Halo: NO SPRINT IN H5!!

Terminator

343 I would like you to understand your base of players is off of a competitive community! We do not like sprint at all... It makes the game play different we do not need it this is not COD the game does not have 10 second kill times. We are looking at about a 1 minute to 1 and a half kill time.. We don't want a super fast paced game cause halo is not meant to be that way. You need to listen to the pro player cause I guarantee if you put sprint your gonna end up with a bad outcome selling your game! Even enhancing the base speed to compensate for the sprint would be better.

I don't know...I like Sprint in Halo 5. It feels smooth and we can get around faster. I think they also did well counter-balancing it with your shields. They don't recharge if your are running around. Sprint is going to be in Halo 5, there's no doubt about it. You can either get over the fact that it'll be part of Halo or just don't play it anymore. Simple as that mate.

• Like 2

It doesn't matter how many people will want sprint to be removed, it's not going to happen. It's a core feature in Halo 5!

It's not your getaway ticket like it was in Halo 4 since your shields take way longer to recharge if you keep sprinting and you'll slow down when you're getting hit. I've played the beta and I tend to not sprint anytime other than the beginning of the round or to traverse the map a bit faster to get to the enemy. Trust me, sprinting while in combat is more of a downside.

Just because it has sprint doesn't mean it's CoD and that's just the stupidest argument ever. CoD wasn't, and certainly isn't, the first and only game that features sprint. So stop using this as an argument!

Same thing goes for claiming to be "pro". You have just as much right to voice your opinion as every other player.

If you want Halo without sprint I suggest to go back to Halo 3, since I think you want an exact copy of it anyway.

• Like 4

the game does not have 10 second kill times. We are looking at about a 1 minute to 1 and a half kill time.

Wait... What? In Cod We have about 2 second kill times usually if your spraying the weakest gun in the game. You die fast in CoD, yes. Not ten seconds though.

Halo can have battles that happen for a decent amount of time, but usually a straight up BR fight can last no longer than about 4-6 seconds, give or take a few seconds going longer. A minute to a minute and a half though? Maybe if it was two camping snipers, perhaps, but not regularly.

• Like 3

Wait... What? In Cod We have about 2 second kill times usually if your spraying the weakest gun in the game. You die fast in CoD, yes. Not ten seconds though.

Halo can have battles that happen for a decent amount of time, but usually a straight up BR fight can last no longer than about 4-6 seconds, give or take a few seconds going longer. A minute to a minute and a half though? Maybe if it was two camping snipers, perhaps, but not regularly.

If me and someone else had a BR fight for more than 20 seconds I would just run off, and go kill someone else instead of trying to kill that impossible child.

343 I would like you to understand your base of players is off of a competitive community! We do not like sprint at all... It makes the game play different we do not need it this is not COD the game does not have 10 second kill times. We are looking at about a 1 minute to 1 and a half kill time.. We don't want a super fast paced game cause halo is not meant to be that way. You need to listen to the pro player cause I guarantee if you put sprint your gonna end up with a bad outcome selling your game! Even enhancing the base speed to compensate for the sprint would be better.

You speak for the entire Competitive Halo Community, yes? Can I see a poll with results from multiple Halo Pros saying what they think about Sprint in Halo 5?  You're lacking credibility here.

What Halo is meant to be is up to the individual. I think it should be fast paced. I definitely hate how slow the original trilogy Halos were no doubt.

• Like 3

So when did I sign over my rights to you so that you could speak for me? I don't recall this at all.

Think before you post something that is speaking for others. Perhaps you should amend your post and make it clear that is your opinion and only your opinion. I for one am insulted at the arrogance forum users have in speaking for another person with out consent.

Now then, why should I listen to some arbitrary person about a game? The term "pro" means little to me. I wouldn't want to play they way they play their games period. It lacks everything I enjoy and then some.

Also you make no sense to me. You would rather they up the base player speed so that we are basically sprinting but you don't want sprint in the game? I don't get it. Perhaps it is more of a frustration to you that you actually have to toggle something in the game for an action, I don't know.

