I've posted this a couple of times here and there but not in an official thread I don't think:

There are 2 campaigns and only one is the truth according to 343 and Xbox (said on their Twitter account). 

pointed out in the Shoutbox that this must be an earlier time frame than the 2013 mini-teaser we got at E3 because Chief's visor is still intact and not shattered and he has all of his armor whereas he's missing some later. See teaser here:

So if only one can be true and the events above happen before the events the events of the dual-perspective trailers then couldn't we assume that Master Chief's side is the truth?

I think something that's very notable about these two trailers is also the Infinity. That's a MASSIVE ship that can take on super carriers by itself. Chief was on the Infinity at the end of Halo 4 but in these trailers the Infinity is burning in the sky. Now, the Infinity hasn't fallen out of the sky meaning that generators must be functional because from the looks of it, it's not in orbit. If it were, then wouldn't a ship that size crash to the surface of the planet? Something incredible must've attacked that ship to take it out and most likely something Forerunner. Or maybe an inside job?

Chief has shown his ability to defy orders in the famous Del Rio "Give Me That Chip" scene (lol) but how far is he willing to go when it comes to the only things he's ever loved and ever been capable of feeling for (Cortana, Dr. Halsey, Kelly, Fred, Linda)? Is it possible that while they were being attacked Chief devised a plan to get his armor and escape the falling ship or sabotage it himself in order to find out the whereabouts of his friends and "family"? And that could be why Locke has been sent in order to find Chief and take him out so that Chief could not cause anymore harm and be known to humanity only as "our savior and not our betrayer." 

• Like 3

Answer: they're both true and it depends on how you play the campaign, i know 343 was trying to make the campaign a little more interesting this time around. It seems like the exact kind of half-answer that they would throw out there

EDIT: or what Dan said

Question: wtf happened to make locke try to kill chief? He seemed more genuine in Nightfall, and the arbiter was suppose to just be looking for Master Chief not trying to kill him (that would be a weird break in character for the both of them)

Speculation: (prolly not true but idea nonetheless) Maybe John got a little [angry] at the covenant and he ended up causing the war between humans and covenant to continue, leading to the arbiter sending out locke to kill Master Chief in hopes of renewing a common alliance between the humans and the covenant before they destroy each other (only to end up they have the same common enemy (lol does this make sense))

EDIT: I ALMOST FORGOT someone pointed out that Locke's visor is broken in one of the trailers: His shields are frozen and says he's holding a BR when he's actually holding a DMR (or vice versa I can't remember)

I like all this analysis. A few things I noticed that haven't yet been mentioned:

1. In Locke's trailer, he's got less than a clip left in his battle rifle. In Chief's trailer, he's got less than a clip left in his assault rifle. This tells us that both must have previously been in some sort of battle, not too long before meeting each other. Chief has 3 fragmentation grenades whilst Locke has one. Both Spartans have 12 clips in their sidearm though.

2. Look at the damage done to both of the Spartans' armour. They both have a hole burned into the left side of their chest piece (along with other bits of damage). These holes must have been recent, due to the way they appear. You can see a burning ring still glowing around the hole. I'm guessing this was done by plasma, or possibly hard light. This leads me to have no idea what could have been going on to before both Spartans ended up in front of the monument. The lack of ammunition in their primary weapons (as mentioned in point 1) could have something to do with this.

3. Also something else which isn't a big deal but may as well be mentioned; Locke drops his BR to the ground (even though it contains some rounds), whilst Chief holsters his rifle on his back. This shows the difference between how professional both Spartans are. I've always seen Spartan-IVs (in general) as less professional, and Locke only proves this further. The way he talks and behaved physically during his trailer is undisciplined in comparison to Chief's trailer. The difference in professionalism could play a role in what actions are taken and how they proceed to execute those actions.

If anyone could further expand on these points, that would be great.

• Like 1

Here is a interesting comment from the Youtube comments section everyone! :)

"Agent Locke seems Master chief differently that's why the statue is damaged in Chiefs trailer. But pristine in Lockes trailer. It symbolic, its directly related to how Chief ( in his trailer ) looks at himself. And in Locke's how Locke views Chief."

Chief views himself as broken.

Locke sees Chief as a great Hero, but now a traitor.

Edited by Caboose The Ace

I terms of listing differences, Chiefs trailer seems to be either set at dawn or sundown while Locke's trailer is set during broad daylight so we can say both trailers had different time frames maybe explaining why some aspects from one look diffrent in the other.

Maybe one happened before the other?

Seems unlikely but still, it's a possibility.

I'm gonna go with the theory Buns found on r/halo though

EDIT:

After watching Chief's ad some more I though of this. What if he's not talking to Locke, but to himself?

The trailers and HunttheTruth have set this up to be a very mysterious and intriguing venture to E3. Any concerns over Locke's voice actor were quelled by his permformance on that trailer. Whatever he was on during him giving his lines, give him some more of that. I Like that they make us guess instead of just handing us answers. 

Edited by rrhuntington

I like all this analysis. A few things I noticed that haven't yet been mentioned:

1. In Locke's trailer, he's got less than a clip left in his battle rifle. In Chief's trailer, he's got less than a clip left in his assault rifle. This tells us that both must have previously been in some sort of battle, not too long before meeting each other. Chief has 3 fragmentation grenades whilst Locke has one. Both Spartans have 12 clips in their sidearm though.