• Like 3

They balanced this s*** for people like you in a way where it ruins the fun for people who play the game to have fun, and yet you still complain. Not to mention, the way they balanced it was so well thought out. Your health doesn't recharge when you sprint... you get punished for sprinting! What more could you want! I don't see how people like you can diss' CoD for being so repetitive while you don't want innovation for your own beloved Halo. They fixed it with Halo 5, they get it. They know what you want, so stop complaining. But don't you dare expect them to remove sprint, because we can't drag our feet on the floor forever in Halo. That was ten years ago, this is now,

Actually, in Call of Duty kills times are more usually measured in fractions of seconds than whole seconds: admittedly it's been a while since I played, but I've done a quick bit of maths on the basic M4 assault rifle from Modern Warfare 2 (the last one I played competitively, so admittedly things might have changed a bit since then) and even assuming every shot is a body shot at maximum range for damage drop-off, you're looking at 5 hits to kill on a weapon that fires about 14 rounds a second - meaning a kill time of just over a third of a second. While obviously things like headshots, range, and misses will affect this, it's reasonable to assume that's the standard 'perfect' kill time in high-level play.

For comparative purposes, I've also calculated the 'perfect' kill times of a few other weapons: taking the above factors into account, it's generally fair to assume that average kill times will vary from about 25% faster (close range headshots) to 50% longer (missing half of the shots).

Scar-H (3 rounds to kill at ~11RPS) - just over a quarter of a second

FAMAS (4 rounds to kill at ~8RPS sustained) - one second. Burst weapon, so can notably kill much faster

FAMAS ('perfect' kill, 3 rounds at ~17RPS) - just under a fifth of a second

MP5K (5 rounds to kill at ~15RPS) - a third of a second

UMP45 (3 rounds to kill at ~11RPS) - just over a quarter of a second

L86 LSW (3 rounds to kill at ~13RPS) - just under a quarter of a second

RPD (3 rounds to kill at ~12 RPS) - just over a quarter of a second

USP .45 (5 rounds to kill at 20RPS) - a quarter of a second. Semi-auto fire hard capped at 20RPS, so likely to have much lower RPS in hands of average player

.44 Magnum (3 rounds to kill at ~13 rounds per second) - just under a quarter of a second. Semi-auto fire, so likely to have somewhat lower RPS in hands of average player

Thanks to the Call of Duty wiki for Damage/RPM stats!

The point I'm making here is that the 'average' kill time in Call of Duty for a skilled player is actually about a quarter of a second - this is so fast that it's actually possible to kill the average person before they can even react, as they simply can't respond quickly enough to do anything. Bear this in mind as we turn to kill times in H2A:

From the video's description, here's a list of 'perfect' kill times in H2A:

Magnum 1.51

SMG 1.52

Suppressed SMG 1.36

Assault Rifle 1.43

Battle Rifle 1.52

Plasma Rifle 2.79

Brute Plasma Rifle 2.69

Covenant Carbine 1.56

Needler 0.36

Brute Shot 0.13

Sentinel Beam 1.36

These are still fairly fast compared to a lot of other games - however, they seem roughly consistent with the kill times of their counterparts in the original Halo 2. What matters here, is that even assuming that a player is absolutely perfect with their Battle Rifle, their kill time is still going to be about six times longer than the average kill time in Modern Warfare 2 - and as I stressed before, these kill times can be shortened even further with optimum shooting conditions like headshots and close range.

This is all a very long way of making the point that claiming the average kill time in halo is about a minute is ridiculous. It takes significantly less time than that to empty the Battle Rifle's entire reserve of ammunition. Now, weirdly enough, at high-level play kill times in Halo actually tend to increase rather than decrease, as players are very careful about exposing themselves to enemy fire and kiting opponents rather than engaging them head-on: this is why a lot of matches on things like Lockdown often descend into teams grouping up atop the two towers and poking at the enemy team before retreating into cover.

If you make a habit of watching very high-level competitive Halo, it's easy to understand why you'd assume BR duels last a lot longer than they actually do. What's important to note here is that kill times in Halo are long enough that it is possible to continue a duel by breaking line of sight and evading an opponent - something which is generally not possible in Call of Duty games, unless your opponent is a particularly inefficient shooter. Because of this, the average BR duel tends to either be over in seconds, as both players refuse to back down and force a confrontation, or much longer as one player pulls back to try and win an advantage: in high-level play this is more common as teammates are usually on hand to cover the losing player's retreat, meaning they can't simply be chased down.

Put simply - yes, Halo has fairly fast kill times, but it's always been that way, and it's still not even close to the kill times you'd expect in something like the Call of Duty series.

Apologies to rrhuntington for the length of this reply, yours was just the best post to quote :)

• Like 5

Apologies to rrhuntington for the length of this reply, yours was just the best post to quote smile.png

That's cool. I'm glad to know all that stuff now. I grossly misjudged kill times in Halo. Thanks for all those stats. Need to do some research next time myself.

• Like 1

Im new, this is my first post, hey guys.

I'm not sure if you're just talking about multiplayer or if you also don't want sprint in campaign, I don't play multiplayer much myself but i think it could be nice if they had 2 different modes, one old school mode and one with all the new stuff, If they did that there could be some problems one of the main ones is that it might split the multiplayer community into 2 groups which may affect some things.

Personally I have no problem with the sprinting, I enjoyed it a lot in the halo 4 campaign, from the moments when i'm in an area with nothing going on and i just want to hurry up and get to some action, to the moments when i'm out of ammo, my energy shield is low and need to sprint to melee one last enemy before he kills me, and since you're playing as a super soldier I think sprinting makes you feel more badass and lets you do some of the cool stuff you imagine a super soldier doing. 

• Like 1

I've got an even better idea! How about we all just shut up, let them make a game, stop complaining as usual and just throw your cash at them like you know your going to anyway? You know how many years I've been reading threads and "I know whats best Halo" garbage?? 13 years!!!! Yeah, for over a decade I've moderated and participated in websites that have had this exact same bull poopy thrown around since Halo CE came out.

And you know what? You whiners and complainers STILL throw your fist full of cash at Microsoft for your Halo fix. You guys did it with Bungie, and yoyr doing it again with 343i. Hell if I took over Halo development, you'd do it to me too. My point is, never ONCE have I seen any amount of any of the particular Halo niches happy at all after all these years.

I've got an even better idea! How about we all just shut up, let them make a game, stop complaining as usual and just throw your cash at them like you know your going to anyway? You know how many years I've been reading threads and "I know whats best Halo" garbage?? 13 years!!!! Yeah, for over a decade I've moderated and participated in websites that have had this exact same bull poopy thrown around since Halo CE came out.

And you know what? You whiners and complainers STILL throw your fist full of cash at Microsoft for your Halo fix. You guys did it with Bungie, and yoyr doing it again with 343i. Hell if I took over Halo development, you'd do it to me too. My point is, never ONCE have I seen any amount of any of the particular Halo niches happy at all after all these years.

This is a forum where we discuss things like "Should sprint be in Halo 5?" or "Why are flood pods so fun to pop?"

This is what's expected.

So just take a deep breath, and calm down a little Twin. A topic like this isn't worth losing your cool over.

• Like 2

I have replied to so many topics like this, so, so many times. It now literally just saddens me to see topics like this. It topics such as these that make me feel slight pity for what the Halo community has become. Because it like gets me thinking the Halo community used to reply to people that asked this question "So why do you guys hate CoD then?" with these exact words "Because it never changes....". Now when people ask why the Halo community hate the new Halo's and their play-style they reply with "Because it changed too much!". This is what annoys me, it's less the fact that Halo now has sprint and it's more the fact that I'm now part of a community full of hypocrisy, which is a shame as Halo used to have one of the best communities out there and I used to take pride in that. My personal take on the matter is that I think that sprint was the correct direction forward for Halo and it fits in perfectly for the gameplay style.

I wish that people would just stop moaning about it and actually get on with playing the damn game, I especially wish that people would stop moaning about it on this forum as it's a very cheerful place usually and it's not even the official 343i forums, that's Halo Waypoint, just saying. Also considering most of us here are fans of 343's work, hence how we joined the fan site dedicated to them and their games! Also people say "343i have ruined Halo!" like they're a completely different company and like they completely stepped in from nowhere. Which yes, that would be true for both statements but actually like 90% of Bungie's talent stayed to work for 343i and further on Halo, as is clear when you play such 'classics' as Destiny. But anywho, we all respect your opinion, just most of us don't agree with it. Sorry if this came across as quite harsh as I'm usually a friendly guy around here but topics like these annoy me now, and topics like these are getting tiresome to reply to for absolutely everyone on the forum, but yeah. Be my guest to submit your request to the OFFICIAL Halo Waypoint forums, I doubt they'll actually see what you request but they're well aware of the portion of the community that don't like sprint and may (you never know) remove sprint.

• Like 2

Sprint has been a part of Halo for many years now, I don't think 343 will remove it just because some of their fans are complaining about it. What's the big deal anyway? So a player can sprint? Think about real life military, even those soldiers can sprint even with all that gear on. Seriously is 'sprint' really a game breaker? If anything it helps the game move smoothly and faster.

• Like 2