2. Look at the damage done to both of the Spartans' armour. They both have a hole burned into the left side of their chest piece (along with other bits of damage). These holes must have been recent, due to the way they appear. You can see a burning ring still glowing around the hole. I'm guessing this was done by plasma, or possibly hard light. This leads me to have no idea what could have been going on to before both Spartans ended up in front of the monument. The lack of ammunition in their primary weapons (as mentioned in point 1) could have something to do with this.

I can see how this would work out.  As Locke and Chief meet and talk, they might have to work together against Forerunners, because, don't forget, there is another mysterious force at work here, and Covenant Remnant. After exerting maximum effort, and blasting through their ammo they finally clear the area after both retreating to the location (Possibly the one that they're at now.) , where Locke or Chief, turn on the other, leading to the scenes shown in the trailers shown in the OP.

In Locke's trailer, in my opinion, he sounds frustrated with how much effort he must've put in to follow Chief's trail, which could be an explanation as to why he threw his weapon to the mud below. 

In Chief's trailer, John sounds, imo don't flame me, completely changed, maybe it's his voice actor or intended but the ability to spot whether Chief is speaking to Locke, Himself, or even the "Monument" is eerily hard to choose.

Okay, so there was that one article that was posted saying this'll be Chief's last game...

and I can only hope that it's another plague brought on by the April Fool's madness of "lol I so funneh."

To me, if they're gonna bother killing off the Chief and leaving Locke as their poster child, they might actually lose me. It seems like foul play to kill off one of the mainstays of the series with their first installment, then kill off the other in the second, trying to replace it with another faceless 'hero.' All that I've heard about Locke is that he's, to put it bluntly and roughly, crazy obsessed with killing Chief, or something. No es taco. I was hoping for something more to Chief in H5-- and, yes, I might be a fangirl about this-- and possibly something about Cortana. If they're just gonna kill them off, I'd feel like it's rather disrespectful of them... sure, it might get old, but this is a Halo 1 purist speaking here: I love them both.

Maybe I'm not in the same type of boat as Game of Thrones fans (the "omg I love this character.. and now they're dead" boat), but I'm fine with them being Mary Sue's for the sake of a game.

I mean, it wouldn't be too difficult to have a "side game" to play as Locke (most likely one that I'd buy, play for a couple months, then go back to John and Cortana's game), but just killing off both characters one after the other.. just makes me wonder how long they plan on making Locke last..

Oh my god! I just thought of something...I believe the Master Chief trailer is the real truth! He said and I quote "You've completed your mission Spartan Locke. Mine...is just beginning." The e3 trailer we saw in 13 may not be from Halo 5 Guardians at all! Its most likely from Halo 6! These two trailers could be the ending to Halo 5 Guardians! Because he has absolutely no crack in his helmet at all here! Him saying that is most likely referencing to Halo 6! The 5 in the sky in the e3 2013 teaser was probably there to throw us all off! So screenshoting this!

• Like 3

When I watched both trailers I was intrigued. In Locke's trailer I noticed that the Chief had a large hole in his armour and the armour on his left shoulder was practically gone. Locke either had some big firepower with him at some stage or something happened that may have also destroyed the area they are in. In Chief's trailer, I thought Locke has sustained a lot more damage. Locke also has a large hole in his armour but sparks are flying from his back. The Chief had to also have big firepower at some stage as well. What I've got from this is that maybe the War Sphinx seen in the Halo 5 trailer is responsible for the destruction. 

Oh my god! I just thought of something...I believe the Master Chief trailer is the real truth! He said and I quote "You've completed your mission Spartan Locke. Mine...is just beginning." The e3 trailer we saw in 13 may not be from Halo 5 Guardians at all! Its most likely from Halo 6! These two trailers could be the ending to Halo 5 Guardians! Because he has absolutely no crack in his helmet at all here! Him saying that is most likely referencing to Halo 6! The 5 in the sky in the e3 2013 teaser was probably there to throw us all off! So screenshoting this!

I think the 13 e3 trailer is from halo 5. If you read the comics chief is getting signals or a small fragment of cortana or something like that. He follows the signal and finds the gravemind rebuilt on the arc from halo 3 but the gravemind gives him the data chip from the trailer to locate mendicant bias so he can help undo cortanas rampency. The giant bird thing is a sentinel operated by mendicant bias and all of this takes place right after halo 4 apparently. Halo follower has a video on it so it would make more sense if u watch it.

I think the 13 e3 trailer is from halo 5. If you read the comics chief is getting signals or a small fragment of cortana or something like that. He follows the signal and finds the gravemind rebuilt on the arc from halo 3 but the gravemind gives him the data chip from the trailer to locate mendicant bias so he can help undo cortanas rampency. The giant bird thing is a sentinel operated by mendicant bias and all of this takes place right after halo 4 apparently. Halo follower has a video on it so it would make more sense if u watch it.

I did not know  it came out yet :cray:...please use spoilers next time please. 

I did not know it came out yet :cray:...please use spoilers next time please.

Anarchy is an old member, he knows he should use spoilers. :P

That said, this is the official discussion. People are obviously going to state their opinions and reasoning. You just gotta expect that. Spoilers are courtesy in these type of threads, they're not required.

This said, I believe Locke's trailer is true. Chief needs to go.

The latest comic that came out did not have any of that. I just read it.

If your talking about this video

Theory...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFtkmn3HfzU 

A problem is that Guilty Spark is not whole anymore and he lives inside of a UNSC ship, not in the floating eye bulb anymore. Other than that that's pretty good, but honestly anything can happen in Halo 5, and that's what's got me excited.